Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

OK folks here YA go.....

Sounds pretty DANG NAB good.

Fires up pretty good now. I've still got to install the check valve and see if it helps or not. Just not sure which location I should be installing it at. Will play with that some over the next few days.

It's got a nice burble from the drivers side.

Just a short video of the dash while running. And yes I've still got the Check Engine light due to the transmission throwing a code. I need to run it thru the gears & then check my fluid levels to see if the transmission is possibly low.

Prior to getting it running after I'd fixed the fuel leaks on the fuel rails I had another one that was my return line. I'd pulled it to drill the hole for the height sensor and had forgotten to hook it back up. So I flooded the area around the tank sitting on my motorcycle lift. Not a BIG deal & was a 2 minute fix.

Started figuring out the HPTuners software and got the PCM downloaded so I can send it to Ryan @ FRP. This is a totally different deal than what I'm used to.
I now send this file to Ryan & he will write me a tune for my engine. Then I go thru a process of downloading the file he sends back to me & that gets installed onto the PCM in the Jeep.

View attachment 400913

Dash while it's running.

View attachment 400914

I still don't have the fan or temperature sensor. Now that the I've got the engine running correctly I can start getting all thing tidied up.

I put one of the FRP stickers on my refrigerator and will put one more of the stickers on once I find a spot for it.

View attachment 400915

View attachment 400916

Hopefully the engine saga is over at this point.

Thanks to everyone who's offered help and advice. I know that there is a lot here to read so those of you who follow my thread I really do appreciate it.

@CMBD I honestly wasn't trying to blow you off when you were offering help with the intake issue I was just frustrated at the time.
“Kiss my “Thoroughbred Race Horse?” That’s some pretty harsh language, Bro…

🙂

Congrats Richardo. Great to see it run.

At least it wouldn’t have been a burned up LS!

Shit if I had a Lame Shit engine in there I might have been tempted to torch it myself.....

It's either a Magnum or Hemi for this garage.

“Kiss my “Thoroughbred Race Horse?” That’s some pretty harsh language, Bro…

They didn't have a Mule or Donkey but I'm sure 99% of the folks here get it.

🙂

Congrats Richardo. Great to see it run.

Thanks Jeff. Now to get busy with assembly so I can make a trip to TN & we can go Jeepin & go for a ride with the Adventure bikes.

Shit if I had a Lame Shit engine in there I might have been tempted to torch it myself.....

It's either a Magnum or Hemi for this garage.

They didn't have a Mule or Donkey but I'm sure 99% of the folks here get it.

Thanks Jeff. Now to get busy with assembly so I can make a trip to TN & we can go Jeepin & go for a ride with the Adventure bikes.

I gotta play the LS card when you reveal your hand.

OK folks here YA go.....

Sounds pretty DANG NAB good.

Fires up pretty good now. I've still got to install the check valve and see if it helps or not. Just not sure which location I should be installing it at. Will play with that some over the next few days.

It's got a nice burble from the drivers side.

Just a short video of the dash while running. And yes I've still got the Check Engine light due to the transmission throwing a code. I need to run it thru the gears & then check my fluid levels to see if the transmission is possibly low.

Prior to getting it running after I'd fixed the fuel leaks on the fuel rails I had another one that was my return line. I'd pulled it to drill the hole for the height sensor and had forgotten to hook it back up. So I flooded the area around the tank sitting on my motorcycle lift. Not a BIG deal & was a 2 minute fix.

Started figuring out the HPTuners software and got the PCM downloaded so I can send it to Ryan @ FRP. This is a totally different deal than what I'm used to.
I now send this file to Ryan & he will write me a tune for my engine. Then I go thru a process of downloading the file he sends back to me & that gets installed onto the PCM in the Jeep.

View attachment 400913

Dash while it's running.

View attachment 400914

I still don't have the fan or temperature sensor. Now that the I've got the engine running correctly I can start getting all thing tidied up.

I put one of the FRP stickers on my refrigerator and will put one more of the stickers on once I find a spot for it.

View attachment 400915

View attachment 400916

Hopefully the engine saga is over at this point.

Thanks to everyone who's offered help and advice. I know that there is a lot here to read so those of you who follow my thread I really do appreciate it.

@CMBD I honestly wasn't trying to blow you off when you were offering help with the intake issue I was just frustrated at the time.

waaHOOOO!

Reactions: Wildman
I honestly wasn't trying to blow you off when you were offering help with the intake issue I was just frustrated at the time.

