Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

Started to drill out the case spreader this morning but had to stop and take a break. My socket isn't fitting correctly today but I'd really overdone it yesterday so I'm hoping that is all it is.

Center punched first.

20220127_124351.jpg

1/2 hole to start.

20220127_124342.jpg

Then out to 9/16" and then the big jump to 13/16". Dang that is a big drill bit.

20220127_131554.jpg

One battery charge per hole drilled. And my air drill is not wanting to work today.

• Sad
Reactions: reddvltj
First arm done....

20220127_160331.jpg

20220127_160337.jpg

20220127_160708.jpg

20220127_162143.jpg

20220127_162150.jpg

It's hard to explain to a non-amputee person but for some reason my leg is swelling up inside the socket. Most times I can take the socket off for 10-15 minutes and then it's good for the rest of the day.
But today it's not helping. I'm hurting again and will have to take my leg off as I try to drill out this other arm.

Reactions: JMT and reddvltj
So very sorry to hear about your leg. You are going to have one Super nice Jeep. I wish I knew how to do all that work. Thankyou for your service and take care. Sounds like life was against you, it will get a lot better. You look like a Head strong man so hang in there buddy.

Reactions: Wildman
Which leg is missing? Your right or left?

Lower right leg. I'll have to dig out my smaller/thinner liners and wear them with socks tomorrow instead of the thick liner I'm wearing now.

So very sorry to hear about your leg. You are going to have one Super nice Jeep. I wish I knew how to do all that work. Thankyou for your service and take care. Sounds like life was against you, it will get a lot better. You look like a Head strong man so hang in there buddy.

It's all part of life. But you have to deal with the things it throws at you.

That axle truss looks BEEFY back there. Sweet twofer wrench also never seen anything like it

It's a Barnes 4WD Dana 60 truss. It's part of a Gear Wrench tap & die set I'd bought.

Both arms are done and I'll work on the axle more tomorrow. I'm done for the day. Part of the study I was at the VA for yesterday required me to walk for 30 minutes at a brisk pace 4 different times with a 30 minute break in-between each test. They were monitoring how much I was sweating in the socket. So I'm sure my leg is just reacting to all the unusual exercise.

Lower right leg. I'll have to dig out my smaller/thinner liners and wear them with socks tomorrow instead of the thick liner I'm wearing now.

It's all part of life. But you have to deal with the things it throws at you.

It's a Barnes 4WD Dana 60 truss. It's part of a Gear Wrench tap & die set I'd bought.

Both arms are done and I'll work on the axle more tomorrow. I'm done for the day. Part of the study I was at the VA for yesterday required me to walk for 30 minutes at a brisk pace 4 different times with a 30 minute break in-between each test. They were monitoring how much I was sweating in the socket. So I'm sure my leg is just reacting to all the unusual exercise.
I was just about to ask if you had a drastic change in diet or health in the last few days... More exercise would definitely be a good reason it's angry with you!!

I was just about to ask if you had a drastic change in diet or health in the last few days... More exercise would definitely be a good reason it's angry with you!!

Well I'm on it everyday when I'm in the garage working but yes I'm sore today from all the walking. Fluctuation in limb size is normal for newer amputees but once your limb has what they call matured (over 18 months since amputation) it isn't normal for a lot of fluctuation after that. Just frustrating and it FUCKING HURTS.... Yes I'm being a whiney ass.

The best example I can give you on how it feels is it's like when you wrap a rubber band around your finger and leave it on there. But this is my whole lower leg, Or what's left of it. And it's stuff inside a carbon fiber thing you wear. So when it swells there isn't any room for it to go. Like I said it's hard to explain.

Well I'm on it everyday when I'm in the garage working but yes I'm sore today from all the walking. Fluctuation in limb size is normal for newer amputees but once your limb has what they call matured (over 18 months since amputation) it isn't normal for a lot of fluctuation after that. Just frustrating and it FUCKING HURTS.... Yes I'm being a whiney ass.

The best example I can give you on how it feels is it's like when you wrap a rubber band around your finger and leave it on there. But this is my whole lower leg, Or what's left of it. And it's stuff inside a carbon fiber thing you wear. So when it swells there isn't any room for it to go. Like I said it's hard to explain.
I some what get it, I had a cast that I made "removeable" when I broke a metacarpal bone in my right hand. I would take it off to shower and write and sometimes when I went to put it back on, my hand had swollen and it hurt like hell until the swelling went down.

Hopefully a good nights rest will get you closer to being back to normal...

Reactions: Wildman
Do you drive with your left foot or use a hand throttle?

I use my right leg for the accelerator pedal and brake with my left foot.

So I am actually driving with my right thigh. So unless I'm in town I use cruise control A LOT. I'm still not sure how I'm going to drive my Jeep. My Ram truck has a stiff accelerator pedal so I can feel the resistance of it but I'm not sure yet what I'll end up doing in the Jeep. The 6 pack seems to have a stiffer return spring also but I've not hooked it up yet so time will tell.

If I have to I'll get a left foot accelerator adapter to is removeable for the Jeep.

I some what get it, I had a cast that I made "removeable" when I broke a metacarpal bone in my right hand. I would take it off to shower and write and sometimes when I went to put it back on, my hand had swollen and it hurt like hell until the swelling went down.

Hopefully a good nights rest will get you closer to being back to normal...

I can go back to my thinner liners I just put them all away because my leg had shrank so I was wearing my thinker liners. So if it doesn't fit tomorrow with the thicker ones I'll just use the tinner ones and more socks.

I use my right leg for the accelerator pedal and brake with my left foot.

So I am actually driving with my right thigh. So unless I'm in town I use cruise control A LOT. I'm still not sure how I'm going to drive my Jeep. My Ram truck has a stiff accelerator pedal so I can feel the resistance of it but I'm not sure yet what I'll end up doing in the Jeep. The 6 pack seems to have a stiffer return spring also but I've not hooked it up yet so time will tell.
I find myself using the hand throttle in the Jeep a lot around town and on the highway I use cruise control in my other vehicles every chance I get .

I find myself using the hand throttle in the Jeep a lot around town and on the highway I use cruise control in my other vehicles every chance I get .

I tried the TeraFlex thumb throttle before and didn't like it but I plan to try one again and see if I like it now. I'm worried that being out on the trail all day and moving my leg up and down will be too much.
Plus I've got to have a stiff accelerator pedal to be able to feel it. When I'd driven my daughters old TJ or er Subaru I have a hard time with it because they had a light accelerator pedal.

Got the new bearings pressed on to the carrier.

20220128_045633.jpg

I SWEAR this axle does NOT want to go back together. And yes I'll be the first to admit that a lot of the issues and hold ups have been my screwups. And this is another of those FUCK UPS just from a lack of not doing this often and then also working on a 18 year old locker. I've tried to search for install directions for this model of locker and had no luck. And yes I should have emailed ARB but haven't YET.

So I start to look at things for installing the carrier and notice that the race on the ARB side is smaller than the one on the other side. So now I'll have to order it and wait for it to get here. Guess it's the axles way of telling me I should give my leg a break for a few days.

New races on the left and old on the right.

20220128_050115.jpg

Here is the difference between the two.

20220128_050130.jpg

bearing & race is different or just the race?
is the wider cup contacting something and not allowing the cone to seat?

is this the same diff you showed those patterns for?
now your changing bearings on the carrier? i wouldn't expect anything new to fit like anything old, even using set up bearings is not exact every time.

and by carrier preload you mean what? right to left effecting BL or it's just tight as hell? cause i read you really cant get "to much" preload on carrier bearings. mines a MF'r to get in and out.