Wife's 2-door XJ stolen

Useless in my opinion, wasted time and energy and I feel that way as a tech nerd. Take a look at Blaine's recent video of folks stealing his packages and explain what good it does watching a video of somebody stealing your stuff.
I would tend to agree with you as far as it being an "after the fact" thing, but I do believe they have their purpose. God forbid that something worse than a car theft were to happen, then at least there's footage (hopefully) of the perpetrator(s).

Reactions: L J
Those are nice! (y)
Extremely easy to set up. I just checked mine from 1200 miles away.

BE4833E4-1CFB-4C40-8F7D-CE59ABA5C209.png

So, I revisited a thread started back in '17 by @CodaMan on installing a kill switch that utilizes a "combination" by manner of some rocker switches that are "hidden in plain sight". I love the idea, but will have to really do my homework, as electrical has never been my forte.

As @Vasq pointed out, another Cherokee was stolen this morning. It was last seen in the same area that ours was recovered from. Great. Someone obviously favors these. What I cannot figure out is how they got ours. First off, let me say that yes, the doors were definitely locked, and all keys are accounted for. Now, there's some evidence of a slim-jim being used on the driver's door. Both door locks are undamaged. My key still works in the ignition, as well. I don't recall if the steering was locked when I went to retrieve it. I need to look into whether they somehow broke that mechanism, or not. I'm just at a loss as to how they did this. I guess an honest man doesn't know these things...yet!

@Squatch do look up the system I posted in this thread. It truly is a great design. I am going to put that in my XJ after I read your story today.

@Squatch do look up the system I posted in this thread. It truly is a great design. I am going to put that in my XJ after I read your story today.
I did take a quick look at it, but I have to admit that I've been looking at a lot of different things these past two days. I'll go back and revisit it, buddy. Thank you, Sri!

Reactions: reddvltj
Just wanted to give a little update on the XJ. So, the wife and I went out to take a better look at the interior of the rig. It was the first time since getting it home that either of us could bear to do so (just a bit too heartbreaking to deal with). Anyways, here's some of what we discovered;

*The "wings" that surround the ignition switch are gone. Maybe this exposes something that aids them in starting it?
*The stereo was unplugged, vs. having the wires cut. They even did so without destroying the surrounding plastic dash pieces. Glad for that.
*The ashtray full of quarters is gone.
*Interior smells like a whorehouse. Who the hell actually wears that stanky-ass stuff?
*The door switch for the dome light was ripped out and tossed on the floor. I'm assuming this was so the dome light didn't illuminate their shenanigans.
*Left a joint on the package tray. (((flush))) "Dave's not here!" :LOL:

And my favorite...

They left a receipt from a cash purchase of some junk food at a local minimart with the store's address, date, and exact time of purchase! It was from about 15 minutes before I discovered the Jeep was missing.

I called an officer a while ago, and told him what we had found. I asked if they would even bother with following up on it by seeing if the store had any surveillance footage of the individual making the purchase. He said he felt it was worthwhile to do so, but that it really kind of depends on the officers involved as to whether or not they would pursue it. I'll call them again tomorrow when I'm home, and see if I can get them to act upon it. I'd like to think they would. Maybe it's someone they're already are familiar with.

I also think I know what happened, as far as them abandoning it when and where they did. So, even though I had just put a new battery in it a couple of weeks ago, I always felt that the starter still cranked a little slow, like maybe it's dragging. It was something I was going to look into, in fact. Well, when I took a look down at the starter, I noticed that the new oil filter I had installed was all beat up on the top edge, like someone had been banging and/or prying something against it. XJs have an elbow oil filter adapter designed to have the filter run parallel with the engine block, due to clearance issues with the frame rail. Right underneath the end of the oil filter is the starter solenoid. The solenoid looks to be actually cocked over to one side, like someone was prying against it. Interesting.

I think they stopped to liberate the stereo from the rig, and when they went to restart it, the starter wouldn't comply. They then tried using the tire iron that was in the back to bang on the starter and/or pry on the solenoid, thereby causing the damage I'm seeing to both the oil filter and the starter solenoid. When that failed, they abandoned the vehicle. So, if I'm correct, I may simply need to replace the starter to get it operational again. Let's just hope I don't hear any internal knocking, or anything like that, once I get 'er going again. 🤞