No worries my friend I get it. I have been right there with my own stuff. And with other peoples stuff that needed to get on a trailer or on the track right now right now.

Reactions: Wildman
Dig how your tri power setup is progressive. That's way cool.

Need to scare neighborhood kids with startups.

It brings joy :D

I'm hoping that since it runs off the center TB at part throttle that I shouldn't use as much fuel. Of course it means I've got to keep my foot out of hter floor too. I'm sure for the first few months I'll be grinning ear to ear as I floor it.

waaHOOOO!

Thanks man

No worries my friend I get it. I have been right there with my own stuff. And with other peoples stuff that needed to get on a trailer or on the track right now right now.

Yep I've done the "We need it yesterday shit before." Here's hoping I don't have any more intake leaks. If I do I've still got the extra thick gaskets from Cometic. Just really hoping it's not needed.

Reactions: JMT and reddvltj
Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the PAS. I've been eyeing them too especially for the ride height suspension. But I need to use my Super Tenere a little bit more actually a lot more (2014 with 4k miles :(), some health issues slowed things down. And then I bought a JEEP. Enough said :LOL:

Enjoying the thread build, kudos for all the hard work.

Listening to the engine run now I really feel that my lifters are too lose & need to be tightened down 1/4 to 1/2 turn more. It's harder to hear in the video but standing there next to the Jeep you can hear them.

Transmission is low on fluid so I added the quart of Lucus transmission conditioner that was recommended and will check fluid level in the morning before I pull the valve covers to adjust the rockers.

Listening to the engine run now I really feel that my lifters are too lose & need to be tightened down 1/4 to 1/2 turn more. It's harder to hear in the video but standing there next to the Jeep you can hear them.

Transmission is low on fluid so I added the quart of Lucus transmission conditioner that was recommended and will check fluid level in the morning before I pull the valve covers to adjust the rockers.
Are you sure that's lifter noise and not the injectors?

Don’t adjust the lifters by sound, Rick, do it by lash. Put a 1/2 turn into a lifter that is already properly adjusted and you could be leaving the valve open.

Don’t adjust the lifters by sound, Rick, do it by lash. Put a 1/2 turn into a lifter that is already properly adjusted and you could be leaving the valve open.

I'll have to go thru the whole sequence of adjusting each individual rocker or do it with the engine running. I'd thought about doing it that way and using my old valve covers. Cut the tops out of the old valve covers and that helps limit the amount of oil splashed all over the place.

Edit: When I'd commented that I thought they could use a 1/4 to 1/2 turn more I wasn't suggesting that I just got and do that to all my rockers without verifying the lash/preload already.

Last edited:
Reactions: reddvltj
I had those same tire on my Toyota with some re-centered H1s from Trailworthy Fab. The tires worked great!

Which tire? When I went to recentered H1's was when I went from 35x13.5x15 Toyo M/T's on single beadlocks to 38x12.5x16.5 TSL SX but I had 8 bolt H1's that I'd recentered myself.

1677090845456.png

But then this happened

IMG_3245.JPG

IMG_3247.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: Irun and reddvltj

Nice looking Yota.... Nice rockbed too.

I fell in LOVE with the TSL SX tire when I saw my first oines on a guys Jeep in W VA on a 4 day wheeling trip. It's when I got my nickname "wildman". I had a 1986.5 Nissan Hardbody pu back them riunning Q78 GroundHawgs.

They even work OK aired down in the snow.

1677093261954.png

1677093317052.png

Going to try an OLD SCHOOL trick on adjusting the rocker arms on my engine from my days of playing with old Chevy engines like the 283 I had in my pickup. You cut the tops off of a old set of valve covers and this helps keep all the oil from running down onto the tops of your headers. Luckily for me I still had the old valve covers from my engine.

20230222_174624.jpg

Had to also remove the baffles inside the valve covers.

20230222_174629.jpg

I happened to come across a Snap On Solus scanner for a killer price. Did I NEED it? Nope but it does the same thing as the older MT2500 scanners but is a little more compact and a little better screen.

20230222_182547.jpg

20230222_182555.jpg

So I've got a MT2500 scanner that I'll be selling for any of you that's done the Magnum swaps. It's handy for setting the fuel sync plus a ton of other diagnostic features. If interested PM me and we'll talk about it.

I've got a vet appointment tomorrow morning for my dog and then should be able to get the valve covers swapped out and work on adjusting the rockers.