Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

When I look at those posts of the wires this is what I feel like I'm looking at.

200.gif

When I look at those posts of the wires this is what I feel like I'm looking at.

View attachment 279429

Well then what do you see when you look at this?

Wiring diagrm

20210925_193634.jpg

Connector pin-outs so you know what wires are in each plug. And I've gone thru and labeled each circuit so I know what it does.

20210925_193801.jpg

Helps in the end to know what wire is doing what or where it's going. I still need to do the same thing to my Dodge wiring book. This one is the TJ book. I've got a binder for each of them.

Well then what do you see when you look at this?

Wiring diagrm

View attachment 279431

Connector pin-outs so you know what wires are in each plug. And I've gone thru and labeled each circuit so I know what it does.

View attachment 279432

Helps in the end to know what wire is doing what or where it's going. I still need to do the same thing to my Dodge wiring book. This one is the TJ book. I've got a binder for each of them.
200.gif

It took me until about an hour ago to realize 🙃 I was being stupid 🙃 in part of my thinking.
I kept looking at the gray PCM plug as if was plugged into a TJ PCM. Then it finally clicked in my head that it was being plugged into a Dodge PCM.. Doo!

• Haha
Reactions: DrDmoney and JMT
OK I pulled the trigger and cut ✂️ wires.

First cut.... nervous 😓 as heck.

20210926_141059.jpg

Second cut was easier

20210926_141156.jpg

And all this stuff went away.

20210926_141217.jpg

Then it was just marry up the wires from the TJ body/fuel harness to the Dodge harness.

The old harness made by Backwoods Off-Road is no more.

20210926_150908.jpg

Now to take the new harness and clean it up. Then reloom it once I check it out and make sure everything works.

20210926_150914.jpg

I've got a lot of other things to finish but at least I've got this part fairly finished. 😅

Next bit of wiring I've got to tackle is the ORO AiRock harness. Since it's a generic harness it's way to big for a TJ. So my plan is to shorten it to fit my rig. I've got a spare harness if I happen to screw anything up.

And I've got other harnesses to layout and hopefully fit into the loom so the under hood area looks cleaner.

@NashvilleTJ what are you using for your printer to make the new labels for the cover of the power distribution box?
The one I use is a brother P-touch PT-2200 which I've had for years. But any cartridge label maker will work. For the PDC, I just used a black label with white letters, and then picked the closest font and size to what was already on the PDC lid.

Not the best picture, but like so:

Jeep - 5.7 Hemi 7-7-2017 1221.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: WSS and Wildman
The one I use is a brother P-touch PT-2200 which I've had for years. But any cartridge label maker will work. For the PDC, I just used a black label with white letters, and then picked the closest font and size to what was already on the PDC lid.

Not the best picture, but like so:

View attachment 279599

I'll have to look into maybe getting one. I don't have a label maker.

I've got some other things I need to try and work out with wiring too. I know how to turn off my O/D as I had to wire it in before but I bought a switch that can light up when activated. My dash doesn't have a O/D spot in it. And I'd like to wire it into the PDC instead of having a separate relay on the firewall. And putting the fuse & relay for the electric fan in the PDC would be nice too. Just have to lay it all out.

And I've got 3 plugs I'm not positive yet where they go so I've got some more looking at wiring diagrams & pin-outs to do tonight. I've got all the wires taped together for now and will splice them once I layout the harnesses and try to make it a little cleaner.

No work on the Jeep today... Forgot I had a VA appointment. 2 hour drive for a 20 minute visit. I really hate doing this most of the time.

Then can work on it tomorrow and Wednesday. Then have a VA study appointment in Seattle Thursday. Then Friday I need to run my driveshafts over to Yakima.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irun and DrDmoney
Well I'm getting new hearing aids in a few months.

Yep you won't have to yell for me to hear you. Glad the VA is footing the bill.

Got the mystery connectors figured out. Now to move onto the next project.

Reactions: someguysjeep
Reactions: Irun
I

I’ve got a buddy who ran those on the street - didn’t even last 1500 miles… Gnarly though. A few rigs at Hawk were running the 43’s.

View attachment 279963

I'm willing to bet he had the Baja Pro X and and the XS. I found a few threads on some of the JK/JL/JT forums with folks who are running them and had 10K miles on them. The X version is the sticky version and from articles the XS is the street version with the "S" meaning street.

I

I’ve got a buddy who ran those on the street - didn’t even last 1500 miles… Gnarly though. A few rigs at Hawk were running the 43’s.

View attachment 279963
I pulled up to a pristine overbuilt JL the other day that was running a set of these. Three things immediately came to mind. First, if he ever wheels that, the most it will see is a dirt road. Second, those have to be incredibly loud ( confirmed when he took off). Third, those are never going to last on the street. Other than that, it was a very serious looking off-road tire, that screams "I men business!"'

I pulled up to a pristine overbuilt JL the other day that was running a set of these. Three things immediately came to mind. First, if he ever wheels that, the most it will see is a dirt road. Second, those have to be incredibly loud ( confirmed when he took off). Third, those are never going to last on the street. Other than that, it was a very serious looking off-road tire, that screams "I men business!"'

No arguement that they aren't gunna be a 30K + tire but that isn't really what they are made for either. Heck look at some of the other tires I've ran. Loud isn't a issue and I'm getting them for what they are built for and that is Off-Road.