Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

angles, shmangles.....you can do 20* 45* or 60* and none will look any worse than another it's just how uniform the pair is to each other.

Reactions: reddvltj
angles, shmangles.....you can do 20* 45* or 60* and none will look any worse than another it's just how uniform the pair is to each other.
Yep, they all cleaned up pretty good. I had one point where the guide roller fell off and the bit clogged up but it's all good. I have no issues with installing them on my rig.

Something I should point out to others that might be reading this thread at some point. A LOT of the things I'm doing here I've never done before. Like using a router, this was my first time doing this so I made mistakes. If you're working on your rig and it's new don't be afraid to attempt it. Yes ask questions and watch videos on How To Do what you're going to attempt but don't let the fact that you've never done it before stop you. And yes you might make some mistakes or screw stuff up but most times it can be fixed. And I'm no fabricator or even close so I try to ask questions and see how others have tackled a problem.

Last edited:
Yep, they all cleaned up pretty good. I had one point where the guide roller fell off and the bit clogged up but it's all good. I have no issues with installing them on my rig.
eastwood has some cool flapper wheels for the aluminum. not near as rough as a sanding disk, just a few pieces of scratch paper with scotch brite between........work real good for light scratch work on any raw aluminum.

282440783_583668102956284_8952386628757623651_n.jpg

282185192_457860049439555_5478391466136266405_n.jpg

probably on amazon too.

eastwood has some cool flapper wheels for the aluminum. not near as rough as a sanding disk, just a few pieces of scratch paper with scotch brite between........work real good for light scratch work on any raw aluminum.

View attachment 332862

View attachment 332863

probably on amazon too.
I used some 2" scotch brite pad to clean them up with my die grinder. And then some paint should help to cover up my little bobo's.

Something I should point out to others that might be reading this thread at some point. A LOT of the things I'm doing here I've never done before. Like using a router, this was my first time doing this so I made mistakes. If you're working on your rig and it's new don't be afraid to attempt it. Yes ask questions and watch videos on How To Do what you're going to attempt but don't let the fact that you've never done it before stop you. And yes you might make some mistakes or screw stuff up but most times it can be fixed. And I'm no fabricator or even close so I try to ask questions and see how others have tackled a problem.
i'd like to have a router or router table. i cut my UHMW rails on the chop saw and eyeballed the copes, but the details are just so inconspicuous on them. if i had 1 i mighta tried runnin it around my rear well cuts and round those over real nice, but i just took the burrs off and left them square cut edges.

in the end it's what you're satisfied with......could put another couple hrs into them and have a glass finish, for them only to be gouged on the 1st rock they meet.

Had an appointment with my prosthesis this morning to pickup a new prosthetic foot. Since I was already in town I stopped by the metal shop and picked up the metal for the lower area below the tailgate. The plan is to use a 3' piece to fill in the area and then a 4' piece over that to tie in the two corner armor.

20220526_132354.jpg

I cleaned up the flat stock and then got busy mocking up the reverse lights. Got it measured out where I wanted to mount the lights first.

20220526_151037.jpg

Then I cut the holes into the filler piece first.

20220526_162927.jpg

Now I'll transfer this to the tie in piece and get it cut.

20220526_162934.jpg

Once that is done I'll transfer it to the back of the Jeep and cut the holes there. I've also got to drill the mounting holes for the bolts.

Got all the holes transferred to the longer piece and then cut out the hole for the lights and drilled the bolt holes.

20220526_172015.jpg

20220526_172027.jpg

Tomorrow I'll do the tub of the Jeep and test fit everything. And I'll get the hole in the back of the torque box drilled for the wiring. It'll be nice to actually have backup lights again.

20220526_183747.jpg

Right now the forecast has Tuesday and Wednesday being warmer than 70⁰. So I'm hoping to being able to get the frame painted those days. I'll also get the armor primered but won't try spraying body colors yet.

Right now the forecast has Tuesday and Wednesday being warmer than 70⁰. So I'm hoping to being able to get the frame painted those days. I'll also get the armor primered but won't try spraying body colors yet.
We had snow falling Saturday and Sunday 60s on Monday 70s Tuesday and 80s today... Well be back to 60 and 50s by Saturday... :rolleyes: Mother Nature is being a tad schizophrenic this spring!

Yesterday I started on the back of the Jeep to get the backup lights installed. First, I set the filler piece in to mark for the bolt holes and backup light holes.

20220527_145728.jpg

Test fit

20220527_170018.jpg

I've got to install the nutzerts for the light bolts and then hang the corners and drill the tie in holes and this project will be done.

Not the best picture as I couldn't open up the doors because it was nasty weather out. Put the corners back on and then marked where the holes needed to go.

20220528_163530.jpg

Got the holes drilled out and the nutzerts installed. Now to drill out the holes for the Metal Cloak corners that take nutzerts and get them all installed. Then clean the garage again and get ready for painting as long as it warms up Tuesday like they say it's going to.

20220528_170830.jpg

Monday I'm taking my daughter to the Monster Truck show in Yakima so I won't get any work done on the Jeep.

Weather is supposed to be in the upper 70's today so I've been getting things ready for painting. I've almost got everything covered and the Jeep is taped up. Now just get to wait for it to warm up.

20220601_081920.jpg

20220601_081926.jpg

It's only 55⁰ right now so I'm guessing it will be noon before I see 70⁰. I'll turn the heaters on for tonight also.

No joy yet. It's only 62⁰ right now and I've got the doors open trying to get the heat inside the garage.
Might have to close the doors and turn on the heaters.

Im not a pro painter, but I'd say heat up the paint in some hot water or in front of heater and send it, times ticking, it'll start getting cooler again in like 4 hours!

Im not a pro painter, but I'd say heat up the paint in some hot water or in front of heater and send it, times ticking, it'll start getting cooler again in like 4 hours!

I think it's more to do with the metal being warm enough. And then it has to cure for it to adhere properly. Most years it's in the 80's by now.