Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

Wildman

Over Analyzer Extraordinaire...............
Staff Member
Supporting Member
IMG_2747.jpg

This is what it looked like right before it was parked 8 years ago. The 5.2 Dodge magnum V-8 I had swapped into it was having overheating issues. So I had planned to either rebuilt the current engine or find another to rebuild. Well I came across a 5.9 from a Durango for cheap and bought it. I was almost done doing a cheap rebuild when I came across a fellow Ram owner who wanted to trade a stroked 5.9 for a stock 5.9. So after a little haggling we came to a deal. We traded short blocks. His engine had about 10K miles on it so I decided to tare the engine down and clean it up and reseal it. Of course things always happen you do things like that. I dropped the number 2 piston and broke a skirt off it.

About this time I was going thru a divorce so funds dried up for any Jeep repairs. Once I got back on my feet, so to speak I was having health issues that was limiting my ability to work out in my garage. So this past spring I took measures to make myself better. I had been wounded in Iraq back in 2004 when I was shot in the right thigh. The avatar is my femur. In May 2018 I had my lower right leg amputated to try and get rid of the sever pain I was in. Most doctors wouldn't do this surgery because there isn't any guaranty it will help.

My current socket that I designed the wrap for.

So plans for this facelift is to remove the Nth Degree longarm suspension, stretch the rear 5-10" and the front 2". To do the amount of stretch in the rear I am wanting to do I am thinking about lengthening my tub by about 5-6". I currently have a GenRight 24 gal fuel tank so that has to go and I'll be getting one of their stretch tanks. I'm going to 3 link the front and 4 link the rear while doing all this.
Then I'm going to install aluminum front highline fenders and rear corners. All my old parts will be handed down to my daughters 2002 TJ Sport. So no parts will be wasted or neglected.

Don't expect anything right away as I have to wait for the weather to warm up and the snow to melt. But as it gets warmer and funds permit I will be ordering parts.

Last edited:
I look forward to checking out your build! @pcoplin has done something similar to his TJ and it's a beast. Not sure what he uses for a fuel tank on his.

I'm curious as to why that guy with the 5.9 stroker would want to swap it for a stock one? That seems a bit backwards, no?

As to the injury, am I understanding correctly that you were having incurable pain, which is why you had your leg amputated? After the amputation, do you still have the pain, or is it gone entirely?

Do the doctors know what the reason was for the chronic pain that you were having?

Sorry for all the off-topic / medical related questions, I'm just curious since it's a very interesting story you have.

Sounds like a heck of a project. Best of luck with all of it. Also glad to know that no parts will be injured in the filming of this upgrade :D

Thank you for your service to our great country! I truly hope that the recent medical changes have aided you. Oh and, bitchin' wrap on that socket!

I will keep an eye out. Well have to meet up and do a run when you are completed. God bless and may you completely heal. Thank you for your service.

Reactions: Pullski
Wow looks like an epic build but it sounds like you used to over coming obstacles...looking forward to seeing this TJ coming to life and getting you back behind the wheel again

Reactions: Wildman
I look forward to checking out your build! @pcoplin has done something similar to his TJ and it's a beast. Not sure what he uses for a fuel tank on his.

I'm curious as to why that guy with the 5.9 stroker would want to swap it for a stock one? That seems a bit backwards, no?

As to the injury, am I understanding correctly that you were having incurable pain, which is why you had your leg amputated? After the amputation, do you still have the pain, or is it gone entirely?

Do the doctors know what the reason was for the chronic pain that you were having?

Sorry for all the off-topic / medical related questions, I'm just curious since it's a very interesting story you have.

Chris,
I never really understood the guys reason either other than he wanted to sell the truck after building the stroker engine. So he felt a stock engine would sell better I guess??? But I don't remember him ever saying exactly why. And I forgot to say in my first post. The Dodge magnum engines are a tall block design so they lend themselves very well to being stroked unlike a Chevy or Ford engine which has to be machined for clearance for the stroker crank.
So the stroker crank is a 4" throw which turns the 5.9 into a 6.7 (408). They also make a 426 stroker kit. You can also get a stroker kit for the 5.2 which makes it a 390. Strokers make gobbs of low end torque with the correct cam.

