Why won't this transfer case skid place spacer kit fit an 03?

The description shows it includes "all necessary hardware", so it probably includes new bolts that will not work on an 03.

it does not actually include any hardware. You reuse your old fasteners.

That may be the issue as well. If I remember correctly the 03 and newer uses shorter metric bolts, so with the spacers you need new bolts on an 03+. I bet the 03+ kits cost a bit more and include longer bolts.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
That may be the issue as well. If I remember correctly the 03 and newer uses shorter metric bolts, so with the spacers you need new bolts on an 03+. I bet the 03+ kits cost a bit more and include longer bolts.

they do not make an 03 with a 1/2 spacer...which is driving all my confusion. I was wondering if 1/2 wouldn’t be enough to do anything helpful on the 03+ or something. But then I see people use washers as well. Sometimes I do not know if things are intentional or random.

Don't complicate the issue. Teraflex makes a 1/2" kit for the earlier versions. They make a 1" kit for both that includes new bolts. You need one bolt diameter of thread engagement to be safe just like lug nuts. Figure out the thread pitch and how many turns that is. Take out one bolt and then thread it in that exact number of turns. Measure the gap between the skid and the bolt and the skid, that's how far you can go. If you want more buy longer bolts. Sorry for the wall of text but that's the long and short of it. You shouldn't trust that Tereflex did the math.

I always seem to get these numbers wrong so I hope somebody chimes in if it's wrong but I think the frame bolts are metric coarse which is 12 mm x 1.25 mm so that's a fraction under 10 turns required. So you take one bolt out, thread it carefully 10 turns and then measure.

Remove one of the six metric bolts holding the skidplate and take it to your local well equipped hardware or specialty bolt shop. Buy six 1" longer equivalents with an 8.8 (which is plenty strong enough) or 10.9 strength rating.

Then buy a 7" stack of washers sized to fit the new bolts. To drop it 5/8" you need slightly more than a 5/8 stack of washers around each bolt. That's because of a recess inside where the washers will sit.

I'd try 5/8" of drop to start.

Support the skidplate and loosen the bolts on one side, then remove the bolts on the other side. Lower the jack enough to insert the washers on the first side and loosely thread those bolts in. Then do the other side. Paint the washers satin black if you don't want them standing out.

Reactions: pagrey