Why you shouldn't tow a mobile home with your TJ

Dash cams are fun. What an amazing catch. I am always trying to catch crazy shit with mine. In Arizona, it rarely rains, but when it does, and I am in my motorcycle, I wear a Go Pro. One so if I get killed the police can see what stupid thing I did or someone else did before I died. But two if you ever said "People don't know how to drive in the rain!" Well you can believe they don't here either. I have never caught anything fun though anyway. I mean outside of the normal driving way to slow or driving way too fast.

One day riding home on my R1 I rolled up next to this dude on a r6 and he took off like a bat out of hell, and a lady in a SUV took a left right in front of him and he hit her head on. I mean with some force. He hit so far he probably flew 30 feet straight up leaving one of his legs behind and losing his helmet. The R6 flew in the air and landed, and actually exploded like an episode from Chips. It was the craziest thing I have ever seen right in front of me. It was a sunny day so I didn't have my go pro on, but I am totally fine with that. It took me a while to stop playing that movie in my mind as it were.

If I actually had a dash cam, I would probably would have followed that Jeep around waiting for something like that. That was pretty amazing that they thought they were going to get away with that. What a crazy video. I hope they were alright, and later could buy a proper truck to do that kind of towing with. It looked like it handled it like a boss right up to that point though. Probably gave the driver a false sense of security. Nice catch on the camera.

Oboy,
Guess we're coming from different perspectives.
I have to respect those with varying opinions, experiences.

Rving has been a life style for many years and put my families safety and those around me at the forefront of my concerns.

I know first hand how to to properly set up an anti sway hitch, break controller and towing well within the towing specifications of tow vehicle.

The last thing I want speeding past me is a TJ pulling more than a wheelbarrow.....keep them on the back roads. Lol

If you understand dynamics, short wheelbase vehicles are simply inadequate unless your aware of the limitations.

I wouldn't ever tow anything like the video. I would build a small offroad cargo trailer to within the OEM's max tow weight (2000 lbs) and frontal surface area limit (I can't recall the limit right now).

Even if I had an LJ I don't think I would go over 3000 lbs.

Reactions: PCO6
Dash cams are fun. What an amazing catch. I am always trying to catch crazy shit with mine. In Arizona, it rarely rains, but when it does, and I am in my motorcycle, I wear a Go Pro. One so if I get killed the police can see what stupid thing I did or someone else did before I died. But two if you ever said "People don't know how to drive in the rain!" Well you can believe they don't here either. I have never caught anything fun though anyway. I mean outside of the normal driving way to slow or driving way too fast.

One day riding home on my R1 I rolled up next to this dude on a r6 and he took off like a bat out of hell, and a lady in a SUV took a left right in front of him and he hit her head on. I mean with some force. He hit so far he probably flew 30 feet straight up leaving one of his legs behind and losing his helmet. The R6 flew in the air and landed, and actually exploded like an episode from Chips. It was the craziest thing I have ever seen right in front of me. It was a sunny day so I didn't have my go pro on, but I am totally fine with that. It took me a while to stop playing that movie in my mind as it were.

If I actually had a dash cam, I would probably would have followed that Jeep around waiting for something like that. That was pretty amazing that they thought they were going to get away with that. What a crazy video. I hope they were alright, and later could buy a proper truck to do that kind of towing with. It looked like it handled it like a boss right up to that point though. Probably gave the driver a false sense of security. Nice catch on the camera.

That's not my video, by the way. Just an internet find.

I have a dash cam in my F150, and I plan to get one for my jeep. I just need to find a water resistant one.

The last thing I want speeding past me is a TJ pulling more than a wheelbarrow.....k
Daily for work... 10,000 miles a year...in the mountains.
A few pics...

2000# loaded. ^^^^ 10,000 miles a year, for 10 years.
Wish my TJ tires lasted as long.

Bringing back parts, 600 mile round trip, several times a year.

