Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

@RangerRick
Can I pick your brain a little please? I'm getting a fault code for my transmission & haven't figured it out yet. Don't know if you've been following along but I've been having a HECK of a time with my engine and the 6 pack intake manifold.

So I keep getting the P0753 code.

20221125_175818.jpg

At one point I had the code cleared & thought I had it fixed but then it came back.

20221206_233427.jpg

My SWAG is that because the transmission has been sitting for 7-8 years after being rebuilt things are sticky inside and this code might clear once I've driven it a little bit.
Now I've checked all the wiring going to the transmission plug and that all is good.

• Sad
Reactions: JMT
When I first fired my Jeep up here a few weeks ago I got a few codes. I cleared them a few times and then they stayed away. Then on the first test drive the Jeep was having idle problems and stumbling and even died when I would come to a stop. I thought what is the world is causing these issues. A few little road trips and honestly every thing just started working properly on there own. I didn't do anything to it to fix the issues it was having. My first road trip was cut short due to my exhaust coming apart, and the second was a power steering pump issue. The PCM must have fixed the idle and stumbling issues and the shifting. In fact, right before my transmission failed it was shifting normally.

After tearing down the entire transmission I found an oiling issue. The reverse sprag clutch cage melted from heat due to lack of oil. The roller bearings wedged themselves into the reverse drum locking out forward input but it worked in reverse. I have some pics I will post on my build thread tomorrow.

If it were me I would drive on putting it back together and get it drivable. From what I remember the PCM goes through cycles, for lack of better terms, every 15 minutes or after the first 15 minutes of driving. Either way its a cycle and that is how the PCM learns.

@RangerRick
Can I pick your brain a little please? I'm getting a fault code for my transmission & haven't figured it out yet. Don't know if you've been following along but I've been having a HECK of a time with my engine and the 6 pack intake manifold.

So I keep getting the P0753 code.

View attachment 402644

At one point I had the code cleared & thought I had it fixed but then it came back.

View attachment 402645

My SWAG is that because the transmission has been sitting for 7-8 years after being rebuilt things are sticky inside and this code might clear once I've driven it a little bit.
Now I've checked all the wiring going to the transmission plug and that all is good.

Gosh, I haven’t seen @RangerRick on here in a long time. He is crazy though! Built so many rigs. Insane. I remember this one he got, flame red I believe, totally trashed by some kids. He was turning that one around. I wonder what it looks like today!?

Reactions: RangerRick
Thanks @JMT for the nice comments!

I am still around but my 3 kids take most of my time these days.

All but one of the 12 Jeeps I have owned over the years are gone.

We are still working on the Cummins Turbo Diesel CJ-7 conversion and restoration project as of late.

Trying to get it on the trail to do some wheeling this summer with the family. It's the Jeep I've owned by far the longest in history and she needed a lotta lovin' tender care after sitting for more than 16 years in storage. At almost 40, she's getting the complete salon/spa treatment inside-out makeover. The Cummins will be the 5th engine since brand new.

Yes I turned "Red Headed Stepchild" around and sold it shortly after it was finished and driving.

From what I've been told, her new owner took it even further with a complete long arm and the rear has been tube buggy converted on big King coilovers. Last he was asking if the 46RE transmission would hold up to supercharged HP. Don't know if he actually followed through with supercharging it.

I'll have to ask the buyer if he has any recent pictures of his wheeling escapades he can share. I told him about this forum but he never joined it, don't know why? It would be sweet to see the pics today.

RR

When I first fired my Jeep up here a few weeks ago I got a few codes. I cleared them a few times and then they stayed away. Then on the first test drive the Jeep was having idle problems and stumbling and even died when I would come to a stop. I thought what is the world is causing these issues. A few little road trips and honestly every thing just started working properly on there own. I didn't do anything to it to fix the issues it was having. My first road trip was cut short due to my exhaust coming apart, and the second was a power steering pump issue. The PCM must have fixed the idle and stumbling issues and the shifting. In fact, right before my transmission failed it was shifting normally.

After tearing down the entire transmission I found an oiling issue. The reverse sprag clutch cage melted from heat due to lack of oil. The roller bearings wedged themselves into the reverse drum locking out forward input but it worked in reverse. I have some pics I will post on my build thread tomorrow.

If it were me I would drive on putting it back together and get it drivable. From what I remember the PCM goes through cycles, for lack of better terms, every 15 minutes or after the first 15 minutes of driving. Either way its a cycle and that is how the PCM learns.

Thanks, I agree that sometimes things just seem to fix themselves. I've been obsessing about this engine and wanting to know it's all good before I moved on. It was a HUGE deal for me since it's my first performance engine build and having the head gasket blow just messed with me.
I'll start getting the rest of the Jeep together and once it's drivable I can address issues then.

