Wild hair outing...

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
So I got a wild hair today to head out and see some countryside. The folks on the east coast who are wrestling with snow may appreciate looking at someplace that isn't buried in the white stuff.

Anyway, here you go for your viewing pleasure.
20160124_140616.jpg

Loaded up and ready to head out. You may give me crap about the farm jack on the front if you wish, but it's what I have at the moment.

20160124_144922.jpg

Wine country, or is that whine country?

20160124_145445.jpg

Moore's Valley. It's one of those places you wouldn't think to look for unless you knew it existed. This is why the pioneers crossed the plains in covered wagons. If you can't grow a crop here, give it up, you're not a farmer.

20160124_151448.jpg

Happy Ducks, Just because...

20160124_151523.jpg

Wish you could fish that, but it's McGuire Reservoir. Off limits.

20160124_153254.jpg

Just another forest road. There's hundreds of miles of them around here. Not to technical, huh?

20160124_153421.jpg

"Big Meadow" as the locals call it. There are two herds of Elk that live here.
20160124_153503.jpg

Lot's of water this time of year...fish too.

20160124_160527.jpg

This is one of the reasons you don't build a tall Jeep around here. And why you carry an axe. We get trees across the trails all the time. It's just part of the scenery. It's really messed up if a BIG one drops across the road after you go through though. Sometimes it's a long ways to go around.

20160124_160929.jpg

One of my favorite camping spots. The moss is about three inches thick here. Hardly need a pad to sleep on.

20160124_161110.jpg

The picture is a little fuzzy, but that's a lot tighter than it looks. You can't see this trail from the road, either. It's on the down hill side of an outside corner. It just kind of drops away into the trees and heads down the hill.

20160124_161406.jpg

There's a trail off to the left there somewhere!

20160124_161418.jpg

There it is! Gotta know what to look for, or you'll miss the really cool spots.

20160124_161555.jpg

Another nice camping spot. We actually get the Suburban in here, with the Oldest Daughter's rig and a pretty nice camp setup. Grandkids have a blast in this area.

20160124_164838.jpg

Kind of a kiddie flex here, but who ever tries to show off the flex on a stock Jeep?

20160124_164854.jpg

Yup, that's almost full stuff right there with stock sized tires and stock suspension. AOR is setting me up with new fender flares on Monday.

20160124_164905.jpg

That tire is just barely on the ground. Ran the Jeep up the pile until I lost traction, hopped out and snapped some pictures.

Last edited:
I was going to upload one more thing, but apparently I can't upload an MP4 file. Got a video of trying out some loads in the Ruger Super Blackhawk...first time for shooting a video with the phone of shooting. I guess that I'll have to try and figure that out. It's kind of a fun video.

If you want to upload an MP4 upload it to Youtube and then just load the video on here even if it's just sound.

Looks like you ha some fun! That thing will love you once you get a lift and some larger tires!

If you want to upload an MP4 upload it to Youtube and then just load the video on here even if it's just sound.

Looks like you ha some fun! That thing will love you once you get a lift and some larger tires!

OK, I'll check that out. Never uploaded anything to Youtube before.

Yup, the little Jeep is really telling me she needs some lovin'. We haven't really run into anything that we couldn't handle yet, but there are some trails on the other side of the river that I haven't tried. Heck, there are some trails north of Highway 6 that keep calling to us. Any of those are beyond what I'd try right now.

Off to YouTube!

Reactions: Chris
Alrighty then...got it to work.

That's the Ruger Super Blackhawk. I was testing some loads out today and thought that I would try a little video just for giggles. The Power Pistol powder loads were OK, and seem to work well. The heavy Win296 loads were just a bit too much fun, and not very accurate. the little bit lighter ones are going to work out just fine. I've hunted Elk with that pistol, and it works just fine even though it's a pain to carry in a rig. I have to use a shoulder rig to even attempt to carry it on me in the rig.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron505 and Chris
I like it! Nothing like a good old revolver!
Revolvers rock, especially a good, solid single action. I've had a bunch of pistols over the years by various manufacturers and in various calibers. All but two have gone away.

The Colt National Match Gold Cup Elite is my "Sunday go to meeting" dress pistol. It's stock and unmolested. One of 500 made back in the 1980's or so. I can regularly hit milk jug sized targets with it out to 100 yards. That's using a cast 230 grn round nose bullet at 850 fps. About six cents each, as the primer is the single most expensive item for reloading. Got a steal of a deal on it back in the 1990's and have been shooting the crap out of it since. Still has the finger barrel collet that everyone complained about, and caused Colt to stop using.

The Ruger SBH is my other pistol (technically, a revolver). Owned it for a very long time and have shot the snot out of it as well. Shoot a cast 250 grn Keith semi-wadcutter out of it. The slowest that I've run it is about 850 fps and the fastest is about 1,600 fps. It really likes loads in the 1300 - 1400 fps range. It will shoot all the way through one of our big Roosevelt Elk at any angle, pretty much, with the hotter loads and a 12 - 13 bhn cast bullet. Fun to shoot as well. It's accurate way past reasonable pistol range. Need to send it back to Ruger though. I've ran so much ammo through it that it's getting loose.

I'm thinking that the next pistol is going to be a specialized woods carry pistol. Looking at a Ruger Stainless Redhawk in 45 Colt with a 4" barrel. The revolver equivalent of a truck gun for carrying on my hip.

Reactions: Chris