Demolition in a National Park at 6000 feet above sea level.
All downhill to 1500 feet above sea level.
All legal, under 2000 pounds.
No trailer brakes, no issues.

This ^^^^ was a bit over weight....
It scaled at 3700#. Live and learn.
Only 3 miles to the dump but,
Should have been 2 loads.

A few of these every year.

And my 2017 project. A double bed and kitchen, plus......

Hard door, tubular door storage....

The TJ is an incredible tow vehicle. But if you have never towed before, ya be cautious.
That said, there is no reason why it cannot do what it is rated to do.
Rain, Shine, Snow.... Don't do it if you are uncomfortable.
But it can do it all.

All my trailers, boat included are 5' wide.
Same width as the TJ. Lets me tow with the stock mirrors.
AND gives great vision of what the trailer is doing when reversing...
before it fucks off.

Short wheelbase vs long wheelbase.
Anyone else notice on the youtube videos how many of those wobbles involved full size SUVs ................ just sayin'

Last edited:
Reactions: Schwifty Rich
Daily for work... 10,000 miles a year...in the mountains.
A few pics...

View attachment 83080

2000# loaded. ^^^^ 10,000 miles a year, for 10 years.
Wish my TJ tires lasted as long.

View attachment 83081

Bringing back parts, 600 mile round trip, several times a year.

View attachment 83082

View attachment 83083

Demolition in a National Park at 6000 feet above sea level.
All downhill to 1500 feet above sea level.
All legal, under 2000 pounds.
No trailer brakes, no issues.

View attachment 83086

View attachment 83087

This ^^^^ was a bit over weight....
It scaled at 3700#. Live and learn.
Only 3 miles to the dump but,
Should have been 2 loads.

View attachment 83088

A few of these every year.

View attachment 83089

And my 2017 project. A double bed and kitchen, plus......

Hard door, tubular door storage....

View attachment 83093

The TJ is an incredible tow vehicle. But if you have never towed before, ya be cautious.
That said, there is no reason why it cannot do what it is rated to do.
Rain, Shine, Snow.... Don't do it if you are uncomfortable.
But it can do it all.

All my trailers, boat included are 5' wide.
Same width as the TJ. Lets me tow with the stock mirrors.
AND gives great vision of what the trailer is doing when reversing...
before it fucks off.

Short wheelbase vs long wheelbase.
Anyone else notice on the youtube videos how many of those wobbles involved full size SUVs ................ just sayin'
Yikes. If you tried to pull that last rig in Wyoming you’d need at least one change of shorts and an AED machine within the first 20 miles.

Yikes. If you tried to pull that last rig in Wyoming you’d need at least one change of shorts and an AED machine within the first 20 miles.
My Uncle lived in Denver, I've driven thru Wyoming, Casper, Chugwater way 10 times with my TJR, 4 times with a trailer. Chugwater was where my door got ripped open. The wind was 80mph that day. I was towing the cargo trailer loaded with family heirlooms.

No issues. No one was going over 40mph.

Wyoming is the only place I've had a ticket for driving 3mph over the limit,
78mph in a 75 zone.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Starting
Yeah, I've used the Firestone airbags on rear leafs before, worked as advertised.
I ran the shrader valve out through one of the licence plate screw holes for quick access.

Installation is straightforward but tedious.

many thanks, I have thought about this often. But only looked at the Firestone air bags so far. I might do this this summer.

I'd like to put one of these kits in the front and in the rear after a suspension lift. Then I can level the jeep at any loading configuration or tongue weight. They can even be plumbed to level side to side for when your "big boned" friend hops in.

Cargo carrier in the front? Pump up the front.
Too much tongue weight? Pump up the back.

Install is very easy:
https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install...per-springs-2004-jeep-wrangler-al60811.aspx#/
I would probably install them with separate lines to each bag to reduce body roll, but put in a normally closed valve that connects the bags so I can open it to increase flex off road.

The only thing is you may have to get creative with where you place your bumpstop extensions.