Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

Rick - I think the steering geometry is going to cause you a little bump steer. Can you lower the frame side track bar mount at all? Another option would be a difference pitman arm. Your drag link is flat enough you could run a completely flat pitman - that’s what I do - to maybe raise that side of the drag link a bit. It’s hard to tell how far your current steel pitman arm drops in the pictures.

I bought a different frame side bracket that would lower it a little more plus push it outside the frame to give me a longer trackbar. My drag link is 35" and the trackbar is 30" so a longer trackbar would be nice.

Reactions: Alex01
I bought a different frame side bracket that would lower it a little more plus push it outside the frame to give me a longer trackbar. My drag link is 35" and the trackbar is 30" so a longer trackbar would be nice.
That would do it.

Reactions: Wildman
That would do it.

Doing that front stretch kit makes it possible for my to use a outside the frame TB bracket because I can move it forward of where the air bag sits. That was what was stopping me from doing it before. I need to weld it together and then mount it up and see how it looks. This is the TB bracket I got.

https://www.tmrcustoms.com/collecti...niversal-track-bar-bracket-frame-mount-offset
1613834867950.png

I also need to get that pitman arm screwed on all the way as that might raise it up a little. I still have the flat pitman arm like the one you used that I can use if needed.

I had to move the tie rod down off the high steer arms because it was hitting the pitman arm.

20210220_125607.jpg

20210220_125629.jpg

So the tie rod is down on the knuckles now.

20210220_135541.jpg

It's still flipped to the top so it's not as low.

20210220_135550.jpg

And it clears the pitman arm.

20210220_135610.jpg

Then I welded the outside the frame TB bracket together.

20210220_140457.jpg

20210220_140501.jpg

20210220_141638.jpg

20210220_141644.jpg

20210220_141657.jpg

This will let me have a longer trackbar.

I'm also thinking I'm going to try and mount the hydro assist cylinder to the trackbar bracket on the axle.

20210220_135956.jpg

But will have to wait until I get the tie rod made to see how that will work.

Also been doing my calculations and if everything is correct it looks like I can run 12" travel shocks in the front. I have some different shock towers that @WSS made that I need to weld together and install.

Spyderlocks come with 3.5” of back spacing and your wanting even less?

I'll have to wait until I get the tires mounted and then the rims mounted onto the rig to answer that question. If the tires are getting into the frame or lower links in the front when steering then YES I will end up using the spacers. If I can turn from lock to lock without any issues without the spacers then I will have to give it more thought.

My front axle is about an inch wider than a stock TJ axle so the added width MIGHT be a good thing. And the rear axle is 60.5" WMS wide so the spacers might be needed to help keep the tires out of the outboard shock mounts. Only time will tell.

I was all planned an ready to tack that new trackbar bracket onto the frame but then Jeff @NashvilleTJ asked on the Jeepforum if I had checked to make sure that the SwayLoc arm would clear it or not. Well Guess What??? Nope of course not...

20210221_142517.jpg

20210221_142521.jpg

So I was back to using the TB bracket from TNT but I needed it to be lower so the drag link and trackbar were more on the same plain. So I took parts of the other bracket I had and welded it to the TB bracket.

20210221_152432.jpg

This should drop it down far enough to make them pretty close.

20210221_152437.jpg

For added strength I welded a strap along the back side of it.

20210221_152449.jpg

What's up with the gap between bucket and tower? Maybe remake that side piece so it's has no gap?

The towers were made to work with the stock spring buckets so the Artec ones I have are a little different. That's why I am thinking I'll made some gussets to fill in that space.

Is that gap about 1/2" wide at bottom and about 4" tall? I'll slip a few in. I might do a few other sizes too. You never know when you will need them.

Reactions: Wildman
Is that gap about 1/2" wide at bottom and about 4" tall? I'll slip a few in. I might do a few other sizes too. You never know when you will need them.

I was looking at the pictures last night and wondering about if I need to leave that upright piece there since it isn't doing anything.
If I removed it I might be able to get the shock tower closer. Just an idea.