Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

Sucks, especially when you prepped everything, but with all time you’ve put into jeep don’t risk it by getting impatient now.

I'm a impatient person so this is hard. But yes I don't want to screw it up now. I'm on that home stretch of getting it done. Just sucks that the weather isn't cooperating.

does it care how warm the metal is? or how warm it is might effect how it shoots if anything. the warm is so some chems can flash away or temps can support evaporation of others and more for drying and curing i'd think. if that can't happen you got a gooey dust collector until it can happen.

total guess here......

does it care how warm the metal is? or how warm it is might effect how it shoots if anything. the warm is so some chems can flash away or temps can support evaporation of others and more for drying and curing i'd think. if that can't happen you got a gooey dust collector until it can happen.

total guess here......

I'm not sure what happens. The paint guys would have to answer that. But enough people have commented about having issues when painting when it was too cold. So I'll heed the advice and wait.

I do think it has something to do with it not curing correctly if it isn't warm enough.

Reactions: someguysjeep

total guess here......

Yes, I sprayed a truck once. One area of the truck was the wrong temp, I believe too hot and it flaked the paint as it didn't evaporate correctly. Ended up repainting the whole truck with help of a friend at a body shop. But it's been a long time since I did all that and don't remember much, could have been the fumes too.

There are a couple ways to skin the cat. You're correct in that it has to do with how fast the solvents evaporate...Too fast and the paint becomes brittle. Too Slow, and well...you catch a bunch of dust.

Its ideal when you have the surface temp the same as the paint temp which is the same as the air temp. You can warm the surface (think halogen lights) and the paint, and have good results if the air is cool (like 55-60) but its kinda sketchy...and at that point, you may as well run the heaters for that last few degrees.

If you're really impatient and its in the 50's-60's Kick those heaters on for the little bit of heat you need and just deal with the electricity bill. You really don't want the doors open while the paint is drying anyway...dust and shit will be carried in. That's what I would do...mother nature is a fickle bitch when it comes to perfect weather for painting.

Dude, have you gone radio silent? :unsure:

Nope, had doctor appointments on Thursday and had also weed wacked my yard on Wednesday and threw my back out AGAIN... Need to find a young kid to do this for me. So I've been taking it easy for the past two days. Was gunna try to work on the Jeep today but it's nasty out with rain and wind blowing.
Plus I've got some other important things I need to do today. Tomorrow I've got to go to the wetside and take care of some business so I won't get to the Jeep until Tuesday at the soonest. Weather is supposed to be better Tuesday thru Friday so I might actually get the painting done.

We have primer sprayed on half the frame and on all the armor and fenders and related parts. I'll spray a second coat tomorrow on all the parts.

20220608_175638.jpg

20220608_175651.jpg

Frame on the front and drivers side is done.

20220608_175643.jpg

20220608_175655.jpg

Since this was only the second time I've ever used a paint spray gun I'm still learning.
@Alex01 had told me to make sure I had lots of lights on and of course I forgot. I've got to get my lights setup tomorrow before I paint again. I do really like how easy it is to use a paint gun as opposed to a rattle can. This paint IMO just goes down easier and it dries a lot faster. Of course I'm not laying down any color yet so my mistakes don't show yet.

Reactions: reddvltj
Good to see the paint being sprayed. I’m surprised additional coats take so long though.

The additional coats could have been done today but by the time I had gotten the one coat done I was ready to stop. My leg was killing me and I need to move some stuff around before I spray the second coat. Plus I need to get my lights setup to help see better. I found some spots I'd missed on the first coat that I'll need to touch up. But it's nice to finally be spraying some paint. Tomorrow is supposed to be a warm day again.

Weatherman said it was supposed to be in the mid to high 70's today...
Wake up to cold and rain instead. So I've got the heaters turned up to see if I can get the temperature up above 70⁰ but it's only 63⁰ so far. I'll give it another few hours to see what it does.
Won't be able to paint tomorrow since I've got an appointment in Wenatchee. Saturday isn't supposed to be much above 70⁰ either.

Read your data sheets for the primer. Some of those recoat windows can be tricky...like recoat within an hour or you need to wait 72 hours and scuff the paint again. Has to do with how the solvents flash off and the paint cures. I'd hate for you to have a coating failure, this close to the finish line.

Read your data sheets for the primer. Some of those recoat windows can be tricky...like recoat within an hour or you need to wait 72 hours and scuff the paint again. Has to do with how the solvents flash off and the paint cures. I'd hate for you to have a coating failure, this close to the finish line.

Thanks Mike, yes I checked it to make sure I could spray the second coat. It is with 18 hours before you need to sand.

So I got the lights setup and moved things around some. Then went back and covered all the spots I'd missed before.

20220609_153810.jpg

20220609_153821.jpg

20220609_153827.jpg

Got almost done when my spray gun started acting up. So I'm cleaning it again before I finish spraying the corner armor.

Since this was only the second time I've ever used a paint spray gun I'm still learning.
@Alex01 had told me to make sure I had lots of lights on and of course I forgot. I've got to get my lights setup tomorrow before I paint again. I do really like how easy it is to use a paint gun as opposed to a rattle can. This paint IMO just goes down easier and it dries a lot faster. Of course I'm not laying down any color yet so my mistakes don't show yet.
Lots of light, slow and steady, with 50% overlap, wherever possible. FWIW, primer is just as important, if not more, than paint. It's the foundation and allows you to see areas that may need additional work, before applying color. You're getting very close to done!

Lots of light, slow and steady, with 50% overlap, wherever possible. FWIW, primer is just as important, if not more, than paint. It's the foundation and allows you to see areas that may need additional work, before applying color. You're getting very close to done!

I'm going to have to sand some stuff down. When the gun started spraying crappy I didn't catch it right away. But yes I'm getting closer to the final stretch.

The frame on the drivers side is done.

20220609_171129.jpg

20220609_171140.jpg

Tomorrow when I get back from my appointment I'll do the passenger side.

And then all the parts. I have a lot of stuff hanging.

20220609_171153.jpg

20220609_171212.jpg

20220609_171233.jpg

I'd bought some more saw horses to get stuff off the ground.

20220609_171244.jpg