Why would my passenger side lean an inch?

ejay

TJ Addict
I've noticed that the TJ leans a little on the passenger side for a while. Before I had some recent suspension work done. It wasn't until recently when I had the tire carrier open that I noticed it to the extreme.

I measured it with everything in its place. Tire carrier closed. 3/4 tank full. My wife not in the passenger seat. 😕 It dips about an inch on the passenger side. New shocks. New control arms. Newer front end. Same old RE springs.

What could be causing it to lean on the passenger side? I'm making the assumption that I don't have a crappy MC uneven spring situation.

Mine does it too, maybe not a whole inch but definitely noticeable.
I also have a slight pull to the right that I haven't been able to figure out

Reactions: JMT and ejay
I'd love to know what's going on. I've crawled around and looked at everything several times. I have no idea.

Driver

32E4F6CC-97A2-406C-B543-C8E954472082.jpeg

Passenger

AD0BCC05-7E0E-49E8-8583-940CD512ED44.jpeg

Reactions: D M and ejay
Yeah what component is heavier on the pass side? I do have a gas can on the driver side. Maybe if I fill that it'll even it out. Lol

I've always thought this is just the Jeep lean that develops over time due to how the motor applies torque. I'll be curious to follow along though.
Hmmm...I've wondered and asked @Alex01 about mine. I have no idea though. I will say, having owned a NV-3550, a 42rle, and the NSG-370, the NSG-370 torque effect is way more than the other transmissions. I'd look mean on a dragstrip line as I revved. About 1 second after the green light everyone would be laughing.

OME springs by any chance, they come in different length
I'm running the Rockjock 4" pre-crazy change springs. I used to have the OME. The A and B marked springs at opposing corners were supposed to level it out, right!? I never noticed the lean I notice now.

I'm glad this thread came up because I would like to figure this out. It's very noticeable IMHO

Reactions: D M and Alex01
I'm running the Rockjock 4" pre-crazy change springs. I used to have the OME. The A and B marked springs at opposing corners were supposed to level it out, right!? I never noticed the lean I notice now.

I'm glad this thread came up because I would like to figure this out. It's very noticeable IMHO
I thought it was to help with torque rise, seems like there are few theories floating around as to why it is that way.

I thought it was to help with torque rise, seems like there are few theories floating around as to why it is that way.
Yep,mine does too,r/c sent me a new spring,I installed it when I did the Dana 44 a month ago,it helped but still barely noticeable.probably need to spacer the too if the spring

Switch springs side to side and see if the sag stays with the corner or with the spring. If it follows the spring then you'd know this torque thing might be worth chasing, and if not, then it has to be something in the lateral weight distribution.

I don't remember which side it was offset toward, but I remember when I hung an improvised magnetic plumb bob from the crank pulley that the crank didn't appear centered in the frame.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
I was told the OME spring were compensating for driver weight. I really don’t know for sure though. Torque seems to have an effect under load early in a gear, but it tapers off when we are driving at steady speed. My .02
Still don’t know why we’re leanin’. I ain’t been drinking neither.

Last edited:
Reactions: Badgerbiter
I have the same issue, I remember reading that this happens especially on lifted jeeps with short arms with a rather high antisquat #. All the torque goes to the passenger rear tire under acceleration and IIRC when you have a higher AS than stock it plays a factor in making your springs sag quicker than normal

Reactions: rasband
I have the same issue, I remember reading that this happens especially on lifted jeeps with short arms with a rather high antisquat #. All the torque goes to the passenger rear tire under acceleration and IIRC when you have a higher AS than stock it plays a factor in making your springs sag quicker than normal
I noticed it within 2 months of getting new springs. Is that really possible with less than 500 miles on a set of new springs?

It’s not even a constant load. Sounds crazy to me, but maybe I’m out to lunch.

I have heard this "torque lean" before, but why only in lifted TJs, and why would the torque go only to the passenger side rear tire? I do not understand that part.

@mrblaine any credence at all to this theory whatsoever?

Reactions: Lou99 and D M
I have heard this "torque lean" before, but why only in lifted TJs, and why would the torque go only to the passenger side rear tire? I do not understand that part.

@mrblaine any credence at all to this theory whatsoever?
I know it leans under load as described due to the rotation of the engine: front driver side up, weight transfer to rear passenger, but that would be strange that it causes a spring to sag within months. Actually, I know for a fact it didn’t cause my springs to sag bc I measured them and they’re the same.

I know it leans under load as described due to the rotation of the engine: front driver side up, weight transfer to rear passenger, but that would be strange that it causes a spring to sag within months. Actually, I know for a fact it didn’t cause my springs to sag bc I measured them and they’re the same.

Thanks. I can kind of see it happening over a long period of time, but new springs sagging within months because of it still sounds crazy to me. Also, if it were to happen in every lifted TJ as quickly, we would see more reports I think? I'm curious now and will measure my rear tub height on both sides.

Reactions: JMT and D M