Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

Yeah, good luck with getting them to work nicely. They default locked so you are trying to unlock the clutches and if the spacer that holds the large clutch disc isn't the right length, you move the outer clutch back and the inner moves with it due to all the grease they want smeared on everything. Tighten the bolts that hold the hub lock and unlock knob in place just a smidge too tight or unevenly and the knob won't turn.

Yes, they are shit, but it's Yukon, to be expected.

Are you having the issue with the 04 SD unit bearing hubs? I found the perfect spacer is stacking 2 of the spacer rings together (...well, depending which size they send with your kit...). 0.800" total per side.

If you ever find out, let me know. I have a special box for snap rings from Yukon. 🤣
They make it sound important. Okay, great, I don't have a groove. Do I cut one, ignore it, take it apart again and see if I missed the groove that is so important that I have a snap ring for it, or what? Fuck it, if it dies it dies and I'll pretend I didn't have any snap rings.

They make it sound important. Okay, great, I don't have a groove. Do I cut one, ignore it, take it apart again and see if I missed the groove that is so important that I have a snap ring for it, or what? Fuck it, if it dies it dies and I'll pretend I didn't have any snap rings.

I had RCV custom cut me a groove and it still doesn't fit (not RCV's fault)! 🤬 I came to the conclusion that there's no possible way for it to fit unless you decide you aren't going to use the function of unlocking the hubs.

Reactions: Wildman
Well DAMN guess I'll try them and if I get pissed I'll get some 30 spline slugs from Warn and try their hubs again.
Just sucks when you're on a trail and have your locker locked and it's running 3 legged. Even had a Warn rep mess with them and couldn't find out what the issue was.

Well DAMN guess I'll try them and if I get pissed I'll get some 30 spline slugs from Warn and try their hubs again.
Just sucks when you're on a trail and have your locker locked and it's running 3 legged. Even had a Warn rep mess with them and couldn't find out what the issue was.
Bring the slugs for trail repair?

Reactions: Rick Flair
Yeah, good luck with getting them to work nicely. They default locked so you are trying to unlock the clutches and if the spacer that holds the large clutch disc isn't the right length, you move the outer clutch back and the inner moves with it due to all the grease they want smeared on everything. Tighten the bolts that hold the hub lock and unlock knob in place just a smidge too tight or unevenly and the knob won't turn.

Yes, they are shit, but it's Yukon, to be expected.
Awesome, looking forward to running them. My ring and pinions are Yukon in that rig also. My Hubs are probably extra fucked since they were an Amazon warehouse damaged package deal and I paid way less than full price. No, they had not been opened. Just the box looked like it fell down all the Stairs of the Empire state building. So mine will be sure to be extra sticky and I can take em' apart 20 times.

Cool build still tho Wildman! Drive slugs can be your back-up plan. Not trying to derail!

Bring the slugs for trail repair?

Warn makes a 30 spline replacement slug for their Dana 44 hubs to make them compatible with the RCV axles. The slug would allow me to run their hubs again. That is a great video and when I get to that point I'll make sure to watch it again. In his comments he said that Yukon sent him the thicker spacer so hopefully they'll send me one also if I need it.

Awesome, looking forward to running them. My ring and pinions are Yukon in that rig also. My Hubs are probably extra fucked since they were an Amazon warehouse damaged package deal and I paid way less than full price. No, they had not been opened. Just the box looked like it fell down all the Stairs of the Empire state building. So mine will be sure to be extra sticky and I can take em' apart 20 times.

Cool build still tho Wildman! Drive slugs can be your back-up plan. Not trying to derail!

I bought mine off Amazon also but they were new or undamaged box.

Reactions: Cross-Threaded-06TJ
Are you going back to drive slugs? How often do you pull the bearings out, clean things and repack? What is your opinion on the bonefish fab ball joint eliminator? I have not heard of these before and cannot get their website to load.

