Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

Needs more pics of things getting finished!

Did you miss the pictures of the engine getting done? I'm making sure that cam is DEGREED tits on before I button that engine up. Those are zero clearance pistons in there. I'll shoot you a shot of piston at TDC tomorrow.

Did you miss the pictures of the engine getting done? I'm making sure that cam is DEGREED tits on before I button that engine up. Those are zero clearance pistons in there. I'll shoot you a shot of piston at TDC tomorrow.
Oh shoots I must have missed it.

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman
Oh shoots I must have missed it.

It may not SEEM like a lot of work was done but I got the timing chain installed and then found TDC on the #1 piston. Yep it took me less than a minute to write all that. But a few hours to finally get it figured out.
Tomorrow I'm going to verify the cam centerline for both intake and exhaust and the other cam specs to make sure everything is correct. Boring to read about but time consuming to get all this done.

Reactions: JMT and Alex01
Hey, wait a minute...

Now that wasn't a DIG on you..... That was a slam against me becasue I'm not of the same caliber as you and your craftmanship. And I know this which was why I made the comment. I can FU hanging a picture.

So a few have asked the why of what I'm doing on the engine right now. Here is a good video that explains more of the why's of what I am doing on my engine.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Well today was a BUST. I was so CLOSE but then it all went to HELL. The first time it was me not paying attention but then I kept getting weird readings. So after messing with it more I've come to the conclusion that I need to come up with a better system to get my reading from the lifter. On one video the mechanic had welded a old push rod to a old lifter. So I may try that tomorrow. First I've got to find my old push rods and hope I didn't throw them out.

So my intake lobe center is suppose to be 104* and I was at 106* so it should have been really simple to change..... Never works out that way for me it seems.

• Sad
Reactions: davemayn13
YAHOOOOOOOOO,
I finally got it. Swapping the analog dial indicator for the digital dial indicator I bought.

Took a lifter apart and removed the spring and shimmed it with two washers.

Then took the timing chain back to 0* and started all over. First reading got me @ 105*. So pulled it back apart and advanced the crankshaft sprocket 2* which moves the camshaft 1*.

Ran it again and got 103.5*.... Hot Damn that's great....
20210116_132140.jpg

Then to check everything is working as it's supposed to rotated the engine to check the cam timing. At .050 BTDC the intake valve opening should be 5*

20210116_132253.jpg

Then continue to rotate the engine and the intake valve closing at .050 ABDC should be 33*. For that number you need to read the black number. I got 31.5* which for this is as close as you can get it.

20210116_132542.jpg

So the cam is installed and DONE.

20210116_132611.jpg

Some asked about the timing chain I'm using. It has a crankshaft sprocket with 9 slots in it so you can degree the cam in 1* increments.

20210116_132905.jpg

As you can see here I've advanced it 2* at the crankshaft.

20210116_132925.jpg

20210116_132931.jpg

20210116_132941.jpg

This type of sprocket allows you to get your cam timing right on or DAMN close.

Now I can continue with the assembly of the engine. I've got to clean up a few parts and then I'm going to paint the block and other parts.
Can’t wait to see this thing come together with that gnarly intake sitting on top.

Last edited:
Got all the tools put away from doing the cam degree and then got the block ready to be painted. Then wiped it all down with some acetone. Then installed the front cover & oil pan.

Laid down two coats of primer to start with. I'll put down two more coats of primer tomorrow and then let it all dry before I paint it with the color I picked out.

20210117_170321.jpg

20210117_170518.jpg

Two more hints, please.

1) Was the primer rattle canned or HVLP sprayed?

2) Is the "color" coat one or two stage?

If the answer is anything on either question, I will pick that turquoise (green, blue) color

Two more hints, please.

1) Was the primer rattle canned or HVLP sprayed?

2) Is the "color" coat one or two stage?

If the answer is anything on either question, I will pick that turquoise (green, blue) color

1) Rattle can

2) One Stage

Reactions: Alex01