Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

There are tank builders who will build to your spec. Not sure on cost, but I am sure it is high for something one off.

Yes I am sure that if you want to THROW enough money at someone like RCI they'd make you any size & shape tank you want but the Dang Nab GenRight tanks are spendy enough. There's a lot of other things I'd rather spend those funds on.

I've been looking and talking for the past few years at all the different performance sites about what cam to run in this engine when it's all said and done. Now I really don't care to see my peak RPM's get much above 5,500 and HOPE I don't see much above 5K.

So choices are not many when it comes to the magnum V-8. Of course Comp Cam, Crane cam & others will grind you a custom cam but I wasn't ever sold on getting one of theirs. And so for those of you who are looking at what engine to choose just remember that Mopar is the red headed step child.

UTAwesome Performance is the company I have decided to go to for my cam. http://utawesomeperformance.com/index.html
The cam I'm going to use is their purpose built cam for stroker 408 engines. http://utawesomeperformance.com/store/p38/UTP_408_Camshaft.html

Here is the dyno chart from this cam.

1585639383508.png

Advertised Duration 288 intake/294 exhaust split pattern high torque

Duration @0.050 236 intake/242 exhaust

Lobe Separation 108 LSA

Lift Intake 0.347" and Exhaust at 0.360 (0.544/555" with 1.6 roller ratio)

75 Degrees overlap

Last edited:
Seems like every time I think spring is finally here and I start to think about moving stuff out of my garage so I have room to work something happens..... And I woke up this morning to this great sight...

20200331_063554.jpg
20200331_063600.jpg

Okay and the good times just keep rolling in...… @mrblaine I hope you can answer this question. I just got done talking with Off-Road Only was showing him a picture of the mid arm kit and he told me I might not be able to run that kit unless I can have a rubber bushing at one end. With the way the height sensors mount the rotation of the Johnny Joints would cause the control arm to rotate too much and cause erratic readings.

Update: ORO just got back with me and said we might be about to use the arms from the SwayLoc in the front and Anti-Rock in the rear to give the needed readings.

Last edited:
I've been collecting how others did the wiring on their TJ's when they did the swap. So here is a little collection of all the wiring tips I have found up til now.

Attachments

• Engine Swap Wiring Maybe-converted.pdf
    179.9 KB · Views: 174
Today was a fun day. Took the engine block, heads, crank and other parts over to the machine shop to get them started on all the work. Pus gave me a chance to help out a local business by giving them some money. So the first step is done and now I just wait for them to be done.

Brown truck dropped off more stuff. I have the 3 speed cable shifter from Northwest Fabworks and the wire loom kit from Painless Wiring were all on the steps when I got home.

Weather is still nasty and was trying to snow when I got home. But I hope the forecast holds true for next week which says it's going to warm up.

Well nothing spectacular other than ordering parts. I've been debating if I wanted to try to build my own new center console or spend the money on the one from GenRight so I decided I'd spend a little more money and get one that looked NICE. I was going to try to build my own but I really doubt I could have made one that looked as nice.

https://genright.com/products/aluminum-center-console-for-jeep-tj-or-lj.html

Reactions: Apparition
Well nothing spectacular other than ordering parts. I've been debating if I wanted to try to build my own new center console or spend the money on the one from GenRight so I decided I'd spend a little more money and get one that looked NICE. I was going to try to build my own but I really doubt I could have made one that looked as nice.

https://genright.com/products/aluminum-center-console-for-jeep-tj-or-lj.html
Good choice. While it looks easy to build. It certainly is not.

Reactions: Wildman
Well nothing great to report other than I just got my email telling me my Savvy mid arm kit is being shipped. Forgot to order the Currie rear anti-rock kit so that is coming in a separate order. But I have a tracking # for the suspension.

My bead blasting cabinet came in today also so I will put that together tomorrow and get it setup.

Also spoke with GenRight today about their tanks and the new tanks they sell won't work until you are running coilovers. I'm talking about the Comp20 or Comp23 tanks.

https://genright.com/products/tj-lj-crawler-comp20-gas-tank-skid-plate-20-gal.html
So since I am running my air bags I have to use the EXT tank for 20 gallons or the Comp Classic for 15 gallons. I'm not going to order either tank until I get the stretch done and see how much room I have.

https://genright.com/products/jeep-tj-lj-crawler-ext-gas-tank-skid-plate-19-5-gal.html

Hot damn I need to get my butt BUSY......….. Tracking says my kit will be here on Thursday 4/9/20. But it'll be good to look at the kit and get a better understanding.

Well Ding Dang just got off the phone with WOD and the issue with the Art Carr shifters are that Art Carr has been shutdown since the start of the COVID-19 outbreak. So there are no shifters being produced right now nor will there be until this is over with. So who knows when they will be in production again. Right now it is looking like the end of April at the earliest which means I won't get mine until May sometime.
I know from reading others posts and talking with other shops that this isn't a rare occurrence. Hopefully this won't be what is keeping me from being finished.

Reactions: TJ Starting
Fender # 2 is off. Now to get the old engine removed and then I can start on removing the axles and old suspension.
20200408_134257.jpg

With my planned on mods to my engine with it being a stroker and a LOT larger engine than what came stock for my fuel system I plan on doing some upgrades to it. Fist will be to tap into the stock fuel module with a kit from Hipotek that allows me to use AN fittings for the fuel system.

Then I'm also looking at upgrading the fuel pump to a higher volume.