Look forward to seeing the pictures of your transmission.

Reactions: reddvltj
Started working on some more of the wiring and trying to figure stuff out. @NashvilleTJ don't you have a AEM wide band O2 gauge on your Jeep? If you do how do you get the signal from it to data log? The one I have has 2 wires with one being a 5V & the other serial signal but they are just bare wires.

I got the wiring for the transmission temp gauge & the wide band O2 gauge wiring fed thru the firewall. I'll work on getting stuff hooked up tomorrow. I've got to repair the wiring for the front passenger height sensor that had touched the exhaust still. Then I've got to run the power cable for the AiRock & dual battery switch thru some new loom from the drivers side to the passenger side to hook up to the battery.

Next will be to get the electric fan & coolant temperature sensor hooked up. As I'm doing this I've got to also start wiring in all the switches on the dash wired and the wires ran to each of those circuits. I've bought a TON of different colored wire to help with this & I'll use my label maker to also make labels for the wiries as I go. Should help with any future repairs if needed.

Started working on some more of the wiring and trying to figure stuff out. @NashvilleTJ don't you have a AEM wide band O2 gauge on your Jeep? If you do how do you get the signal from it to data log? The one I have has 2 wires with one being a 5V & the other serial signal but they are just bare wires.

I got the wiring for the transmission temp gauge & the wide band O2 gauge wiring fed thru the firewall. I'll work on getting stuff hooked up tomorrow. I've got to repair the wiring for the front passenger height sensor that had touched the exhaust still. Then I've got to run the power cable for the AiRock & dual battery switch thru some new loom from the drivers side to the passenger side to hook up to the battery.

Next will be to get the electric fan & coolant temperature sensor hooked up. As I'm doing this I've got to also start wiring in all the switches on the dash wired and the wires ran to each of those circuits. I've bought a TON of different colored wire to help with this & I'll use my label maker to also make labels for the wiries as I go. Should help with any future repairs if needed.

HP Tuners gets the data from a connection from the AEM gauge to the HP Tuners ODB2 dongle via a USB-C cable if memory serve. You then have to map the PID in the HP Scanners software. If you are talking to Flyin’ Ryan about the tune, he can give you the detail. That’s how I learned to set it up - but it’s been a while now.

HP Tuners gets the data from a connection from the AEM gauge to the HP Tuners ODB2 dongle via a USB-C cable if memory serve. You then have to map the PID in the HP Scanners software. If you are talking to Flyin’ Ryan about the tune, he can give you the detail. That’s how I learned to set it up - but it’s been a while now.

OK I'll have to go back and look at my gauge as I don't remember a place to hook up a USB-C cable.

OK I'll have to go back and look at my gauge as I don't remember a place to hook up a USB-C cable.

IIRC the usb connection is on the dongle side - it may be a proprietary HP Tuners connector. I think on the gauge side there is a proprietary connector with wires that must be wired the the dongle connector. I’m working from memory because I’m not where I can check.

Reactions: Wildman
Thanks @JMT for the nice comments!

I am still around but my 3 kids take most of my time these days.

All but one of the 12 Jeeps I have owned over the years are gone.

We are still working on the Cummins Turbo Diesel CJ-7 conversion and restoration project as of late.

Trying to get it on the trail to do some wheeling this summer with the family. It's the Jeep I've owned by far the longest in history and she needed a lotta lovin' tender care after sitting for more than 16 years in storage. At almost 40, she's getting the complete salon/spa treatment inside-out makeover. The Cummins will be the 5th engine since brand new.

Yes I turned "Red Headed Stepchild" around and sold it shortly after it was finished and driving.

From what I've been told, her new owner took it even further with a complete long arm and the rear has been tube buggy converted on big King coilovers. Last he was asking if the 46RE transmission would hold up to supercharged HP. Don't know if he actually followed through with supercharging it.

I'll have to ask the buyer if he has any recent pictures of his wheeling escapades he can share. I told him about this forum but he never joined it, don't know why? It would be sweet to see the pics today.

RR

Red Headed Stepchild! That’s the one. Amazing to hear you are down to 1 Jeep. Sounds like a darlin’ however. Great project! You’ll have more in the future, especially when your 3 kids get toward driving age. Maybe they will pick up the craft from you and forge good times. Thanks for the update.

Red, White and Blue nowadays. My twin sons are the Blue and White. One took to it and the other is not too interested.

DE41FDA1-A178-4C9B-A905-1A6395C8CC9F.jpeg

IIRC the usb connection is on the dongle side - it may be a proprietary HP Tuners connector. I think on the gauge side there is a proprietary connector with wires that must be wired the the dongle connector. I’m working from memory because I’m not where I can check.

