Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

OK all I've got me a question I'm hoping some of you can help out with. I'm just about ready to install the armor on my tub but before I do I'd like to clean the tub up a little and try to refresh the paint? I'm not really sure what the correct term would be but instead of just slapping the armor on over the tub the way it is I thought I should try to buff it out some. Just not sure how or what to do.

I've got these buffing pads from HF in medium, fine & coarse but not sure what type of rubbing compound or other type of stuff I should use.

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-medium-foam-polishing-pad-green-56547.html

View attachment 404170

Calling @AndyG

Reactions: reddvltj
OK all I've got me a question I'm hoping some of you can help out with. I'm just about ready to install the armor on my tub but before I do I'd like to clean the tub up a little and try to refresh the paint? I'm not really sure what the correct term would be but instead of just slapping the armor on over the tub the way it is I thought I should try to buff it out some. Just not sure how or what to do.

I've got these buffing pads from HF in medium, fine & coarse but not sure what type of rubbing compound or other type of stuff I should use.

View attachment 404170

Simplest answer-

Use the medium and fine pad and low speed with some Meguiars ultimate compound and a quality ceramic wax after that would be the minimum I’d do- You could consider a removable coating or paint protection film- But I do worry about the films removing some paint if they stay on for extended periods of time.

Ultimately it is the contamination that goes between the two that causes paint degradation-

Removing and cleaning periodically is a good plan.

To prevent rust I used Raptor liner everywhere anything permanent mounts to my tub.

PM me if needed-

View attachment 404170

I'll leave it to folks more familiar with polish and I am to recommend guidance. I'm in a similar boat to you as I'll be using a polisher for the first time this spring and learning.

The vehicle detailing I have done more recently (for the first time) tells me to make sure you clay bar before you polish. It seems more intimidating to clay bar until you're in the process and then the instructions become clear as you do it and increase your confidence and speed.

Having removed my sliders and fender flares recently, I suspect you'll find similarly that all sort of grit has gotten in behind your armor and embedded in the paint much as my paint had are I removed the armor/flares I did. Clay bar will remove that grit before your polish.

I I’m not sure why you would try to refresh the paint, then cover it with armor. The armor is going to let dirt and debris in behind it and muck up the paint to the point where you would need to buff it after the armor comes off anyway.

If you do want to buff it out, depending in the current scratches, you want a compounding pad with a cutting compound and a Polish pad with a polishing compound. I’ve used boat candy products pretty extensively and they blow the consumer grade meguires stuff out of the water. I haven’t spent much time with commercial stuff from 3m or meguires, so I can’t speak to those.

I I’m not sure why you would try to refresh the paint, then cover it with armor. The armor is going to let dirt and debris in behind it and muck up the paint to the point where you would need to buff it after the armor comes off anyway.

If you do want to buff it out, depending in the current scratches, you want a compounding pad with a cutting compound and a Polish pad with a polishing compound. I’ve used boat candy products pretty extensively and they blow the consumer grade meguires stuff out of the water. I haven’t spent much time with commercial stuff from 3m or meguires, so I can’t speak to those.

My thinking was that I should try to clean up the paint a little before putting this new armor on as to try and cut down on any further damage or future issues. I might be misguided in this belief but it's why I'm asking. I also have a bunch of bare spots where I'd welded the old armor holes closed that I need to at least paint with a spot of primer. And I might be wrong again but I thought I'd read some place or at one time that it was a good idea to apply wax to the paint prior to putting the armor on as it could help. Don't know if there is any validity to this suggestion or not.

Other than corrosion prevention on the bare spots is it worth the effort? Do you see the future of this Jeep returning to a non armor state? Even so I would think the dirt and sand that will get between the two would offset any effort made by trying to polish now.

My thinking was that I should try to clean up the paint a little before putting this new armor on as to try and cut down on any further damage or future issues. I might be misguided in this belief but it's why I'm asking. I also have a bunch of bare spots where I'd welded the old armor holes closed that I need to at least paint with a spot of primer. And I might be wrong again but I thought I'd read some place or at one time that it was a good idea to apply wax to the paint prior to putting the armor on as it could help. Don't know if there is any validity to this suggestion or not.

When i refurb my armor i plan to use seam sealer around the edges imbetween to keep it from letting water in and rusting. Idk if its a good idea but I'll give it a go.

Other than corrosion prevention on the bare spots is it worth the effort? Do you see the future of this Jeep returning to a non armor state? Even so I would think the dirt and sand that will get between the two would offset any effort made by trying to polish now.

No it won't ever be without armor. I was just thinking I should try to help protect what was left of the stock paint. But it's also why I ask before doing stuff I'm not sure of.

When i refurb my armor i plan to use seam sealer around the edges imbetween to keep it from letting water in and rusting. Idk if its a good idea but I'll give it a go.

I had a buddy that actually welded his armor to his tub but it was more due to the amount of damage to his tub than to keep stuff from getting in between.

I was shocked at the minimal amount of crud that I'd gotten between my old armor & tub when I removed it.

Reactions: Rickyd
When are you going to install the airbags?

We are waiting on the show.

1677730889436.gif

OK let me reword my question and please I'm open to all suggestions.

Here is what my tub looks like right now. So other than painting the bare metal spots what if anything should I do to the tub to prep it prior to installing the armor? Should I at least try to remove the old dirt & grit that is in the paint now or just wash it down with mild soap & water and then slap the armor on?

I haven't done anything to the tub since pulling the old armor off. This is what my tub looked like when I pulled it.

20230301_212524.jpg

Not living in the fust belt is a nice thing.

20230301_212534.jpg

20230301_212547.jpg

Reactions: reddvltj
I would paint any bare steel. I’d probably also do some kind of polish or wax before installing the armor, but it probably wouldn’t help anything. Whatever is covered will be pretty well protected. I don’t think I’d weld up the old holes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildman

Here is what my tub looks like right now. So other than painting the bare metal spots what if anything should I do to the tub to prep it prior to installing the armor? Should I at least try to remove the old dirt & grit that is in the paint now or just wash it down with mild soap & water and then slap the armor on?

I haven't done anything to the tub since pulling the old armor off. This is what my tub looked like when I pulled it.

View attachment 404201

View attachment 404202

View attachment 404203

Weld up the old holes, paint bare metal and get everything clean. You could wax it, if it makes you feel better, but beyond that, any type of paint correction is going to be a wasted effort.

View attachment 404201

View attachment 404202

View attachment 404203

I'd get it mobile and worry about the body work and armor once you know everything is functional.

Weld up the old holes, paint bare metal and get everything clean. You could wax it, if it makes you feel better, but beyond that, any type of paint correction is going to be a wasted effort.

The old holes are already welded up that is what all the bare metal spots are from. So just paint the spots and wash it. Got it.

I'd get it mobile and worry about the body work and armor once you know everything is functional.

I don't know that I fully agree with or understand this.

Reactions: Alex01

I guess I'm asking why don't you get your jeep together so you can move it? Then you can worry about prettying it up with the armor. You don't need armor to drive the jeep and make sure everything works.

Last edited:
Reactions: lBasket and Mike_H
The old holes are already welded up that is what all the bare metal spots are from. So just paint the spots and wash it. Got it.

he’s saying don’t spend time installing things that might have to come back off, to fix any issues you might have functionally, until you have proven to yourself that the functionality is good.

I guess I'm asking why don't you get your jeep together so you can move it? Then you can worry about prettying it up with the armor. You don't need armor to drive the jeep and make sure everything works.

Its a perpetual project. He doesn't want it driving!

My 70 k20 spent a decade at that status