Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

Well for my FIRST attempt at painting I don't feel too bad 🙂.

20211125_153638.jpg

20211125_153648.jpg

Towards the end it stopped spraying and was dribbling out instead.

20211125_153626.jpg

And then at one point I'd tipped the gun over to far and paint ran out the top.
I'll get a picture of that mess later.

OK paint in guys...

The primer I have is a 4:1 mix.

View attachment 292524

And I have the activator called for.

View attachment 292525

So if I'm understanding this correctly I fill this cup up to the 4 line and then add the activator to the 5 line?

View attachment 292526

It says I can use reducer if I want but not needed.

Do I use the paint mixer on the gallon of primer before I pour it into the cup? And then use the stir sticks to mix the reducer and primer in the cup?
Then when I pour the mixture from the cup into the cup on the gun I use a strainer?
This is what I remember from some of the videos I've watched.
You match each number to the next column. So 4 in the first would be 4 in the second. Since you're only doing 4:1 you'd just worry about the first two column. Next would be 5,5 and so on. The numbers just demonstrate the amount of material you want.

You match each number to the next column. So 4 in the first would be 4 in the second. Since you're only doing 4:1 you'd just worry about the first two column. Next would be 5,5 and so on. The numbers just demonstrate the amount of material you want.

I'm glad I was trying primer first so most of my mistakes won't show up. I can see that I need to get some smaller cups for the paint gun when trying to get into tight spots. I was trying to tip the gun to get up under the dash and leaked paint all over the floorboards. I will sand down some of that spillage before I spray the Lizard Skin. But I THINK I'm ready to do the Lizard Skin tomorrow. I've got the heaters in the garage turned up so it's WARM in my garage. I'll let it dry overnight and then look at it again tomorrow.

I'd like to figure out WTF happened at the end when it started to dribble out instead of spray out. I thought I was almost empty but I still had about 1/4 paint left in the cup on the gun.

I'm glad I was trying primer first so most of my mistakes won't show up. I can see that I need to get some smaller cups for the paint gun when trying to get into tight spots. I was trying to tip the gun to get up under the dash and leaked paint all over the floorboards. I will sand down some of that spillage before I spray the Lizard Skin. But I THINK I'm ready to do the Lizard Skin tomorrow. I've got the heaters in the garage turned up so it's WARM in my garage. I'll let it dry overnight and then look at it again tomorrow.

I'd like to figure out WTF happened at the end when it started to dribble out instead of spray out. I thought I was almost empty but I still had about 1/4 paint left in the cup on the gun.
I've use a devilbis bag system that goes inside the cup with a plastic ferule that seals the bag into the bottom of the cup. Then zip locked sealed and you can turn the gun upside down w/o dribbling. The bag collapses as you paint.

Is it possible that the air regulator got bumped and shorted it for air? The paint will dribble out of those gravity guns in the absence of air pressure when the trigger is pulled.

Here is my spillage where the paint spilled out.

20211125_172224.jpg

It isn't as bad as I'd thought it was originally.

20211125_172233.jpg

And then here is where it started dribbling.

20211125_172244.jpg

I've use a devilbis bag system that goes inside the cup with a plastic ferule that seals the bag into the bottom of the cup. Then zip locked sealed and you can turn the gun upside down w/o dribbling. The bag collapses as you paint.

Is it possible that the air regulator got bumped and shorted it for air? The paint will dribble out of those gravity guns in the absence of air pressure when the trigger is pulled.

Well I'm sure learning as I go. I'll have it half figured out by the time I'm finally done.

I checked the regulator and it was showing 40 PSI like I'd had it set at to start with.

Reactions: reddvltj
Here is my spillage where the paint spilled out.

View attachment 292572

It isn't as bad as I'd thought it was originally.

View attachment 292573

And then here is where it started dribbling.

View attachment 292574

Well I'm sure learning as I go. I'll have it half figured out by the time I'm finally done.

I checked the regulator and it was showing 40 PSI like I'd had it set at to start with.
I typically shoot at 20 psi but that's just what works for me.

Hit that with some sand paper and it will flatten out just fine. Looks great.

Easier than spray cans right!?!

The HF guns will do that. They are inexpensive for a reason, so the tolerances aren't great. Back in my painting days, I spent $600 for a SATA gun. Paint guns, fire arms, yeah, same idea. Being that you are diving in to this I commend you for your efforts. Personally, I would have skipped the primer and just went straight to the Lizard skin. Primer surfacer is meant to be sanded, and that does not look like a lot of fun.

