Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

Well why would cutting ANOTHER hole into my frame bother me now? Shit I've cut the frame in half and then glued it back together. Then I cut the back of the frame off and glued it back together higher than it was when I cut it off. Then I cut a notch in the frame for the drag link so at this point WTF??? What is one more hole right? So I pulled the steering box out of the way first. Then I started to cut.

Like I said piece of cake.
20220117_094231.jpg

20220117_094236.jpg

20220117_094254.jpg

I need to slap the steering box back on and cycle it just to make sure before I weld the hole up. But the KEWL part this time is that the piece I cut out can be flipped and used to fill in the hole.

20220117_095312.jpg

And I've got all those wedges that @WSS cut for me to fill in the two ends.

20220117_095338.jpg

Yep it is cleared 👌 and then some.

20220117_123548.jpg

As I'd said before it was right at the end of the stroke of the steering. But it was contacting the frame. Which could have caused issues sometime in the future.

20220117_123709.jpg

Now it fits no problem and I won't be worried about it.

OK all welded back up. I don't know what it is about doing upside-down welds but even the damn welder was running different.

20220117_141914.jpg

It didn't have to be perfect but I didn't want it to look like crap either.

20220117_141936.jpg
20220117_141949.jpg

So now I start taking things apart up front.
Still waiting on UPS.

20220117_142000.jpg

hey man...................... every time i open my marketplace i see these 36" wheels. i was gonna ask if he'd sell those rims separate?

;)

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman
Got a late start today.
First thing was to clean the floor again.

I've got some metal pieces that I'm willing to sell for the right price $$$.
Some assembly is required.

20220118_133240.jpg
20220118_133254.jpg

When I'd done the load bolt I didn't take the inner pinion bearing cup out and it'd gotten pretty hot.
So I'd decided to order a new one. Of course the first one was wrong because I can't read.

20220118_134417.jpg

New one arrived today. I'd also ordered a ARB master skim and ARB shim pack for a Dana 60.
And because of the amount of shims used in the past I'd ordered extra pinion depth and carrier shims just to be safe.

20220118_134433.jpg
20220118_134437.jpg

Of course if it was a Dana 30/35/44 or Ford 8.8 I've got tons of extra shims for them.
This is only my second time ever doing a Dana 60 and my first HP60.

20220118_134526.jpg

i just happened to snag a couple yukon mini kits from FB cheap and i'm so glad i did. the shims i was provided with the Revo RnP did not offer as good a selection of thinner pieces and the Revo pinion shims were for under the pinion race while the yukons were for under the pinion head...........never a bad idea to have extra shims.

i just happened to snag a couple yukon mini kits from FB cheap and i'm so glad i did. the shims i was provided with the Revo RnP did not offer as good a selection of thinner pieces and the Revo pinion shims were for under the pinion race while the yukons were for under the pinion head...........never a bad idea to have extra shims.

Yes having extra shims is always a good thing. It's why I keep any extras I have left.

I'm back in a holding pattern with the rear axle.
I didn't look at the package of locking tabs as for part number just the number of tabs.
Then get everything laid out today to start working on the axle and.......

I got 6mm not 8mm locking tabs.

20220118_145813.jpg
20220118_145820.jpg

And you can't make one fit either....

20220118_145842.jpg

So I sent a email about it and called them.

I guess I have to take part blame on this. When I'd sent a link to the locking tabs to show it was supposed to be (8) in the pack I'd linked the 6mm instead of the 8mm ones. Now I'd ordered the 8mm lock tabs but instead of asking me which ones I needed they just sent the ones I'd linked in the email when I was pointing out the screwup.

My fault for not looking closer at the part I was linking. Just SUCKS that it's another 2 days before I will get the parts.

I guess I have to take part blame on this. When I'd sent a link to the locking tabs to show it was supposed to be (8) in the pack I'd linked the 6mm instead of the 8mm ones. Now I'd ordered the 8mm lock tabs but instead of asking me which ones I needed they just sent the ones I'd linked in the email when I was pointing out the screwup.

My fault for not looking closer at the part I was linking. Just SUCKS that it's another 2 days before I will get the parts.
We spend many a day waiting for brown Santa to deliver parts on the farm. I feel your pain! On long term projects it’s not so bad if you have other directions to go while you wait.

We spend many a day waiting for brown Santa to deliver parts on the farm. I feel your pain! On long term projects it’s not so bad if you have other directions to go while you wait.

Yes there are other things I can do to my rig while I wait but I'd just had the mindset that I was finally going to have the axle done. I'm still going to get everything setup and done since I was going to have to pull the locker back out to press the bearings on once I was done. I just won't do that until I have the tabs.

This waiting shit just bugs me. And I feel your pain.

Reactions: Alex01 and reddvltj
Well DAMN I guess my welds weren't as good as I'd thought they were on my exhaust pipe. The ceramic coating shop called a little while ago and said that they'd gotten it coated and then were looking at the pipes to inspect them and happen to hold them up to a light just the RIGHT way.
He said they found between 5-10 spots I'd missed. Now I'd tried the same thing but what I think happened was that when they blasted the stuff out of the inside that flux paste I'd put on came loose and then these pin holes showed up. So they are going to weld it up for me and then recoat it. It's all a learning process. I'd tried to think of a simple way to pressure test the pipes before I'd taken them over there and couldn't come up with something "SIMPLE". And the guy told me I'd taken on one HELL of a task trying to make that custom exhaust like I had. So I don't feel REAL bad.

Well DAMN I guess my welds weren't as good as I'd thought they were on my exhaust pipe. The ceramic coating shop called a little while ago and said that they'd gotten it coated and then were looking at the pipes to inspect them and happen to hold them up to a light just the RIGHT way.
He said they found between 5-10 spots I'd missed. Now I'd tried the same thing but what I think happened was that when they blasted the stuff out of the inside that flux paste I'd put on came loose and then these pin holes showed up. So they are going to weld it up for me and then recoat it. It's all a learning process. I'd tried to think of a simple way to pressure test the pipes before I'd taken them over there and couldn't come up with something "SIMPLE". And the guy told me I'd taken on one HELL of a task trying to make that custom exhaust like I had. So I don't feel REAL bad.
Shit if you knew that, you could have brought it to them all tacked up for them to finish....Now they tell you!

Well the difference between a Dana 60 and Super60 R&P keeps 🙄 showing its ugly head.

The shoulder on the two pinion shafts is WAY different. The Super60 is on the left.

20220119_121619.jpg

20220119_121846.jpg

20220119_121947.jpg

And so I can be more like the cool kids I'll ask instead of telling.
Why does this matter? What does it affect?

Yep
“Kool” Kids as in Kool Aid!

So the easy answer is... The Super60 is designed for a crush sleeve instead of shims. So all it takes is a crush sleeve eliminator kit. Doesn't stop me from finishing setting up the gears but it just means I'm waiting on more parts.

Sounds like two big problems with decent solutions. Can’t complain too much about that.

Curious if you don’t mind - what is the coater charging you to do the welding?

Reactions: reddvltj
Sounds like two big problems with decent solutions. Can’t complain too much about that.

Curious if you don’t mind - what is the coater charging you to do the welding?

He said $90 an hour and figured it was less than an hour to fix all my missed spots.