Why you shouldn't tow a mobile home with your TJ

I'm going to guess...
  • Insufficient tongue weight
  • Improperly hitched
  • No sway control or weight distribution
  • No trailer brakes (maybe surge brakes?)
  • No trailer brake controller
  • Overloaded trailer
  • Half full water and waste tanks=sloshing
And the obvious one that a trailer of that size couldn't ever be towed on such a short vehicle

I’m guilty. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Here’s my very first Jeep. 2 months of ownership. Sad sad day. RIP Green TJ. “The one that got away.”

Before:

After:

The trailer is probably overwight for what the TJ is 'rated' for, but could be made safe with a few setup changes steel city mentioned.

Probably not something you want to tow across the country, but shouldn't have any issues over short distances and smart driving.

• Angry
Reactions: billiebob
The possible conversation in the camera car:

1 "Hey look at this guy pulling that trailer with a Jeep!"

2 "I'm so glad we got the camera on!"

1 "I'm going to try to stop him from screwing something up."

2 "No, don't do that, I "need" something for YouTube."

1 "Dammit, that truck got in my way."

2 "Don't worry we won't be too far behind."

1 "I can't believe he's getting on the freeway."

2 "Yes! This will be great!"

1 "OMG I knew this was going to happen."

2 "Me too, I just wish we were closer while it happened."

1 "Well I guess I'll pull closer now."

2 "I'm glad you did. I didn't realize a midget was driving until we pulled up."

What happened?
Truth be told... it all boiled down to ignorance on my own behalf. Just like the guy in the video here, just at the opposite end of the spectrum. I wasn’t towing anything.

Switched to the fast lane, to get around that dumptruck in the pictures. Got hit by a gusty cross wind right as I was beside his rear tires and I got sucked into him. Climbed up him 5-6 feet, came down, hopped sideways, shot into the nice frosty grass median, overcorrected to stay out of oncoming traffic. Jeep did a 180 and it dug in. Big sideways hop, 4 barrel rolls and 2 endos. My best friend was following right behind me when it happened.
My new Jeep was toast. Even bent the frame up pretty bad. By the grace of God, I walked away with some minor injuries.

With a combination of ignorance, poor mechanical maintenance, heavy cross wind, 65-70 mph speeds, and a newbie behind the wheel of his first Jeep. Was the perfect recipe for disaster.

Looking back, it did have some major bumpsteer issues, and wondering issues. But even so, if I weren’t in such a hurry, I would have likely kept the rubber side down. Chalk one up to lesson learned I reckon.

Truth be told... it all boiled down to ignorance on my own behalf. Just like the guy in the video here, just at the opposite end of the spectrum. I wasn’t towing anything.

Switched to the fast lane, to get around that dumptruck in the pictures. Got hit by a gusty cross wind right as I was beside his rear tires and I got sucked into him. Climbed up him 5-6 feet, came down, hopped sideways, shot into the nice frosty grass median, overcorrected to stay out of oncoming traffic. Jeep did a 180 and it dug in. Big sideways hop, 4 barrel rolls and 2 endos. My best friend was following right behind me when it happened.
My new Jeep was toast. Even bent the frame up pretty bad. By the grace of God, I walked away with some minor injuries.

With a combination of ignorance, poor mechanical maintenance, heavy cross wind, 65-70 mph speeds, and a newbie behind the wheel of his first Jeep. Was the perfect recipe for disaster.

Looking back, it did have some major bumpsteer issues, and wondering issues. But even so, if I weren’t in such a hurry, I would have likely kept the rubber side down. Chalk one up to lesson learned I reckon.
Wow that sounds like quite a ride. Glad you made out ok Heath wise and learned something too. I actually try to keep my TJ off the interstate and 55mph and higher roads. I know my TJ can do it, but too much can go wrong and if it does, they are too prone to roll. Luckily it’s not my primary.

Reactions: TJBob
For anyone actually interested in the subject, here is a really good study on trailer stability:
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.1029.4946&rep=rep1&type=pdf
In summary:
  • Tongue weight is extremely important
  • Increasing trailer tongue length increases stability significantly
  • Increasing trailer rotational inertia, but not necessarily trailer mass, decreases trailer stability
  • Trailer stabilizers add a small but not insignificant benefit
  • Increased tire pressure increases stability marginally
  • By far speed is the biggest cause of wrecks
Note they only tested one of two types (oscilliatory) of stability. The other kind (divergent) occurs when you slam on the brakes on a curve and the trailer jacknifes.

Other things to note they didn’t test:
  • Longer wheelbase and higher curb weight increase stability
  • Stiffer springs, shocks, and sway bars increase stability
  • Electronic brake controllers can save your bacon
  • Weight distributing hitches improve stability
  • The closer the hitch point is to the rear axle, the more stable the system is. This is one of the main reasons gooseneck and 5th wheel trailers exist. Use of extensions or long hitch bars will have a severe negative impact on trailer stability.
  • Trailer mass will have a significant negative impact on the divergent type trailer stability, but this effect can be mitigated with properly adjusted trailer brakes

Last edited:
Insurance industry rates the Wrangler as one of the best vehicles for driver survival.
The worst rated vehicle is the Nissan 370Z.

Which makes me wonder why the liability insurance on my tj is 2x what it is for my miata, baja or land cruiser...

Reactions: JP13
Which makes me wonder why the liability insurance on my tj is 2x what it is for my miata, baja or land cruiser...

Liability basically covers other people/property that are harmed by your vehicle, not your likelihood of being killed while in your jeep. The roll cage is probably largely responsible for keeping you from getting killed in your Jeep.

Jeeps do have a higher tendency to roll and you have no control on what you might hit while rolling. And the brakes are marginal at best and worse than that when you install larger tires as many Jeep owners do.

So while you may be less likely to be killed while in your Jeep, my guess is that statistically, you're more likely to hit something you shouldn't while driving a Jeep.