The HF guns will do that. They are inexpensive for a reason, so the tolerances aren't great. Back in my painting days, I spent $600 for a SATA gun. Paint guns, fire arms, yeah, same idea. Being that you are diving in to this I commend you for your efforts. Personally, I would have skipped the primer and just went straight to the Lizard skin. Primer surfacer is meant to be sanded, and that does not look like a lot of fun.

The instructions from Lizard Skin say not to spray directly onto bare metal and to spray primer over any bare metal. I would have liked to just done without spraying the primer.

Yes I'm sure that there is a big difference between the HF guns and more expensive ones. For what I'm doing I HOPE these will be OK.

When I start to put the Jeep back together I'm thinking about replacing the underseat drawer with a larger one from Tuffy.

I've got two choices.
The medium size drawer that is:
Exterior Dimensions30" L x 35 3/8" W x 8" H
Interior Compartment29 1/2" L x 28 1/2" W x 7"

https://tuffyproducts.com/products/mid-size-suv-cargo-area-security-drawer-universal-suv/
Or the large size drawer this is:
Exterior Dimensions20 1/8" L x Box 34 1/4" W, Overall 35 1/4" W x 11 3/4" H
Interior Compartment19 7/8" L x Bottom 32 3/4" W, Top 27 3/4" W x 10 7/8" H

https://tuffyproducts.com/products/...eats-must-be-removed-on-non-unlimited-models/
If I go with the medium size drawer I'd get the 1" riser to install underneath it to give me a place to put things like tarps and stuff. They both cost $699 so that doesn't make it any cheaper one way or the other.

Rick, if you have other Tuffy gear, you can request the same key lock (code) so it’s one key. If they don’t have it, they will send you new locks for the existing tuffy products you have. I like their service.

Reactions: reddvltj and JMT
Rick, if you have other Tuffy gear, you can request the same key lock (code) so it’s one key. If they don’t have it, they will send you new locks for the existing tuffy products you have. I like their service.

I have spare locks already sitting here. I had all my stuff keyed the same before and plan on doing it again. But thanks for the tip.

Reactions: DrDmoney and JMT
Personally, I would have skipped the primer and just went straight to the Lizard skin. Primer surfacer is meant to be sanded, and that does not look like a lot of fun.

From their website if I just sprayed the primer I it doesn't need to scuffed.

LizardSkin coatings must be applied to a clean, dry surface that is free from rust and corrosion. For bare steel surfaces, a primer is required. All other types of substrates do not require a primer. LizardSkin can be applied without scuffing to a newly primed metal surface.

When I start to put the Jeep back together I'm thinking about replacing the underseat drawer with a larger one from Tuffy.

I've got two choices.
The medium size drawer that is:
Exterior Dimensions30" L x 35 3/8" W x 8" H
Interior Compartment29 1/2" L x 28 1/2" W x 7"

https://tuffyproducts.com/products/mid-size-suv-cargo-area-security-drawer-universal-suv/
Or the large size drawer this is:
Exterior Dimensions20 1/8" L x Box 34 1/4" W, Overall 35 1/4" W x 11 3/4" H
Interior Compartment19 7/8" L x Bottom 32 3/4" W, Top 27 3/4" W x 10 7/8" H

https://tuffyproducts.com/products/...eats-must-be-removed-on-non-unlimited-models/
If I go with the medium size drawer I'd get the 1" riser to install underneath it to give me a place to put things like tarps and stuff. They both cost $699 so that doesn't make it any cheaper one way or the other.
Gotta admit I like the large one cause it gives you side panels that go over the wheel wells.

Gotta admit I like the large one cause it gives you side panels that go over the wheel wells.

I like that part also as it MIGHT keep some of the MUD from falling down next to it. But the part I did find interesting was that the medium drawer is actually larger than the large drawer. It isn't as tall but it's longer which might be handy for storing some items.

I like that part also as it MIGHT keep some of the MUD from falling down next to it. But the part I did find interesting was that the medium drawer is actually larger than the large drawer. It isn't as tall but it's longer which might be handy for storing some items.
I noticed that too but it might interfere with reclining the seats, that might not be an issue for your seats but I had to remove my harness bar so the wife could recline hers enough to be comfortable.

Reactions: reddvltj