Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

Finally got into town for a haircut and picked up the bottle of tri-mix. My local OxArc gives you 25% off if you fill out a page of info and pay cash đź’˛. So of course I did and saved almost $25 which is cool.

Got my Jeep club meeting tonight so I doubt I'll get anything done on the Jeep today.

Reactions: reddvltj and Alex01
Of course with the STaK's t-case no longer made it isn't a option for the plates to be cut for one.
GR only offers the plate cut for a Atlas cable shifter.

View attachment 293707

So I'm going to have to cut more space for the 3rd shifter.

View attachment 293708

This is the bracket included with the STaK's shifter system offered by NWF. It's beefy.

View attachment 293709

The ring for the shifter boot shows how much larger it is.

View attachment 293710

I do have a question since the shifter boot doesn't have any holes in it yet.

Is it made to be installed like this? Doesn't make sense to me but?

View attachment 293713

Or installed on the outside like this? This is how I've always done it but thought I'd ask.

View attachment 293714

And the plate doesn't have the cutout for the 12v accessory panel.

View attachment 293711

It will go about here.

View attachment 293712

Which BTW leaves me a great spot for a pair of levers for some turning brakes... :giggle:(y). Good spot @B00mb00m?
Fiiiiiine place for a pair of cutting brake levers. Fine. Just fine.

Fiiiiiine place for a pair of cutting brake levers. Fine. Just fine.

would you go dual or single lever? I was thinking single lever at first but then I saw a video of the Wilwood one and it seemed to have a lot of travel.
Was also trying to think of other ways to make cutting brakes, like using the electric line locks for each wheel but you have to depress the brakes for them to work so that wouldn't work.

Reactions: reddvltj
OK so as we all know you can't be in the garage and not work.

I had to cut up the new center dash piece to fit around the GR center console.

20211202_124422.jpg

20211202_124440.jpg

And then cut the center piece of the dash to fit the dual din stereo.

20211202_115851.jpg

20211202_115901.jpg

They include these spacers for the HVAC control panel.

20211202_121227.jpg

20211202_121237.jpg

Then to mount the GR center console to the tub they include 4 nutzerts for these brackets.

20211202_123550.jpg

20211202_123602.jpg

Then with the center piece set in place.

20211202_123631.jpg

So no I'm not going to get anything done today on the Jeep.

20211202_124418.jpg

Gotcha! I was thinking it was part of the Genright kit and was confused.

Overall impressions of the center console so far?

So far I am liking the center console other than they don't include any instructions. The first time I started to assemble it I had stuff wrong.
I ended up calling GR and asking where the two mounting brackets went. Plus I was having fitment issues because my tub is bent and the bedliner wasn't letting things fit flush.
I just used a grinder to clearance things until it fit.

would you go dual or single lever? I was thinking single lever at first but then I saw a video of the Wilwood one and it seemed to have a lot of travel.
Was also trying to think of other ways to make cutting brakes, like using the electric line locks for each wheel but you have to depress the brakes for them to work so that wouldn't work.
Duals. Not sure why depressing the brakes = wouldn't work but i don't want to disrupt your flow. Keep er moving!

Duals. Not sure why depressing the brakes = wouldn't work but i don't want to disrupt your flow. Keep er moving!

I'm just thinking it's one more step to lock up the wheel. I was looking at it as less plumbing with line locks. I've only ever driven a tractor with steering brakes so have no idea if it would matter when wheeling to have to hit the brakes to lock one wheel or not.

But my idea of where I'd put them won't work. It's too far behind the seats.

20211202_134416.jpg

20211202_134513.jpg

20211202_134528.jpg

20211202_135602.jpg

So either no cutting brakes or back to the drawing board.

One idea that comes to mind looking at it is to use the area for the radio. I'll have to look at it more later.
20211202_141020.jpg

But the cables for the STaK's shifter will also be occupying that area.

• Sad
Reactions: reddvltj
I'd wanted to set the seats in the tub to make sure I had the center console centered properly before drilling the holes for the nutzerts.

Also I was asked why I'd cut the dash piece. If I hadn't I couldn't remove it without first disassembling the center console.

20211202_134601.jpg

20211202_134630.jpg

Also the stock center piece has 4 clips that hold it on the dash. This piece only has the 2 lower ones and the top two screws.

If you look at GR's website they cut the center piece below the HVAC control panel and leave the sides open. It doesn't look as clean to me.

I'd wanted to set the seats in the tub to make sure I had the center console centered properly before drilling the holes for the nutzerts.

Also I was asked why I'd cut the dash piece. If I hadn't I couldn't remove it without first disassembling the center console.

View attachment 293852

View attachment 293853

Also the stock center piece has 4 clips that hold it on the dash. This piece only has the 2 lower ones and the top two screws.

If you look at GR's website they cut the center piece below the HVAC control panel and leave the sides open. It doesn't look as clean to me.
I certainly agree with cutting the dash piece. I quite often have to pull the dash piece to get at wiring behind it - I’d hate to have to pull the console each time.

I certainly agree with cutting the dash piece. I quite often have to pull the dash piece to get at wiring behind it - I’d hate to have to pull the console each time.

Thanks. I'd looked at it and thought about not cutting it. But then I remembered the number of times I'd had the dash apart.

I came across this digital gauge cluster on a different forum. I don't know why but I am a sucker for digital gauges. I really like it and think it looks KOOLLLLLLLLL...……………………..

https://www.intellitronix.com/product-page/jeep-97-06-tj-led-digital-gauge-panel
So I am not sure yet if one will find it's way into my TJ or not. Only time will tell. I've had a digital gauge cluster in a Jeep before but it was an older CJ-5.

View attachment 80427

View attachment 80428

View attachment 80429

So they offer it in White, Blue, Green or Red for colors.
I kinda want it. I’ve been eyeballing a white one for a couple months now.