Wide Open Design

Man they make some cool stuff. I've seen The Grubb JL on Flex Rocks and Rollovers and it is one capable Jeep, if you can even call it that anymore.
I saw that Scott Grubb's JL was for sale not too long ago. I wonder if this is his new ride?
Seriously though, Wide Open Designs for the win!

Reactions: Wildman
Al I can say about this one is:
GettyImages-95919157-579a41225f9b589aa927a63c.jpg

My instinct says that a ground-up turn-key build on a tube chassis like this is well north of $100k.

In the case of Scott Grubb's build, I wanna say he started with a brand new JL 2 door Sport, then built a rock bouncer chassis to mate to. It was one of the first 2 door JL's that I remember seeing when they first hit the market. They even kept a lot of the dash intact which turned our really cool! The last I saw this was for sale, priced at $115k.
https://www.wideopendesign.com/blog/scott-grubbs-jeep-jl

I told @Wildman that another company built the 5.9 TJ I’ve recently been playing with, but did some research and I’m fairly sure it was WOD.

I would say something like he posted above pushes 6 figures or beyond. What you see is only a resemblance of what it originally was .

While they look like they would drive “perfect”, some are hardly streetable, have lots of roll and oversteer, and are fairly loud inside....at the same time off road, they are near unstoppable.

A v8 Tj Crawler on 60’s would shake out something like this at a pro shop as a starting point-

6500-7500 donor 4 cylinder vehicle

35,000 in parts

30,000 labor

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildman