Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

I came across this digital gauge cluster on a different forum. I don't know why but I am a sucker for digital gauges. I really like it and think it looks KOOLLLLLLLLL...……………………..

https://www.intellitronix.com/product-page/jeep-97-06-tj-led-digital-gauge-panel
So I am not sure yet if one will find it's way into my TJ or not. Only time will tell. I've had a digital gauge cluster in a Jeep before but it was an older CJ-5.

Digital%20Dash%201_zps07jabzhr.jpg

Digital%20Dash%202_zpsnrv9amso.jpg

Digital%20Dash%203_zpsg4a1svve.jpg

So they offer it in White, Blue, Green or Red for colors.

Last edited:
So while I can't work on my TJ yet I am working on different ideas for what I want to do with it.
I have some constraints in my build that doesn't fit what many do. First instead of going with coilovers I am going to keep my air bags as it makes it easier for me to get into and out of the Jeep by being able to lower it down to the bump stops. The next one is I want to keep a fuel tank under the body instead of using a fuel cell. So I am going with one of the GenRight fuel tanks that allows up to a 6" stretch. I may not see that much stretch but I'll push the axle back as much as I can. Now because I don't want to go back down in tire size I need to try for a WB of 102-104". I'm currently sitting at 94.5" WB so I need 8 to 10" of total stretch. TNT Custom has a kit to move the front axle forward 2-3" Once I get all the new parts on hand I can really start to measure things and see just what is going to work and what isn't.
Becasue I am replacing the tub on my daughters TJ I will have a spare tub if I find out I need it. If I can't get the rear axle to move back far enough one idea is to cut and stretch the frame/body the needed amount. Of course more than one person has taken a TJ and turned it into a home built LJ by stretching the frame and body. But I am not wanting to go that long or stretch it that much. Of course having a tub that isn't a factory size causes issues with not being able to run a regular soft top but I have just been running a Safari top and duster for a few years now. Having 4" sewn into a duster won't be a major issue.

And then there is the question of what to due with my suspension. Right now I am looking at doing a custom 3 link front and 4 link rear setup but who knows.

I came across this digital gauge cluster on a different forum. I don't know why but I am a sucker for digital gauges. I really like it and think it looks KOOLLLLLLLLL...……………………..

https://www.intellitronix.com/product-page/jeep-97-06-tj-led-digital-gauge-panel
So I am not sure yet if one will find it's way into my TJ or not. Only time will tell. I've had a digital gauge cluster in a Jeep before but it was an older CJ-5.

View attachment 80427

View attachment 80428

View attachment 80429

So they offer it in White, Blue, Green or Red for colors.

You're the first person I've seen yet to run one of these. I'd known about them for a while, I just hadn't heard of anyone installing it. Pretty cool!

Looks like it took a lot of wiring though, huh?

I can't tell you what to do with the suspension, but I think the way to go is either a 3-link front and 4-link rear, or something similar to the Jeep West mid-arm setup that Dave designed.

Chris,
I don't have the digital dash I was just sharing it becasue I didn't even know that there was one available. Like I said I think it's kool but I need more information about it first. I'll be calling Intellitronix at some point.

Yes the suspension is going to be interesting to figure out. The Savvy mid-arm suspension that Blaine designed from what I hear is really nice. I need to make a trip down and visit Dave at Jeep West.

Chris,
I don't have the digital dash I was just sharing it becasue I didn't even know that there was one available. Like I said I think it's kool but I need more information about it first. I'll be calling Intellitronix at some point.

Yes the suspension is going to be interesting to figure out. The Savvy mid-arm suspension that Blaine designed from what I hear is really nice. I need to make a trip down and visit Dave at Jeep West.

Ohhh, I gotcha!

I've heard a lot of bad stuff about it. The first being that as you're aware, airplanes use analog gauges for a reason, because they are inherently more accurate. The other being that the guy who sells them doesn't include instructions with them (someone on this forum was ranting about that a few months ago and how it was impossible to install with no instructions) and that the customer service is very poor.

Again, these are just things I've heard, so I can't comment on it personally.

Mine has the Savvy mid-arm suspension, you absolutely can't go wrong with it.

Dave's setup is pretty cool as well. I almost had him do his mid-arm on mine, but I had a little falling out with him due to the way he runs his business. Still, the guy knows his shit and can build some nice stuff.

Ohhh, I gotcha!

I've heard a lot of bad stuff about it. The first being that as you're aware, airplanes use analog gauges for a reason, because they are inherently more accurate. The other being that the guy who sells them doesn't include instructions with them (someone on this forum was ranting about that a few months ago and how it was impossible to install with no instructions) and that the customer service is very poor.