No problem on the medical questions. When I was shot it damaged my perineal nerve which is what makes you able to lift your foot. So I had foot drop, hammer toes, muscle apathy and chronic pain. So they don't know the why but due to the nerve being damaged over time the pain just became so unbearable that I was basically chair bound. I couldn't stand or walk for more than 5 minutes. And over time I went from 200lbs to 300lbs becasue I wasn't active any longer. So none of that helped.

Was it worth it? Heck yes!!! Most of the pain is now gone and I don't have the phantom pain that some do. I get phantom sensations sometimes when I am wearing my prosthetic. It will feel like my sock has bunched up inside my boot.

I know pcoplin, back about 12 years ago I sold him some parts I was taking off my TJ. As far as I know he is running a fuel cell. I have set some limitations on my build. I want to keep a full body and don't like the comp cut either. I want a fuel tank in or near the stock location which is why I'll get a new GenRight tank. I also am keeping my air bags to help with getting into and out of my Jeep. Coilovers would be nice and all the KOOOL kids run them but I like the air bags. So I have to work around the constraints I've placed on it. That is the reason for the body/frame stretch of 5"+ or-. I'm trying to get around a 104" WB like a LJ but don't want that rear stock departure angle. And since I don't run a soft top any longer it really isn't a huge problem.

Thanks everyone else for your comments. I'll try to keep everyone updated as I do things. I guess I should start a "Wildman JR TJ Build" also.
Hers is pretty much stock right now but as I said she will get all my take offs. Plus I failed when I went to look at it and didn't crawl underneath it. (Was lucky to even go look at it) It was a NY Jeep so the tub is rusted pretty bad. So on top of all the other work she has to replace her tub this summer.

Karrlie%20New%20Tub_zpsbbe9cktg.jpg

Rust free tub and a new hood for my TJ.

I will keep an eye out. Well have to meet up and do a run when you are completed. God bless and may you completely heal. Thank you for your service.
Thanks Steve and once I am back on the trails again we'll have to hook up.

Wow looks like an epic build but it sounds like you used to over coming obstacles...looking forward to seeing this TJ coming to life and getting you back behind the wheel again

Hey Kiwi, Yep it is just a new way of getting around. After I was shot I had no weight bearing for 6 months. So it was crutches or wheel chair if I wanted to go anywhere. When they finally started allowing me to bend my leg I figured out how to drive my Jeep. It was a 4cyl & 5 speed back then. Talk about fun getting into and back out. Of course one of the first things I did was go get 35" tires to replace the 33" tires.

Current configuration:
1997 TJ SE- Dodge magnum 5.2 V-8, 44RE auto tranny, 3 speed STaK's transfer case (3.05 & 5.44 low), front Ford HP44 narrowed to Waggy width, TeraLow CRD60 rear both with ARB's & 5.13 gears. Nth Degree longarm suspension with Off Road Only AiRock 6" air bag system. Premier Power welder & 200 amp alternator, ReadyWelder wire feed. And a ton of other odds and ends.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Interesting about the Magnum engines, I didn't know that about stroking them. Turning it from a 5.9 into a 6.7 with a stroker kit would have to up the power tremendously. That certainly makes me wonder why more people don't just do a Magnum swap than as oppose to an LS swap. I'd have imagine they would be cheaper too?

I don't blame you on the air bags either. I suspect that would make it a lot easier to get in and out of the vehicle for sure. Have you still got the stock axles on there?

Glad to hear about your pain having gone away. I can't say I blame you in that case. I'd rather be missing a leg than living with that chronic pain.

A friend of mine lost the lower half of his leg due to a motorcycle accident. I'm amazed at how capable he is on his prosthetic. He has absolutely no problem keeping up with anyone or doing anything, and if he's wearing long pants, you'd never in a million years know he is missing one of his legs. It's amazing how good he's gotten with it!

Chris, The biggest issue with any Dodge motor is that it is more expensive to build than a Chevy. For me when I first did this swap what made me go Dodge instead of Chevy was that the V-8 PCM would talk to the stock dash. Even now if you swap in a LS engine you have to run 2 computers and it is a PITA to get your stock gauges to work.

No I replaced the axles back during my first build. I bought a Ford HP44 and narrowed the housing to Waggy width. (61.5") and while I was in Iraq I found a guy who had built up his TJ and didn't like the way it drove. She he took it all back apart and I happened to see his thread. So I asked if he would store the rear axle until I got back from Iraq. I had about 10 people say they would store it if he wouldn't. But he was willing to do that. So I bought a TeraLow CRD60 (high pinion custom housing) with 5.13 gears and a ARB for $3k.