This is the gauge that have not knowing WHAT I should buy when I did.

https://www.aemelectronics.com/prod...ego-afr-gauge/digital-wideband-uego-afr-gauge

They of course now have this one with the integrated OBDII connector.

https://www.aemelectronics.com/products/gauges/digital-gauges/x-series-wideband-uego-OBDII

I'll talk with Ryan about it plus I'll go look at the HPT site and see what it shows. Be really nice if it's just a simple plug I can buy that is wired to plug into the dongle.

OK this looks to be fairly simple...

https://www.hptuners.com/product/pro_link/

I need this and then it plugs into the side of the HPT dongle & it will then read the signal from the wide band O2 gauge. Of course I've still got to figure out how to make all this work but I think I can do this. Also appears I have to buy an added feature to my MPV2 but that is fine also. Will talk to Ryan on Monday about it and hopefully get this figured out.

Was getting done with my second cup of coffee this morning when I got a call... This showed up today.

The battery in my old Harley was DEAD. I think it froze when the temps here had hit 0* for a few days so I had to install a new battery on my old bike.

20230225_140220.jpg

In all it's beauty

20230225_140229.jpg

Now I just need the weather to get above freezing for a few days so I can go ride this thing.

Dang Nab I'd forgotten I'd bought this a year ago... This is a box for data logging that works alone without the HPT dongle or anything else. I hook the two wires from my Wide Band O2 gauge onto the terminals & install a program onto my laptop and connect it to the OBDII port & usb port on the computer and we're golden. I can data log for as long as I want or need. So no need to have to spend any more money on stuff from HPT.

20220404_101010.jpg

One less thing I have to worry about.

I was thinking I'd mount the transmission temperature gauge and the wide band O2 gauge on the roll bar when I realized that I still hadn't painted it.

20230227_161454.jpg

20230227_161503.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: JMT and reddvltj
Before getting stuff ready for paint I'd repaired the AiRock wiring harness that had been scorched when it laid on the exhaust. I'd cut out the small area of wiring that was bad and connected the wires back together using butt connectors.

20230227_142102.jpg

20230227_142110.jpg

Then I put heat shrink tubing over the spliced area.

20230227_142704.jpg

I ran the wires back over to the front right where the height sensor will be located and zip tied it to the negative battery cable to keep it off the exhaust.

I got the V-bars painted up.

20230227_165359.jpg

20230227_165405.jpg

20230227_165441.jpg

Then once the paint had dried I got the gauges mounted up.

20230227_183200.jpg

Transmission temperature gauge is on the left & wide band O2 is on the right.

20230227_183218.jpg

And then above my head are the 3 gauges for air pressures.

1) Main air pressure
2) ARB air pressure
3) AiRock air pressure

Why you might ask? Well this way I can monitor each individual system and know if there is a problem in any one of them by looking at the gauges.

20230227_183222.jpg

I used Viair gauges because they could be outfitted with a light. I'll run the wires & hoses in a few days for these gauges.

Last edited:
I took a chance that my leg was healed enough I could work today but tried to limit how much I was standing on my right leg also. I worked on the wiring today and got a good start on getting things placed and got a few things hooked up.
I got the 7 circuit fuse panel mounted on the kick panel under the left side of the dash.

20230301_160006.jpg

It's a mess under the dash right now until I get all the circuits ran and wires routed the way I want. But it's a start for now.

20230301_160012.jpg

Then I got the wires ran for the lights for the air pressure gauges. I've got to pull the light on the right gauge and see if I can figure out why it's not as bright as the other two.

20230301_133436.jpg

20230301_151721.jpg

It was nice to see the wide band O2 & transmission temperature gauges light up. And for a correction the O2 is on the left & transmission temperature on the right.

20230301_153637.jpg

I'll work on more of the wiring tomorrow and see how far I can get. Part of this is as I've been doing this I'm having to remove old wiring that I'd done before that wasn't very well done. Plus I've got wires under the dash I can't remember what I had them there for. So it's just easier to start over and try to do a better job this time.

OK all I've got me a question I'm hoping some of you can help out with. I'm just about ready to install the armor on my tub but before I do I'd like to clean the tub up a little and try to refresh the paint? I'm not really sure what the correct term would be but instead of just slapping the armor on over the tub the way it is I thought I should try to buff it out some. Just not sure how or what to do.

I've got these buffing pads from HF in medium, fine & coarse but not sure what type of rubbing compound or other type of stuff I should use.

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-medium-foam-polishing-pad-green-56547.html

56547_W3.jpg