Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

Well DAMN my welds still aren't awesome or even close. But I got it started. Still have more to do tomorrow.

20200524_163453.jpg

Well I'll mess with some scrap metal tomorrow and see if I can figure out what is going on. This is a new welder to me so I must not be getting it setup correctly or something.

OK been messing around with my welder and practicing some welds.

Let's hear your thoughts. Settings in picture.

20200525_115252.jpg
20200525_115306.jpg

Then I turned the voltage up to 21.5v.

2 welds on the left.

20200525_123715.jpg

Well figured out part of the problem. I wasn't getting any gas to the end of the welding cable.

See if you can pick out the 2 welds with shielding gas?

20200525_140710.jpg

My welds may not be great but I'm glad I figured out part of the problem.

Thanks for the help @someguysjeep

Well figured out part of the problem. I wasn't getting any gas to the end of the welding cable.

See if you can pick out the 2 welds with shielding gas?

View attachment 164474

My welds may not be great but I'm glad I figured out part of the problem.

Thanks for the help @someguysjeep
I thought it looked like a ton of impurities, glad you got it fixed. Now it’s time to grind off all those old ones ;)

How much rear stretch are you going to have?

The way I am figuring it right now I should be right at 5" of stretch for the rear. If I am right I'll have a 26 5/8" long driveline also.

98" WB as it sits right now unless I try to stretch the front a little more.

The way I am figuring it right now I should be right at 5" of stretch for the rear. If I am right I'll have a 26 5/8" long driveline also.

98" WB as it sits right now unless I try to stretch the front a little more.
What is keeping you from pushing that rear tire all the way back?

What is keeping you from pushing that rear tire all the way back?

I'm trying to keep it semi-legal to still drive on the street without getting hassled by the SP for no fender flares. I went with Metal Cloak stretch corners and 8" flares. This way I can take them off when I am going to be on a tight trail.

I'm trying to keep it semi-legal to still drive on the street without getting hassled by the SP for no fender flares. I went with Metal Cloak stretch corners and 8" flares. This way I can take them off when I am going to be on a tight trail.
Just curious, if you’ll wish you would have gone further back at any point.

Just curious, if you’ll wish you would have gone further back at any point.

Yes most likely I will. But the only way to do that and keep it some what legal would be to stretch the tub and frame also. And I did seriously think about doing that.

looking a lot better. now that spatter tells you, you are not burning all the material that's going at it, slow the feed down a touch more, may help.

Reactions: Wildman
Yes most likely I will. But the only way to do that and keep it some what legal would be to stretch the tub and frame also. And I did seriously think about doing that.
What constitutes as legal?

It seems to me as you are referring to fender flares. You could stretch it more even with flares. I’m not familiar with your corners. I sure wouldn’t let corners stop me from getting more WB, especially since this is the time to do it.

What constitutes as legal?

It seems to me as you are referring to fender flares. You could stretch it more even with flares. I’m not familiar with your corners. I sure wouldn’t let corners stop me from getting more WB, especially since this is the time to do it.

I'm not going to try and find the RCW for you but the basic is that your tires are supposed to be covered with a flare and you are required to have a mud flap that hangs to the center of your axle.
I'm back as far as I can and keep it legal without designing a completely custom flare system which is more than I want to do. This will work for me just fine and as I said if I wanted to go back more it would involve cutting my tub and frame and doing a stretch that way.