Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

This is what it looked like right before I traded it for the stroker engine.

IMG_1032.JPG

I know you already painted some stuff, but a unique look that I’ve seen a couple times is a matte clear coat over sanded steel. Looks pretty nice to me.

I've only painted the headers & knuckles & steering arms. Engine parts I'll start painting once I start to work on it.

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
I'm thinking the Chrysler Blue with Aluminum colored heads and then Anodized Blue for the timing cover and accessory brackets? Or should I go a different color for the heads? Could go a darker blue on the heads instead?
They also have some Metallic colors

Screenshot (21).png

Or Wrinkle colors:

Screenshot (22).png

They also have some Flat colors..... So the Chry Blue for the block, Flat Blue for the heads & the what color for the accessory brackets? Or is that too much Blue?

Screenshot (23).png

Okay after throwing a TON of colors around and having my fashion minded plus cake decorating daughters help I HOPE I have my colors figured out.

Going to use all FLAT colors.
Engine block- Flat Orange
Heads- Flat Aluminum
Accessory Brackets- Flat Blue
Oil Pan- Flat Black
Valve Covers- Wrinkle Black

We'll see how this all turns out and I guess if I don't like it I can always change the colors.

It’s looking awesome! Welcome back to the project. Very nice! That engine is going to be stokin’! I mean strokin’!

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman
Fixed the spots I messed up and repainted the headers. They are cooking again in the oven. Ran out of the VHT paint I had so had to use some Duplicolor paint I had instead. Will be interesting to see how this paint looks compared to the VHT. They were both High Temp paints so we'll see.

Reactions: JMT and DrDmoney
Well that was a MAJOR FAIL. Guess I should have read the directions on the Duplicolor paint. It must not be the same as the VHT paint because it all bubbled up on me. So now I have even more work cut out for me.....
Not I've got to sand it all back down and respray the headers with some VHT paint. O'well just a little more work and I'll be baking auto parts again.

20200704_201344.jpg

20200704_201352.jpg

Well that was a MAJOR FAIL. Guess I should have read the directions on the Duplicolor paint. It must not be the same as the VHT paint because it all bubbled up on me. So now I have even more work cut out for me.....
Not I've got to sand it all back down and respray the headers with some VHT paint. O'well just a little more work and I'll be baking auto parts again.

View attachment 174600

View attachment 174601
Your headers look like they have an STD.... Good thing you have that media cabinet.

The color looks good though.

Makes me wonder how it will hold up to the exhaust temps. Or do you think it was just the mix of the two paint types?

The VHT paint didn't bubble up like this so I'm guessing it is the Duplicolor paint. I just take it all back down and start over. Not a HUGE deal.

Reactions: DrDmoney and Alex01