Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

Well crap....
Started off thinking I'd get the front axle hubs and rotors installed.

20211022_105415.jpg

But I have the wrong hub seals...
So now waiting for the correct ones to arrive.

It helps to have the correct tools for this. I know many DON'T think a case spreader is needed but with ARB's and High Pinion axles you want it tight and to have the needed preload.

20211022_133900.jpg

I would never have been able to remove the carrier assembly without spreading the case.

And pulling pinion bearings and carrier bearings is so much easier with the proper puller.

20211022_145340.jpg

I would have blown the bearings apart without the puller.

20211022_145359.jpg

Ring gear has no damage to it.

Collars are off but didn't do me much good since there isn't any numbers on the seals or bearings.

20211022_163415.jpg

Looks like I'll be emailing Teraflex to get the numbers from them.
Hopefully they'll have info on a axle they built back in 2003.

Reactions: Vasq and Alex01
New hub wheel bearing seals will be here Wednesday. Got a email into TeraFlex about the axle seal & bearing numbers plus I need the pinon seal number so I can get all those parts coming.

Also got a email sent to Carl Jantz about the R&P and will see what he has to say. There might be a chance that the Super60 R&P won't work since he'd asked me if I had thick cut gears or not. Hopefully I can get them. If not I might be back to looking at the Jana 76 setup.

Man I love it when I might be WRONG once in a while. The gears that are in my CRD60 right now don't have any markings that make me think it's a thick cut gear set but the previous gear set that was in my axle do make me they were thick gears.

IMGP1203.jpg

You can see the cracked teeth on the ring gear and the damage to ARB case. They had to replace the ring gear side cover due to the damage. But if you look at the part# on the gear I think I might have thick gears. Which is a good thing.

I've got the specs on the case break so tomorrow I'll measure the case and verify if it is a fast or slow case in my CRD60.

Couldn't wait for tomorrow so I came out to the garage and checked the carrier assembly deck height.

20211022_210440.jpg

Broke out the caliper and measured the deck height.

20211022_210150.jpg

Something is finally going RIGHT for once for me.

20211022_210202.jpg

Which means I have a fast carrier and need thick cut gears. Which means that I can use the Super60 R&P no problem.

Now to just rob a bank or win the Lottery so I can buy all these parts I need. 🤔.
It'll come together I'm confident in that.

Couldn't wait for tomorrow so I came out to the garage and checked the carrier assembly deck height.

View attachment 285612

Broke out the caliper and measured the deck height.

View attachment 285610

Something is finally going RIGHT for once for me.

View attachment 285611

Which means I have a fast carrier and need thick cut gears. Which means that I can use the Super60 R&P no problem.

Now to just rob a bank or win the Lottery so I can buy all these parts I need. 🤔.
It'll come together I'm confident in that.
Stick with robbing the bank. Much better odds of actually walking away with money compared to the lottery....

Stick with robbing the bank. Much better odds of actually walking away with money compared to the lottery....

I think I'm to old and slow to really try robbing a bank. My luck my leg would fall off as I tried to run out the door.:ROFLMAO::LOL:

Of course with everything on my TJ it's difficult 🙄.
To get the sliders up against the body I had to first remove this bolt that is part of the Poison Spyder trail cage I have.

20211023_114659.jpg

20211023_114710.jpg

Had to break out the big cresent wrench 🔧 and a pipe wrench to get them off.

20211023_114926.jpg

you gonna run that pig back down through the rocker or at least go the other way the bolt head has less depth.
or maybe downsize the bolt and taper the hole to use a flat head from below and nut inside?

i used 2, 3/8 gr8 bolts instead of 1 big bolt, so i could taper them to be flat to the rocker underneath.

Reactions: Wildman
you gonna run that pig back down through the rocker or at least go the other way the bolt head has less depth.
or maybe downsize the bolt and taper the hole to use a flat head from below and nut inside?

i used 2, 3/8 gr8 bolts instead of 1 big bolt, so i could taper them to be flat to the rocker underneath.

I was going to drill a hole for it through the sliders and get a washer for it.

First off thanks to @Irun & @Alex01 for all their help while trying to get these fit up properly and dealing with all my questions. I got the first holes drilled but then realized I didn't have the 17/32 drill bit like I thought I had. I did get the Metal Cloak corner marked and then cut.

20211023_125936.jpg

Looking at pictures of Irun & Alex's sliders installed I thought mine sat lower than theirs did which was the time I reached out to them for help.

20211023_125943.jpg

But the spacer was flush up to the torque box.

20211023_131406.jpg

It was equal distance all the way across so it was level.

20211023_135440.jpg

After I'd talked to Alex and told him I couldn't find my spotweld cutter and searched the garage trying to remember where I'd put it I FINALLY found it.

20211023_145238.jpg

So I got all the holes drilled.

20211023_153613.jpg

Passenger side is done. Metal Cloak corner is trimmed and fits well. Will have to drill some new holes for the corner since I had to cut 2 out. And figure out a way to secure the lower corner to the body.

20211024_095510.jpg

20211024_095523.jpg

As @Irun posted in his install thread it's not difficult but is time consuming.

Now onto the drivers side.

Before anyone asks there is a small gap where the Metal Cloak corner is cut for their sliders that I'll either have to leave or cut a filler piece and weld on once I get my welder back.

20211024_102446.jpg

The lower front of the corner is loose now because the section I cut out had spots that would have bolted to the body.

20211024_102747.jpg

So I'll have to make a tab to hold it.

20211024_102816.jpg

These corners are their stretch corners which moves the wheelwell opening back 4".

• Wow
Reactions: JMT and FarFire70
Getting the drivers side mocked up for the slider. Set it in place and then check the other side for placement also. About ready to clamp it in place and start drilling holes.

My internet is not working and my cell service is crappy today so I'll have to post pictures later.

Reactions: Alex01
you been beatin on it. go relax .......puff you 1 of them cigars and get you a couple fingers of "goes down smooth" in a glass and chill.......it'll be there when your ready.

• Love
Reactions: HDRider and Wildman