Again, these are just things I've heard, so I can't comment on it personally.

About 19 years ago I had an Intellitronix dash in my CJ. While it was KOOL for the LOOK part it ended up not being a good match. So I have been down this road before. The stock TJ dash IMHO has always been lacking and I have thought about replacing it with aftermarket gauges. The directions on their web site are not that great but I think you could figure them out. The biggest complaint I say on the thread where the guy was installing the dash was that you have to scotch lock the wires onto your stock wiring. I don't know if there would be a way to get a plug that could plug into the stock dash wiring but if there was I would like that option better.

http://www.12voltunlimited.com/Jeep-TJ-Gauge-Panel_p_11.html
This is a very cool dash but if you put Auto Meter gauges in it you're looking at almost $1K in gauges. There is other gauge companies that are less expensive but I haven't really looked into it yet.

Mine has the Savvy mid-arm suspension, you absolutely can't go wrong with it.

Dave's setup is pretty cool as well. I almost had him do his mid-arm on mine, but I had a little falling out with him due to the way he runs his business. Still, the guy knows his shit and can build some nice stuff.

I have not done business with places becasue of their actions. So I understand that as I have my own idea of who I will deal with.

Yes I have heard nothing but praise for the Savvy mid-arm. It will most likely come down to a choice between them or the GenRight brackets.

About 19 years ago I had an Intellitronix dash in my CJ. While it was KOOL for the LOOK part it ended up not being a good match. So I have been down this road before. The stock TJ dash IMHO has always been lacking and I have thought about replacing it with aftermarket gauges. The directions on their web site are not that great but I think you could figure them out. The biggest complaint I say on the thread where the guy was installing the dash was that you have to scotch lock the wires onto your stock wiring. I don't know if there would be a way to get a plug that could plug into the stock dash wiring but if there was I would like that option better.

I know what you mean about the stock TJ dash lacking. This is actually one of the reasons I heavily considered an LS swap. I figured I could just get rid of the factory PCM entirely and put in a custom Autometer dash or something along those lines.

There is a new TJ owner over on JF that just got the 12VoltGuy dash panel and is using Marshall gauges.
https://www.carid.com/marshall-inst...nts-comp-ii-led-series-gauges-1242271343.html
I'd love to do a dash with these Jeep licensed Auto Meter gauges but DANG NAB it is expensive.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/95205_0104.htm

And of course you can use one of these panels instead but I really like the one from 12 Volt Guy.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/gauge-works/6-gauge-direct-fit-dash-panel-97-06-jeep-wrangler-tj

Yep, that's basically I had in mind. One of those dash panels with some cool looking Autometer gauges (they makes some that look like a very nice factory look.

So at this point I am just waiting for the funds to roll in. I just paid off a few bills in the past 3 months and will start to enjoy those benefits here soon.

On Monday I picked up a used Wrangler Power Products dual battery tray with the dual battery management system.

IMG_3519_zpsldpv2hsf.jpg

IMG_3518_zpsqdcygj4p.jpg

IMG_3517_zpsbpcfk82i.jpg

Now to just figure out which new batteries I am going to get. I've been running Optima's for years but in the past 6 years I have gone thru 3 yellow tops. So it is time to change brands.

It's either going to be Odyssey or XS Power AGM batteries.

I'm also shopping for new shocks since my Walker Evans are 13 years old and need to be rebuilt.

Choices seem to be Fox, Radflo, or King for what I need. Wasn't looking to drop that kind of coin but it is almost the same cost to have my current shocks rebuilt and a reservoir added.

Well nothing new to report on any work I have done to my TJ yet. Still waiting for the weather to warm up just a little more before I start trying to work out in the garage. All my snow has finally melted other than the large piles so I can now get to my garage.

So I have been doing a lot of reading/researching about 3 & 4 link suspensions and trying to gain as much knowledge as I can. Been playing with the calculators from Pirate just to get an idea of how they work. Have come to the conclusion after reading a few install write ups that as much as I would have liked to use the Savvy mid arm kit I don't think I can. The reasons why is because of my wanting to stretch the front and rear of my Jeep. It doesn't make any sense to screw up all the hard work that Savvy and Blaine have done with the mid arm kit by trying to make it work with what I want to do.

Been looking at either GenRight or TMR brackets for my link mounts and not sure what rod ends I am going to use yet. I was talking to ORO about what I need with the AiRock as far as that and found out I have to use some type of bushing on the frame end of the lower links because of the height sensors.

