Wife's 2-door XJ stolen

UPDATE: We got the ol' girl back! Got the call a little before 8:00pm, and I hauled ass over to where it was. Only about a mile and a half away, at most. When I arrived, the hood was propped up, and there were jumper cables on the roof. They had busted out the plastic around the ignition, but my key still worked in the ignition and the doors. Evidence that they used a slim-jim to get in. Brand new battery, but she just clicks when I hit the starter. They stole the stereo, so maybe they blew a fuse of some sort in doing so. They took a few things that were in the back, but left us a pair of boxer shorts. But shit, they ain't even my size. Bastards! One broken off center cap (odd), but no body damage anywhere.

When I got there, the engine was still warm. There's no oil in the water, or water in the oil, and the crank rolls over by hand. I think they stopped to get the stereo out, maybe blew a fuse or something (?), and couldn't get it to restart. That, or they cut some of the wrong wires, or something. I won't be able to really look into it until the weekend.
I got to meet the woman who called it in, and it was great to be able to thank her in person. Also, AAA was looking at a two and a half hour arrival time. Fortunately, the cop pulled me aside and said that being as it was so close to home, if I wanted to just tow it home myself with a strap or chain, he wouldn't say anything. Very cool! So, my son and I did just that. It's now tightly sandwiched between the truck and Blazer. I need to get new plates for it, as they're gone.

I'd like to give a shout-out to @Vasq for helping me with all this. He posted it on the neighborhood watch site as soon as he heard about it, and he listened to me vent about the situation. It really helped immensely. Also, thanks to all of you for the kind words and support. You guys are the best, and I appreciate each and every one of ya. Thank you!

Now, I'm gonna have a cup of coffee and relax. (phew!)

Absolutely relieved to see this post Mark, I just saw the thread a few minutes ago and almost made a slight fool of myself by posting pics and description on Facebook for all my friends living in your neck of the woods...(and no it's not just 1 person🤨). I'm glad it was found so quickly and relatively un damaged. When I lived in South Everett I had someone try to steal my 97 TJ luckily I had an alarm with external and internal proximity sensors and an ignition cut out. Even though aftermarket alarms are not 100% foolproof, when they are within earshot they can make all the difference in the world.

Reactions: Squatch
Pulled the starter out, and found the ring gear is pretty chewed up. I decided to go ahead and take a chance on installing the new starter, hoping that the ring gear wouldn't cause any problems. It fired right up, without any weird engine noises. I win! I started it several times, and never encountered any engagement issues, so I'll hold off on replacing the flex plate for now. Repaired a couple other things, as well, so feeling better about the old girl. Glad to have her back in operation. (y)

Pulled the starter out, and found the ring gear is pretty chewed up. I decided to go ahead and take a chance on installing the new starter, hoping that the ring gear wouldn't cause any problems. It fired right up, without any weird engine noises. I win! I started it several times, and never encountered any engagement issues, so I'll hold off on replacing the flex plate for now. Repaired a couple other things, as well, so feeling better about the old girl. Glad to have her back in operation. (y)
Sometimes you just get lucky. Good for you bro.

Reactions: Squatch
Awesome you got her going again and things sound and look relatively normal.
Now before you get that kill switch thingy installed, go and take off the dizzy before you leave her outside alone at night again. 😉

Reactions: Squatch and Tomcat
Any word on possible security footage from the convenience store?

Any word on possible security footage from the convenience store?
Not yet. The officers seemed really pleased to have the receipt from the store, though, as it has the time and everything right on it. They both said stuff like that really helps nail these guys, and that the detectives just love it when things like this show up. Who knows, maybe they were just being enthusiastic for my benefit. Then again, maybe it really will help catch the little prick. Here's hoping!

Just an update on the theft of the XJ...

We received a call from the police stating that they had caught the suspects, and that they have filed the charges against them. Said there are a whole slew of charges against these two, actually, and that the case won't likely end up in court, as the suspects will probably end-up making a plea deal. Whatever happens to them, I hope it's more than just a slap on the wrist. Regardless, I love that they basically hung themselves by leaving the receipt from the convenience store in the Jeep. Not the brightest bulbs in the pack, are they?

Just an update on the theft of the XJ...

We received a call from the police stating that they had caught the suspects, and that they have filed the charges against them. Said there are a whole slew of charges against these two, actually, and that the case won't likely end up in court, as the suspects will probably end-up making a plea deal. Whatever happens to them, I hope it's more than just a slap on the wrist. Regardless, I love that they basically hung themselves by leaving the receipt from the convenience store in the Jeep. Not the brightest bulbs in the pack, are they?
Glad to hear your local LE stayed on top of it!
DDD986AE-2441-4F59-946B-A4E2B5118AF3.jpeg