Great deals on TJ parts on Amazon!

Looking for parts for your Jeep Wrangler TJ? Checkout the selection of TJ parts Amazon has to offer, many with 2-day Prime shipping!

Click the image below to browse TJ parts on Amazon.

Jeep Wrangler TJ Parts on Amazon

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

B00mb00m

The Church of Cutting Brakes of Atlas-Front Digs
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
YAHOO, the clear is laid down... OK well on one side. I've got a few runs to deal with tomorrow morning but I'm fairly happy with how things have tunred out.

I got both fenders done and the backing for the Savvy skids done.

View attachment 360038

View attachment 360039

View attachment 360040

View attachment 360041

View attachment 360042

And my problem fender looks good too.

View attachment 360043

View attachment 360044

I'll let them dry tonight then flip them over and finish this. Then I can move on. I'm going to take a break from painting for a little bit and get the engine and drivetrain installed. Then I can fab up the fuel lines and layout the wiring harness. I'm hoping I can fire off the engine before I install the axles but get things ready for that. So I might actually see some real progress here in the next few weeks.

That’s gonna looks awesome Rick, I love when armor is all paint matched, unless it’s yellow then you should paint the armor anything but color match. So clean. 👹

OP
Wildman

Wildman

Over Analyzer Extraordinaire...............
Staff Member
Supporting Member
That’s gonna looks awesome Rick, I love when armor is all paint matched, unless it’s yellow then you should paint the armor anything but color match. So clean. 👹

Thanks. I was OK with the Black and White paint scheme I had before but this time I really wanted it all to match. It's taken me longer to get this painting done but I'm almost through. I do plan on attempting to paint my fiberglass hood or at least try to.

Here are the runs I got. The inner fenders would cover them so I am not sure I'll worry about them.

20220916_195736.jpg

Mike_H

Off-Camber is scary
Supporting Member
Thanks. I was OK with the Black and White paint scheme I had before but this time I really wanted it all to match. It's taken me longer to get this painting done but I'm almost through. I do plan on attempting to paint my fiberglass hood or at least try to.

Here are the runs I got. The inner fenders would cover them so I am not sure I'll worry about them.

View attachment 360084

Wait a week or so and scrape em down with a brand new, SHARP razor blade (like a box cutter or scraper blade) That way your panel fit won't be affected and you won't have to sand and repaint. Keep it perpendicular to the panel and drag it over the run. The razor will scrape off the high spots. It will leave a dull finish, but since you're covering it anyway, it won't matter.

OP
Wildman

Wildman

Staff Member
Supporting Member
Wait a week or so and scrape em down with a brand new, SHARP razor blade (like a box cutter or scraper blade) That way your panel fit won't be affected and you won't have to sand and repaint. Keep it perpendicular to the panel and drag it over the run. The razor will scrape off the high spots. It will leave a dull finish, but since you're covering it anyway, it won't matter.

I remember you mentioning this before. I'll give it a shot.

Since I'm almost done (for now) with this painting and stuff I know it's been mentioned that I want to sand down the clear coat after about a week? With 1500 or 2000 grit sandpaper? What is the reason/purpose for doing this? Do I do this by hand or can you use a orbital sander?

Mike_H

Off-Camber is scary
Supporting Member
I remember you mentioning this before. I'll give it a shot.

Since I'm almost done (for now) with this painting and stuff I know it's been mentioned that I want to sand down the clear coat after about a week? With 1500 or 2000 grit sandpaper? What is the reason/purpose for doing this? Do I do this by hand or can you use a orbital sander?

Only if you care about the orange peel. Sanding smooths out the little bumps and makes it shinier, after you sand, then use cutting compound, then polish, and finally wax.

OP
Wildman

Wildman

Staff Member
Supporting Member
Did the backside of the fenders and sliders. Now I'll let everything dry until tomorrow and then I can clean up the garage again and get things moved around so I can work in it again. If the weather holds I'll work on the fiberglass hood outside while I prep it. Still not sure about using it or the stock one. Since I've never played with fiberglass before I'm just not sure how it'll turn out.

20220918_133452.jpg

20220918_133459.jpg

20220918_133508.jpg

OP
Wildman

Wildman

Staff Member
Supporting Member
Well done Picasso!

I'm not sure I'd go that far.

I always use to consider myself a Rembrandt of the rattle can. Now I've just learned a new way to apply the paint. I will admit I enjoyed it even with my troubles I've had. But I'm glad it's done for now.

OP
Wildman

Wildman

Staff Member
Supporting Member
New skill and tools added to the garage…. Win Win. Can’t wait to see everything bolted up!

Thanks. It was an interesting experience for sure. I had to take the day off today as I hadn't slept last night due to my leg hurting. But should be back at it again tomorrow. It's going to be fun to finally start putting it all back together.

OP
Wildman

Wildman

Staff Member
Supporting Member
Perfection is the enemy of good.

I'll be pleasantly happy and satisfied with a 20' paint job at this point. It's been suggested that I should repaint the whole body in the TJ since I am putting these newly painted parts on a 25-year-old paint.

Reactions: DrDmoney

rasband

Shit's about to go down in AZ
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
It's been suggested that I should repaint the whole body in the TJ since I am putting these newly painted parts on a 25-year-old paint.

Nah, just go wheel. If you're into what I think you're into, it won't matter long. You should see my paint job on the half doors I got vs the body color! LFG!

OP
Wildman

Wildman

Staff Member
Supporting Member
Nah, just go wheel. If you're into what I think you're into, it won't matter long. You should see my paint job on the half doors I got vs the body color! LFG!

Yep, this "nice" paint won't stay that way for very long once I hit the trails again. You should have seen my old armor. It's held up pretty good but it was also powder coated. I just want it running a driving again.

OP
Wildman

Wildman

Staff Member
Supporting Member
Man man- ya never know what you will find when ya clean up.

How is your foot and health soldier?

The leg is healed up thankfully.
My new sockets are being made and I should be picking them up next Thursday.

Now I've got to get things reorganized so I've got room to get the engine installed. I'm going to leave the axle adapter from 911 Motorsports installed on my other transmission jack. It'll make things easier.

20220923_131922.jpg