Here is a link to Bone Fish Fab's website. http://bonefishfab.com/

Warn makes a 30 spline replacement slug for their Dana 44 hubs to make them compatible with the RCV axles. The slug would allow me to run their hubs again. That is a great video and when I get to that point I'll make sure to watch it again. In his comments he said that Yukon sent him the thicker spacer so hopefully they'll send me one also if I need it.

I bought mine off Amazon also but they were new or undamaged box.

Not trying to derail again, but I paid 181$ for them, so I rolled the Dice. And the parts "look" great, but the box was hammered. I have read mixed reviews also and asked about them on PBB and CK5 and was told they are ok, some need different spacers. Most said for my old chevy dana 60 they seem to work great when installed correctly.

Mine are currently uninstalled and I have no real world experience with them yet. So, MrBlaine has been around far more sets than I have ever seen or will.

Got the ball joints pressed out and threw the knuckles into the blasting cabinet to clean them up some. I really need to go buy a more abrasive media for the cabinet. Got a list of things I need to get when I go to Yakima to pickup my block.

Before

20200521_122701.jpg

After

20200521_133151.jpg

Can't do any painting today as we've been having high winds for the past 2 days. Yesterday it was 30-50 MPH with gusts higher. Today is a LITTLE better but it's still blowing.

So now I guess I'll get the axle ready to weld the raised swaybar link mounts to it.

Not trying to derail again, but I paid 181$ for them, so I rolled the Dice. And the parts "look" great, but the box was hammered. I have read mixed reviews also and asked about them on PBB and CK5 and was told they are ok, some need different spacers. Most said for my old chevy dana 60 they seem to work great when installed correctly.

Mine are currently uninstalled and I have no real world experience with them yet. So, MrBlaine has been around far more sets than I have ever seen or will.

You aren't derailing the thread. This is how we all learn. I'd asked about them also and after all my issues with the Warn hubs I figured I'd give them a shot. If anything I'll end up running RCV slugs as they make them in a 30 spline.

1590096665580.png

https://www.rcvperformance.com/rcv-dana-44-drive-flange-kit-for-traditional-spindle.html

Reactions: Cross-Threaded-06TJ
I'm done for the day...….
When you are working on something and your leg almost falls off and turns sideways you take this as a indicator it's time to stop for the day.

I'll hit it again tomorrow.

Got the ball joints pressed out and threw the knuckles into the blasting cabinet to clean them up some. I really need to go buy a more abrasive media for the cabinet. Got a list of things I need to get when I go to Yakima to pickup my block.

Before

View attachment 163323

After

View attachment 163324

Can't do any painting today as we've been having high winds for the past 2 days. Yesterday it was 30-50 MPH with gusts higher. Today is a LITTLE better but it's still blowing.

So now I guess I'll get the axle ready to weld the raised swaybar link mounts to it.

You aren't derailing the thread. This is how we all learn. I'd asked about them also and after all my issues with the Warn hubs I figured I'd give them a shot. If anything I'll end up running RCV slugs as they make them in a 30 spline.

View attachment 163325

https://www.rcvperformance.com/rcv-dana-44-drive-flange-kit-for-traditional-spindle.html
Tractor Supply has blast media. Easy if you have one near you.

Tractor Supply has blast media. Easy if you have one near you.

No but the Farm & Home store might which would save me from driving to Yakima for it. But was going to wait until I went to get the block to stop off at Harbor Freight.

Okay is abrasive media grit like sand paper grit? The higher the number the finer it is? And the lower the number the more coarse it is?

The media I am using right now is a 80 grit and the next step down from that is a 70 grit.

1590106731363.png

By this chart I really "F"d up. I'm using soda media and I should be using glass bead or walnut shell. So I really need to get some different media for my cabinet. Leason learned.....

Okay is abrasive media grit like sand paper grit? The higher the number the finer it is? And the lower the number the more coarse it is?

The media I am using right now is a 80 grit and the next step down from that is a 70 grit.

View attachment 163437
By this chart I really "F"d up. I'm using soda media and I should be using glass bead or walnut shell. So I really need to get some different media for my cabinet. Leason learned.....
Yes, grit numbers go up as the size of the particle goes down.