IMG00698.jpg

So on the frame side it's a choice of using something like these from TMR,
https://www.tmrcustoms.com/suspension/poly-bushingsOr this from TMR,
https://www.tmrcustoms.com/suspension/anti-wobbles/complete-anti-wobble-packages
Then on the axle end it will be either Johnny Joints or Ballistic Fabs ballistic joint. I've used both before on other builds. And then I've got to start playing with locations where I can mount the brackets on my frame and figure out lengths for the links. As others have suggested I am not going to try to build a really long arm suspension but some more like a mid arm setup. But I won't know what or how everything will fit until I get working on it and can play around under the Jeep.

I just got in my tools for working on the electrical system so I'm ready to work on the wiring. Once I have parts rolling in I'll post up some more. If anyone wants to talk about suspension design I am open to talking. I am not a expert nor do I have the knowledge that some on here do so I am sure I just might mess up once or twice.

Reactions: Chris
I went out to try and cycle my suspension today to get some measurements from it before I start to take it all apart. So I hook up the AiRock ECU back up, hook the controller back up on the dash (Had sent both back to ORO to get an update) and then go take my last Optima battery off the trickle charger. Turn the key and guess what? Dead battery. This is the third Optima battery that has died on me in the past 6 years. So I think I am done with them.
I can't try to cycle my suspension without power and air. I was going to get air from my shop compressor but until I get another battery I'm dead in the water. I'm either going with an Odyssey or XS Power battery at this point.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00249CSS2/?tag=wranglerorg-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0089XO498/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Last week I also got a really great package for a forum member over on JF. He had built some really nice looking shock towers with a plasma table and had asked him if he could cut me a set also. Awesome looking and a great guy.

IMG_3549_zpsgkpezqhc.jpg

These pictures are his TJ not mine.

Shock%20Tower_zpsdkpfh78k.jpg

Shock%20Tower%202_zpsjfuy20ky.jpg

Shock%20Tower%203_zpsh0jfskak.jpg

Shock%20Tower%204_zpss2goisjr.jpg

These will work very nicely on my Jeep and give me room for a longer shock also.

View attachment 80247

This is what it looked like right before it was parked 8 years ago. The 5.2 Dodge magnum V-8 I had swapped into it was having overheating issues. So I had planned to either rebuilt the current engine or find another to rebuild. Well I came across a 5.9 from a Durango for cheap and bought it. I was almost done doing a cheap rebuild when I came across a fellow Ram owner who wanted to trade a stroked 5.9 for a stock 5.9. So after a little haggling we came to a deal. We traded short blocks. His engine had about 10K miles on it so I decided to tare the engine down and clean it up and reseal it. Of course things always happen you do things like that. I dropped the number 2 piston and broke a skirt off it.

About this time I was going thru a divorce so funds dried up for any Jeep repairs. Once I got back on my feet, so to speak I was having health issues that was limiting my ability to work out in my garage. So this past spring I took measures to make myself better. I had been wounded in Iraq back in 2004 when I was shot in the right thigh. The avatar is my femur. In May 2018 I had my lower right leg amputated to try and get rid of the sever pain I was in. Most doctors wouldn't do this surgery because there isn't any guaranty it will help.

View attachment 80246

My current socket that I designed the wrap for.

View attachment 80244

So plans for this facelift is to remove the Nth Degree longarm suspension, stretch the rear 5-10" and the front 2". To do the amount of stretch in the rear I am wanting to do I am thinking about lengthening my tub by about 5-6". I currently have a GenRight 24 gal fuel tank so that has to go and I'll be getting one of their stretch tanks. I'm going to 3 link the front and 4 link the rear while doing all this.
Then I'm going to install aluminum front highline fenders and rear corners. All my old parts will be handed down to my daughters 2002 TJ Sport. So no parts will be wasted or neglected.

View attachment 80245

Don't expect anything right away as I have to wait for the weather to warm up and the snow to melt. But as it gets warmer and funds permit I will be ordering parts.
Looks like you will be busy for awhile

Reactions: Wildman
Looks like you will be busy for awhile
Yes I think you are correct. But being retired I have a lot of time on my hands. Sorry for the SIR!! Thanks for your service sir.

Last edited:
@Wildman , I've had that same Odyssey battery that you linked above for about 2-1/2 years and have no complaints with it.

Well I had a minor set back today. For some reason I have develop a sore on my stump and went to see my prothesis today and was told I have to stay off my leg until it heals. So I am down until it does.