Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

It wasn't a good day in the White house (garage). I'd started off planning on replacing the injectors and was also going to install a new distributor cap & rotor plus plug wires. All this was trying to figure out why I can't seem to get this engine to run correctly. I'd also decided to do a compression test both Dry & Wet.
So I pulled all the plugs and started my compression test. Things were going great until I got to the $5 cylinder. If you remember this is the cylinder that I had the broken rocker arm on.
This time the rocker arm was loose again but the spring retainer was broken.... 😔☹️😩

20231122_133010.jpg

What all does this mean? Well since it's the same cylinder that I had the broken rocker arm on before my guess right now is that there is something wrong with the valve guide or the valve itself. So at a minimum I've got to pull the head and take them to the machine shop and have them gone through.
I'm considering pulling the engine so I can also inspect the main & rod bearings to make sure the clearance on them is good.

Here's the compression test, Top is Dry & bottom is Wet.

20231122_135359.jpg

How come 6 is so much lower than the rest? That is a problem too. I'm actually seeing more variation across the board than I generally do, but I'm not an expert either.

I don't know why. Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to JUST pull the heads and have them gone through or pull the whole engine and go through all of it.
For as little running time I've had that one cylinder could just be that the rings haven't fully seated yet. Or it could be something more.

The EQ heads that I have on the engine came fully assembled. I'd read about a very limited number of people who had had issues with these EQ heads where the valve stem clearance was too tight. I decided to throw the dice and didn't have them checked when the machine shop was working on the block.

I don't know why. Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to JUST pull the heads and have them gone through or pull the whole engine and go through all of it.
For as little running time I've had that one cylinder could just be that the rings haven't fully seated yet. Or it could be something more.

The EQ heads that I have on the engine came fully assembled. I'd read about a very limited number of people who had had issues with these EQ heads where the valve stem clearance was too tight. I decided to throw the dice and didn't have them checked when the machine shop was working on the block.

I'm anal retentive as shit about that stuff. If it was me, as much as it sucks, that engine would be coming out. At this point, I think I have about zero confidence in your engine builder. I'd be pulling it and checking clearances myself.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
I'm anal retentive as shit about that stuff. If it was me, as much as it sucks, that engine would be coming out. At this point, I think I have about zero confidence in your engine builder. I'd be pulling it and checking clearances myself.

I am the engine builder....

Edit: And I'm doubting my abilities right now...

I am the engine builder....

Edit: And I'm doubting my abilities right now...

Oh...Lol. No offence meant, Rick...I thought you had it built. Anyway, yeah, Its time to pull that bad boy apart. Too much time and effort has gone into it to have that nagging doubt in the back of your mind.

Oh...Lol. No offence meant, Rick...I thought you had it built. Anyway, yeah, Its time to pull that bad boy apart. Too much time and effort has gone into it to have that nagging doubt in the back of your mind.

Not offended...

I know I probably should pull it and disassemble it and recheck everything but I'm also at the point where I'm about DONE with it...

It's things like the damn temp sensor going bad. I've maybe got 30 minutes of run time on it... Shit just keeps happening.

• Sad
Reactions: RINC and reddvltj
Not offended...

I know I probably should pull it and disassemble it and recheck everything but I'm also at the point where I'm about DONE with it...

It's things like the damn temp sensor going bad. I've maybe got 30 minutes of run time on it... Shit just keeps happening.

90% of the time is in 10% of the build...I'm not looking forward to that point with the motorhome.

Reactions: lBasket and Wildman
This looks like some kind of interference. Perhaps coil bind?

While I agree with part of that I have a hard time accepting that it's coil bind. If that was the case why aren't any of the other springs acting the same way?
Since this is the cylinder that broke the rocker arm I really think it's got something to do with the valve sticking in the head.

There were a few threads that mention very few of these heads that came fully assembled that had problems where the guides were to tight. But I won't know for sure until I pull the heads.

Reactions: Modoc Guy and RINC
Got some work done today. Started off doing a leakdown test on cylinder #5,6 & 7.

Here's #6. After I did the leakdown test I did a compression test on the cylinder & got 215lbs xompression

20231123_121949.jpg

Here's cylinder #5. You could hear air leaking out the intake just a little bit.

20231123_122644.jpg

The one that has me scratching my head is #7. I could hear air leaking out the intake on it but when I did the compression test again I got 175lbs compression.

20231123_123031.jpg

Intake is off. I need to pull the headers tomorrow and then I can pull the heads. Then on Monday I'll run them over to the machine shop in Selah.

20231123_154857.jpg

DMAN IT I'm tired of seeing this engine like this.

Got some work done today. Started off doing a leakdown test on cylinder #5,6 & 7.

Here's #6. After I did the leakdown test I did a compression test on the cylinder & got 215lbs xompression

View attachment 476525
Here's cylinder #5. You could hear air leaking out the intake just a little bit.

View attachment 476526

The one that has me scratching my head is #7. I could hear air leaking out the intake on it but when I did the compression test again I got 175lbs compression.

View attachment 476527

Intake is off. I need to pull the headers tomorrow and then I can pull the heads. Then on Monday I'll run them over to the machine shop in Selah.

View attachment 476528

DMAN IT I'm tired of seeing this engine like this.

You got this. Face Towards the Enemy. 💪

Man I have been watching this thread since the beginning. I am supporting you in solidarity, but got nothing to add. I can somehow empathize with your frustration*.

* I do a lot of coding for work. When a program breaks, I am cool, calm and can fix it. The times I've built expensive CPUs from scratch and they don't work, I want to throw it out the window. I have sh**all to add on motor building. I am a super newb, but I was happy to successfully overhaul my 4.0's coolant system with one one minor/major hiccup.

Man I have been watching this thread since the beginning. I am supporting you in solidarity, but got nothing to add. I can somehow empathize with your frustration*.

* I do a lot of coding for work. When a program breaks, I am cool, calm and can fix it. The times I've built expensive CPUs from scratch and they don't work, I want to throw it out the window. I have sh**all to add on motor building. I am a super newb, but I was happy to successfully overhaul my 4.0's coolant system with one one minor/major hiccup.

Thanks & there have been times I'd wished I could throw it out the window..... For me writing code is Greek.

You’re so close my friend! This is minor in comparison to the mountain you’ve climbed doing than build!

And you know we’re all at the edge of our collective seats waiting for you to wheel that bad boy! 😸

You & me both want to see this thing out on some trails tearing it up. It might seem minor but sitting here looking at it seems more like a VERY steep grade I'm not sure I've got the gumption to climb. But I also know what it'll take to pull the heads and it's really not that hard a job. I'm very interested in seeing what I find once I have the head off.

You & me both want to see this thing out on some trails tearing it up. It might seem minor but sitting here looking at it seems more like a VERY steep grade I'm not sure I've got the gumption to climb. But I also know what it'll take to pull the heads and it's really not that hard a job. I'm very interested in seeing what I find once I have the head off.
Give me a few weeks at the new job and I'll have the time and funds to come lend a pair of hands for a few days at a time.

Thanks & there have been times I'd wished I could throw it out the window..... For me writing code is Greek.

Yeah, I’m curious about that one valve with the broken retainer.

Tight valve guide? Slightly bent valve? Galled stem? And why only one valve?

And I agree with pulling the heads and checking all the valves and guides. Better to find an issue now, than wait for a break down out on a trail!

Reactions: RINC