Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

Ryan said he could get a Wilson on Amazon. And it was similar to the one I got.

I know the HF one isn't a heavy duty vise but it won't see a lot of heavy work. And if I sell this place soon I'd hate to leave a nice vise here.

$419 when I bought mine on Amazon. USA made at the time and I believe they still are even though that link I had above says Taiwan.

Wilton 63200/1755 Tradesman Vise https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004XPVH/?tag=wranglerorg-20

$419 when I bought mine on Amazon. USA made at the time and I believe they still are even though that link I had above says Taiwan.

Wilton 63200/1755 Tradesman Vise https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004XPVH/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Did you LOOK at the price NOW??? $1,300. No FUCKING WAY..... Maybe if I used it everyday and it was for my job.

Yep every one of them I looked at said it was made in Taiwan.

Like I said if I break this HF vise no BFD as it wasn't super expensive. And I won't be using maybe once or twice a week at most.

Did you LOOK at the price NOW??? $1,300. No FUCKING WAY..... Maybe if I used it everyday and it was for my job.

Yep every one of them I looked at said it was made in Taiwan.

Like I said if I break this HF vise no BFD as it wasn't super expensive. And I won't be using maybe once or twice a week at most.

Looks like they changed production to Taiwan in 2019. That’s disappointing.

• Sad
Reactions: lBasket and Wildman
Looks like they changed production to Taiwan in 2019. That’s disappointing.

Looks like only 2 versions are now made in the USA.

1684806900434.png

Do they still make bench vises? I can get a new Wilton bullet on Amazon.
I keep watching FB for someone who is selling one that doesn't know what they have. I have a 4" Columbia from my Grampa that serves me well, but after using a Wilton Machinist a few times, they really spoil you. The 4" works for 90% of what I need it to, but having a 6 or 8 inch vise around would be tits.

I keep watching FB for someone who is selling one that doesn't know what they have. I have a 4" Columbia from my Grampa that serves me well, but after using a Wilton Machinist a few times, they really spoil you. The 4" works for 90% of what I need it to, but having a 6 or 8 inch vise around would be tits.

Yep that is what I was doing along with watching the local Buy/Sell groups and either they were trashed or they knew what they worth.

This HF vice will work for what I'm doing.

Ryan said he could get a Wilson on Amazon. And it was similar to the one I got.

I know the HF one isn't a heavy duty vise but it won't see a lot of heavy work. And if I sell this place soon I'd hate to leave a nice vise here.

My point was they more or less take the HF vice and slap the Wilton name and price on it.

I'm awful sick of the major brand name sourcing in china. Timken is one. #50 chain bought last fall used to be made in the usa. This spring China. Product doesn't even look similar.
Vote with your dollars....

My point was they more or less take the HF vice and slap the Wilton name and price on it.

I'm awful sick of the major brand name sourcing in china. Timken is one. #50 chain bought last fall used to be made in the usa. This spring China. Product doesn't even look similar.
Vote with your dollars....

Yes it's a shame we've come to this. It's even more a shame that a Built in the USA carries such a high premium price wise. I'd rather buy stuff made here but there is a limit too.

This is a view I haven't seen for a long while. This is sitting in the drivers seat.

20230523_134648.jpg

People had asked about the clearance around the seat and the GR center console.

20230523_134658.jpg

20230523_135129.jpg

I needed to install the drivers seat to figure out where to mount the ball valve. This is going to be the parking brake.

My first thought was to install it in the floorboard. But that doesn't work with my prosthetic on the right side. So then I was looking here.

20230523_135200.jpg

But after sitting in the seat I decided I wanted to mount it a little higher.

20230523_135734.jpg

Now to just get it all plumbed in.

The really hard part is getting around all the other CRAP I've got under the Jeep and getting the lines where I need them.
After spending a while looking I'm considering getting flexible lines to do this. I'll have to get a good measurement for length and then go from there.

This valve is a surface mount setup so my thoughts are that I'll need a hole the rotating stop can fit into?

20230523_162436.jpg

The handle fits on top. It's 1.25" as close as I can figure.

Reactions: RINC and reddvltj
Got the ball valve mounted temporarily until the hoses arrive.

The handle can be moved 33⁰ off center. So I came up with this position as what I liked best.

This is the Open position.

20230523_172207.jpg

And then the closed position which would be brakes set.

20230523_172213.jpg

This is open with the handle inline with the valve.

20230523_172253.jpg

And closed

20230523_172300.jpg

With the handle off just to show what it looks like.

Open

20230523_172351.jpg

Closed

20230523_172336.jpg

I did try it with the handle moved towards the dash but it would have hit it once the overlay way installed.

I'd decided to try and repurpose the old XM tuner and line input bracket I'd made before. It was welded on the crossbar so I'd have to cut it off if I couldn't use it.
I have a Lowrance GPS that used to be mounted to the top bar of the cage. But the V bars are in that spot now.

I drilled holes for the mounting bracket and installed nutzerts.

20230525_110514.jpg

The GPS bracket fits great.

20230525_110907.jpg

The Insane Audio stereo I have already has GPS but this will give me a stand alone unit. I might upgrade to the type @NashvilleTJ has someday too 🤔. But this will work for now.

20230525_110955.jpg

I admire your work. Wish I had the shop and the determination. Your tweeter mount, which I am seeing the first time gives me some ideas. My cage isn't like that, but still gives me ideas.

Reactions: Wildman
I admire your work. Wish I had the shop and the determination. Your tweeter mount, which I am seeing the first time gives me some ideas. My cage isn't like that, but still gives me ideas.

Thanks. There are days where I'm ready to throw in the towel 🤪. Things just seem to fight me every time I do something.
I spent a long time without a garage to work in. So I understand.

Performance Coating just called and said my parts are ready for pickup. I've got a doctors appointment on Tuesday so will most likely go over on Wednesday to pick everything up.
Being a long weekend I am not going to go over to the westside today (Friday) and then have to deal with the traffic coming back. Would have been nice to have the exhaust parts here for the weekend but it's not worth the frustration.

Been trying to get little things accomplished while I'm waiting for the exhaust.
Yesterday I'd started hooking up the transfer case shifter. Now doing a single cable shifter I'm sure is frustrating and doing a dual cable shifter that much more frustrating. 🙃
Doing a triple cable shifter is just about enough to put you in the funny house.
And what makes it even more difficult is dealing with a gear driven t-case.

I played with it enough to finally get the low range selector to pop into neutral. This gives me a reference for where the front and rear shifters sit.

Per the instructions I started with all three shifters in either all the way one direction.

But then I needed to be able to shift them to check the adjustment. But for those who know gear driven t-cases it needs to be slightly spinning to make it shift. And since I'm not able to run the engine the other option was to spin the driveshaft.

Here's what I have so far. Once I have a second pair of hands I'll be able to shift the front and rear shifters. This is with the low range selector in neutral.

20230526_121320.jpg

20230526_121334.jpg

Wow tons of FUN.... I hope it's easier to shift once it's spinning. Been too long for me to remember. I do remember it being hard sometimes but not like this.

Got all three in neutral. Got to make some adjustments on the front axle shifter.

20230526_160450.jpg

20230526_160501.jpg

Once I get it adjusted I'll play with it some more and see how it does.