Why you want a Mopar radiator

freedom_in_4low

I'm a rooster illusion
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I posted this a while back in *ahem* another forum, before I was a member here, but it seems useful so I'm bringing it here.

In 2018, I had recently installed a winch and was seeing my 4.0 run warm. On a hot day, it was getting to 235. Even in 60 degree weather, it was getting into 220 territory. At the time I lived at 6000' in south Colorado Springs and commuted 40 miles to 4700' in Pueblo. The climb back up in 95°F heat was where I had the most trouble.

Note that the important thing is, regardless of my elevation, outdoor temp, or the presence of a winch, a properly operating factory cooling system will handle this stuff just fine.

My radiator looked pretty fresh. The coolant was brown enough that I couldn't tell whether it was supposed to be green or gold. So I did a flush with ThermoCure by Evapo-Rust and replaced with 50/50 distilled water and the all makes/models green coolant. I also replaced the thermostat, flushed the heater core, and put on a new fan clutch. Still overheated.

Following the helpful advice of some forum members, I checked the radiator. It was NOT a Mopar. So I ordered a Mopar radiator and swapped them out.

You can tell a Mopar by the embosed logo on the back side of the lower tank, above the drain valve.

nbrdc6.jpg

The first thing you'll notice is that the new Mopar unit is black and the aftermarket is bare aluminum. If it's the common black coating used in the air heat exchanger industry, it's usually referred to as "e-coat", which most simply might be described as underwater powder coating. It has negligible effect on heat transfer but it does extend the life of the heat exchanger by preventing corrosion.

The top shows that the upper tank/header is similarly shaped but definitely a different mold as the joint lines are in different places and the radii of the curves are different. I'm curious what the feature is next to the inlet connection that appears to be a stiffening rib or something?

34t21ww.jpg

NOW FOR THE IMPORTANT PARTS

The FIN. This is tedious to show in a photo so I'm just going to explain it. This is the thin metal wavy strips that goes between the thin vertical tubes. The mopar has 17 fins per inch while the aftermarket unit has 16. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but it is a 6% reduction in secondary heat transfer surface area.

The TUBES:
ae9kw1.jpg

If it seems in the photo like the tubes might be a little closer together in the new Mopar radiator, it's because they are. What this amounts to is a total of 44 tubes in the aftermarket radiator, and 55 in the Mopar. Since the tubes are similarly sized (both have a 1" deep core), that means the aftermarket radiator has a ~20% reduction in primary heat transfer surface area on top of the 6% reduction in secondary.

So it appears that the aftermarket company quantified how much margin was present in the factory setup and eliminated that margin, resulting in overheating when stressed with things like high temps, elevation, and a winch blocking airflow.

I repeated the flush (no Thermocure this time, just hose water, then distilled) and sprung for the Zerex G-05 HOAT coolant this time around. I'm happy to report that in the same conditions I was hitting 235, I now don't even get to 210.

So the moral of the story is, if you need a radiator, buy Mopar. And if you're running warm and you've eliminated the other possibilities, then your aftermarket radiator is a likely culprit.

The sad part is that it's already getting hard to find Mopar radiators. I would give it maybe a few more years at most before we're at the mercy of the Chinese and other shitty "aluminum" radiators.

Wish someone would make a decent aftermarket solution that doesn't fail in 2-3 years.

Yep, fuel pumps are basically a goner. Though I've heard the Delphi ones might be okay?

At some point you just have to say to yourself, "Shit, if I can't get parts for this thing, I'll solve this problem by swapping in an LS!".

Fuel pumps too, almost tempted to buy a clock spring "just in case."
Yup, we have to face the fact that the “newest “ TJ is 14 years old.
If you intend to keep yours on the road buyin a few spare parts now may save you a headache later.

Reactions: pagrey
My new oreilly's special leaks out of the box... That alone is going to persuade me to buy a mopar one.

Common myth. You can legally do an LS swap into a TJ.
Now this is something I want to know about. I did a bit of research on this a while ago and thought that the restrictions were quite difficult. Such as an engine, trans,and t-case out of a same year or newer from the same class of vehicle and the same manufacturer. All had to go together along with all of the smog stuff.

CARB referee would then have to inspect it and I heard they rarely, if ever, give a thumbs up. I would love to hear about a real world TJ swap in CA.

Reactions: Chris
Now this is something I want to know about. I did a bit of research on this a while ago and thought that the restrictions were quite difficult. Such as an engine, trans,and t-case out of a same year or newer from the same class of vehicle and the same manufacturer. All had to go together along with all of the smog stuff.

CARB referee would then have to inspect it and I heard they rarely, if ever, give a thumbs up. I would love to hear about a real world TJ swap in CA.
You have to go to a referee station and chat with the referee and explain what you are doing. Most will walk you through it and give you what you need to get it to pass.

Reactions: FJQue and matkal
You have to go to a referee station and chat with the referee and explain what you are doing. Most will walk you through it and give you what you need to get it to pass.
Thanks for that MrBlaine. I looked up the requirements and it looks like the info I had in the past was incorrect. Not meaning to hijack the thread but here are the requirements in appendix D.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/Smog_Check_Reference_Guide.pdf
This may be on on my horizon at some point.

Thanks for that MrBlaine. I looked up the requirements and it looks like the info I had in the past was incorrect. Not meaning to hijack the thread but here are the requirements in appendix D.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/Smog_Check_Reference_Guide.pdf
This may be on on my horizon at some point.
The process is not easy, but not impossible. The difficulty of the process is what I think has led most to believe and repeat that it wasn't doable. It very much is but again, not that easy. I know from a few who have done it is you want to establish a relationship with a referee and follow through with him or her from start to finish.

Explain that you want to do it correctly, you want to know exactly what they want to see and you aren't trying to pull one over on them or sneak by with anything questionable.