Even with my 38" TSL tires when I lower it down to the bump stops it is so much easier to get in and out.

Yes I am amazed at how much some people can do with their prosthetic. It is like anything in life, you yourself is always your worst enemy in keeping yourself from trying to do things. Figuring out how to do things sometimes is the hardest part. Not have that ankle joint makes doing some things harder.

Here is a video of the AiRock system going thru it's demo mode. You can see how much it lowers down.

Chris, The biggest issue with any Dodge motor is that it is more expensive to build than a Chevy. For me when I first did this swap what made me go Dodge instead of Chevy was that the V-8 PCM would talk to the stock dash. Even now if you swap in a LS engine you have to run 2 computers and it is a PITA to get your stock gauges to work.

No I replaced the axles back during my first build. I bought a Ford HP44 and narrowed the housing to Waggy width. (61.5") and while I was in Iraq I found a guy who had built up his TJ and didn't like the way it drove. She he took it all back apart and I happened to see his thread. So I asked if he would store the rear axle until I got back from Iraq. I had about 10 people say they would store it if he wouldn't. But he was willing to do that. So I bought a TeraLow CRD60 (high pinion custom housing) with 5.13 gears and a ARB for $3k.

Even with my 38" TSL tires when I lower it down to the bump stops it is so much easier to get in and out.

Yes I am amazed at how much some people can do with their prosthetic. It is like anything in life, you yourself is always your worst enemy in keeping yourself from trying to do things. Figuring out how to do things sometimes is the hardest part. Not have that ankle joint makes doing some things harder.

Here is a video of the AiRock system going thru it's demo mode. You can see how much it lowers down.

Yes, I've looked extensively into the V8 swaps and almost went with a 5.3 engine from a Silverado. But as I was researching, I found out that you had to run 2 computers if you wanted to use the stock dash (which I did), and so there's a PITA there in getting the two computers to talk to each other.

Okay, I figured there was no way you had stock axles with those massive tires. I wasn't sure though, since they almost looked like they were stock width (though it's hard to tell from a side shot).

That AirRock system is awesome! My wife would love that, as the frequently complains about how hard it is to get in-and-out of the TJ. Does it have any disadvantages as far as rock crawling, flex, or articulation are concerned?

IMGP2536.jpg

I think it does pretty good.

IMG_3193_zps1c3a2231.jpg

IMGP0286.jpg

IMGP0130.jpg

The best part about it is how smooth it is on bumpy trails.

Same hill with a coil sprung TJ coming up it.

Magnum engines are quite expensive to build. They are also wildly inefficient for their power level. I was glad to get rid of my 5.9, it made less power than a stock 5.3, and several miles per gallons less. I swapped in a 6 liter Chevy and wouldn't do anything else.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I get what you are saying Paul. The SBC has always been a more efficient engine and cheaper to build. If I was going to put any different engine into my TJ now it would be a diesel. But that is me.
When I did my engine swap the LS series engines had just started coming out. I had always wanted to swap a TPI 350 into a CJ-7 and thought about it for my TJ.

I look forward to getting to see your Jeep at some point and really want to go for a ride in it to see how the 6.0 works. I know GM stuff is so much more tunable than Mopar. Give me a shout as I need to talk to you about shocks.

Last edited:
Okay I thought I would tease everyone a little bit more with some pictures of parts I have gathered over the past few years. This most likely isn't the BEST intake for a off-road rig but I think I might be able to come up with a air hat for it to seal out water or at least inhibit water being ingested. I have always like muscle cars and use to work on a buddies GTO with a 6 pack intake.
I had originally planed on running a AirGap 4 barrel intake manifold on my 6.7 engine. I had even already bought a 4 barrel throttle body that was rated at 1,150 cfm. Then one day I was discussing my plans with F&B Throttle Bodies and the owner offered me up such a awesome deal I couldn't pass it up. Conservative estimates for a stroked 6.7 engine is 500HP & 480 Tq at the crank on pump gas. So this motor need to be able to breathe. On top of all the different sized TB that F&B makes they also make a custom FI 6 pack intake using a Mopar carb intake and then machining in the injector bungs. I couldn't pass up the offer so I pulled the trigger and bought one of their 6pack intakes.

