Why wont my Currie Johnny Joints take grease ?

connor grimes

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
cant seem to get the control arms to accept the grease, any tips? it looks gross in there and would like to get them fresh again

cant seem to get the control arms to accept the grease, any tips? it looks gross in there and would like to get them fresh again
Do they have greaseable bolts or are they greased through the body.? Greaseable bodies do not work well in the first place and it is usually better to tear them down and clean, grease and reinstall them .

they're johnny joints so they have bolt grease ports as well as around the joint body. removing them seems like a PIA and would rather avoid that

they're johnny joints so they have bolt grease ports as well as around the joint body. removing them seems like a PIA and would rather avoid that
Not all the current offerings include the greaseable bolt. That is the best way to grease them but do not try to force grease into them. Most of the time you will be lucky to get one pump into them and no more. They take a lot less grease than you might think.

I've heard they need some hours/miles of use and wear before they accept grease.

Do not force grease with the grease gun. The only wore out/damaged JJ i have ever seen were due to forcing grease with a grease gun. If they arent groaning over bumps they dont need grease.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
It might help to put your Jeep frame on jack stands to relax the suspension a bit.
But that didn’t work for me when I tried. And it was a good time to grease the other zerks though.

The bottom line on Currie's Johnny Joints is their internal tolerances are tight enough that they won't readily accept grease until they're really worn. Mine are 11-12 years old and they're still not so worn that they readily accept grease. As above, if they're not groaning when you're on the trail they're fine.

The bottom line on Currie's Johnny Joints is their internal tolerances are tight enough that they won't readily accept grease until they're really worn. Mine are 11-12 years old and they're still not so worn that they readily accept grease. As above, if they're not groaning when you're on the trail they're fine.
That's it in a nutshell... There's practically no place for it to go.

I got my first ones this year and that is such an impressive design.

Last edited: