Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

View attachment 410353

@TJosh02 - I believe the issue with the larger tanks is this: See the 45 degree angles on the front corners of this tank? The angle creates a space for the exhaust to pass between the tank and the coils / shocks. The larger capacity tanks loose that angled corner and are square there - that is part of the reason for the extra capacity - and you therefore can't get the exhaust past the tank with a stock-like layout. Outbourding may help that, but I'm not sure.

Does that sound correct, Rick?

That could be part of it.

Reactions: reddvltj
I currently am rocking a downturn pipe right after the muffler and before rear Savvy Mid-arm suspension... but I get the deal.

Reactions: Wildman
My old 24.5 gallon tank

1680047198066.png

My new 23 gallon tank. I can still only see the shocks being an issue & not the springs but I'm no expert either.

20211217_112810.jpg

20211217_113247.jpg

20211217_113258.jpg

From GR's website
  • Your Jeep must be outfitted with outboard shocks and/or coil overs to install this model tank (RSM-1001), it will not work with standard coil springs in the rear. If you are running coil springs, please use GenRight gas tank: GST-2002

So I don't know why they state this.

Got the new diff cover from Ruff Stuff today and tried to install it. But it was a fail also.

20230328_145648.jpg

At this point it's either try a different manufacturers diff cover or use a stock cover. But I still have to give a HUGE shout out to RuffStuff for stepping up even after 13 months of the sale.

Motobilt looks like their shape is a little different than RuffStuff

age_7090e658-e109-46da-bb83-d674ce9d6ac1_1200x1200.jpg

MB4010_1200x1200.png

https://motobilt.com/products/dana-60-diff-cover?variant=32072358461524

Ballistic Fab has a nice cover but it's big money.

ont_3f10848f-3e5d-4ebd-bdd1-1f2862354abe_1024x1024.jpg

https://www.ballisticfabrication.co...rs/products/dana-60-differential-cover-welded
They also offer a fancy diff cover
ballistic_product_diff-1_1024x1024.jpg

https://www.ballisticfabrication.co...ana-60-differential-cover-magnetic-drain-plug
Barnes 4WD (Sold Out )
1680049005805.png

https://barnes4wd.com/products/dana-50-60-70-3-8-heavy-duty-differential-cover

Or a ARB or other cast diff cover. Any others that I'm missing?

DIdn't you say it was the air line that kept the first one from fitting?

Is it the same for all of them?

Yes it's the air line coming out of the right hand bearing cap. The stock cover fits fine because it's raised in that area. Which was why I said I'm not sure which would fit.

20230322_162110.jpg

The Ballistic Fab one with the drain looks like it would fit best but it's $364.

Of course there is one from Tera Flex also.

98213.jpg

Spicer makes one that would work also.

Dana_Spicer_10024090_1.jpg

Yes it's the air line coming out of the right hand bearing cap. The stock cover fits fine because it's raised in that area. Which was why I said I'm not sure which would fit.

View attachment 411247

The Ballistic Fab one with the drain looks like it would fit best but it's $364.

Of course there is one from Tera Flex also.

View attachment 411248

Spicer makes one that would work also.

View attachment 411249

I like that spicer, or why not stock with a hard hat?

Reactions: PNW_LJ and reddvltj
My old 24.5 gallon tank

View attachment 411226

My new 23 gallon tank. I can still only see the shocks being an issue & not the springs but I'm no expert either.

View attachment 411227

View attachment 411228

View attachment 411229

From GR's website

So I don't know why they state this.

Looking at that tank, it certainly seems like the front upper corners would occupy the space required for the stock location shocks, doesn’t it? Perhaps it also invades the space for the springs?

Edit: But thinking about it, if it was that far forward it would hit the stock track bar - so that doesn’t make sense either. You are right, Rick, I don’t know what the issue would be with coil springs.

Last edited:
I like that spicer, or why not stock with a hard hat?

The way the rear diff is designed it's curved up to protect the cover some and being a rear it's not getting bashed into stuff as much so I don't need it for protection. I was trying to find a cover that might help stiffen up the housing more than the stock cover. I don't know that it will help or not but figured what could it hurt.

So I guess I'll try the Spicer cover.

Looking at that tank, it certainly seems like the front upper corners would occupy the space required for the stock location shocks, doesn’t it? Perhaps it also invades the space for the springs?

Edit: But thinking about it, if it was that far forward it would hit the stock track bar - so that doesn’t make sense either. You are right, Rick, I don’t know what the issue would be with coil springs.

I think you're thinking right. If you look it's not in the way where I have my springs.

That is what I couldn't figure out. I completely get the shocks being in the way, but the springs? Anyway, I am not ready yet to order a tank, but I am always planning a few steps ahead in my build. I am tinkering with the idea of stretching my WB in the medium term and was eyeing that tank.

That is what I couldn't figure out. I completely get the shocks being in the way, but the springs? Anyway, I am not ready yet to order a tank, but I am always planning a few steps ahead in my build. I am tinkering with the idea of stretching my WB in the medium term and was eyeing that tank.

I know when I bought that tank I was sweating bullets wondering if it'd fit or not. Not knowing for sure and there wasn't anyone else that had one yet. So glad this helped you out.

@kiwi stopped by today and picked up the York compressor & I also gave him my old Tuffy underseat drawer for his TJ. It was great meeting you.

I was working on the rear axle when he arrived and then worked on it some more after he left. I got the holes drilled & tapped to mount the line locks & the distribution block for the rear brake lines. I've got to find my line cutter so I can cut the brake line & then I can get to making the lines. And then weld on the brackets for the fittings.

20230329_150728.jpg

20230329_151754.jpg

20230329_151800.jpg

20230329_154750.jpg

@kiwi stopped by today and picked up the York compressor & I also gave him my old Tuffy underseat drawer for his TJ. It was great meeting you.

I was working on the rear axle when he arrived and then worked on it some more after he left. I got the holes drilled & tapped to mount the line locks & the distribution block for the rear brake lines. I've got to find my line cutter so I can cut the brake line & then I can get to making the lines. And then weld on the brackets for the fittings.

View attachment 411538

View attachment 411539

View attachment 411540

View attachment 411541

Damn! I know @Kiwi TJ gets around on the 'What did you do...' thread with his weekend trips but a trip to the PNW... That guy is getting around!

Oh wait.... 😄

Glad you're feeling better @Wildman ! Always love the build updates. Glad you're past the engine and on to buttoning up the rest of the drivetrain. 👍

Damn! I know @Kiwi TJ gets around on the 'What did you do...' thread with his weekend trips but a trip to the PNW... That guy is getting around!

Oh wait.... 😄

Glad you're feeling better @Wildman ! Always love the build updates. Glad you're past the engine and on to buttoning up the rest of the drivetrain. 👍

You should see my fuel bill lol