IMG_3341_zpsqzt4mfi6.jpg

IMG_3343_zpsj52ub0z8.jpg

IMG_3347_zpsydb2kili.jpg

So it has a progressive throttle linkage with the center TB being the low end air supply. Then as you apply more accelerator pedal the two outer TB's will start to open. I've been talking with Ryan from Flyin Ryan Performance and he has assured me he can tune my fuel trims and that this intake will ROCK once we get it fine tuned.

Now to handle all this new found power I had to get a new transmission built. After talking with a ton of people and asking who folks went to for a performance build the name that came up the most was Martin Saine from Calif. Now I have a 44RE in my Jeep right now and Martin told me he could build a 44RE to be able to handle the power this motor is going to make but he also felt that with the big tires and low gearing that we should step up to a 46RE instead. The 46RE transmission is basically a 727 TorueFlight with a overdrive gear. And the RE part means it is electronically controled instead of hydraulically controled like the older 46RH transmission. So he built me a awesome transmission able to handle 700HP just incase I get crazy and add something else to make even more power.

IMG_0071_zpsc78c2ada.jpg

IMG_0072_zps34a02676.jpg

And I picked up a larger capacity oil pan. It is an 8 quart instead of the stock 5 quart.

IMG_3372_zpswuqvkdeh.jpg

IMG_3373_zpsso5hfadl.jpg

I'll start another post in a minute with some more parts.

So when I was researching parts for this engine I wasn't sure what piston rings to use. So I read and read and read some more. I'm I guess taking a chance and am going to try out the Total Seal piston rings. I don't know if it is all smoke and mirrors or if it really is a good thing.

IMG_1999_zpswjyelemz.jpg

IMG_2001_zpsmgkgmmxm.jpg

ARP loves me.

IMG_2005_zpsj67nn6ye.jpg

IMG_1467_zpseeebdf1d.jpg

Keith Black hypereutectic pistons.

IMG_1672_zpsf6c8bf7d.jpg

EQ Monster heads with a 2.02 intake and 1.62 exhaust. The stock magnum heads are notorious for cracking and do not flow very well at all. These Odessa EQ heads flow a lot better and have been designed not to crack like the stock ones. I think that is what is causing my overheating issues with the 5.2 that is in the Jeep now.

IMG_8451_zpsc3a22268.jpg

IMG_8453_zps1c243942.jpg

And then a little bling for the valve covers. Becasue of the 6pack intake I can't use the Jeep logo air cleaner.

IMG_8459_zps69523d77.jpg

And Scorpion roller rockers with 3/8th studs. These are actually made for a small block Chevy motor but they work on the Dodge magnum engine.

IMG_9166_zps860cf777.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Well, if that 6 pack intake won't do it, it don't need to be done.

Man, oh man; that's some nice looking bits and bobs!

A Warrior Products license plate holder. I really like this.

IMG_1025_zps6a3731d0.jpg

So back in 2008 I had decided I wanted to go to a larger tire. I was running 35x13.5x15 Toyo M/T tires on Allied Beadlocks. There had been a few times where my inner bead burped some air when I was running 8psi or lower. So I fell back on my military experiance and decided I would get some Hummer rims and recenter them.

IMGP1654.jpg

IMGP1702.jpg

The new centers.

IMGP1660.jpg

And the insert that makes it a dual beadlock

IMGP1666.jpg

Welding the new centers in place.

IMGP1737.jpg

IMGP1743.jpg

Then I added rock rings.

IMGP1752.jpg

All done and ready to go to the powder coater.

IMGP1754.jpg

And then back from the powder coater all new and shinny.

IMGP1786.jpg

New tires mounted and ready to try them out. TSL Super Swamper SX 38x12.5x16.5.

IMGP1790.jpg

Measure out to about 37" tall when mounted.

IMGP1717.jpg

And it is such a light combo I'm sure even the stock tire carrier could support it...………. 😁

IMGP1720.jpg

Fast forward 3 years and I had some trouble while driving down a trail. I was sure glad this happened at about 1/4 mile from the end of the trail and that it wasn't in a sidehill spot or steep hill like we had been running all day.

IMG_3245_zpse7d3448a.jpg

IMG_3246_zps6c7331a7.jpg

So I called up StazWorks which is who had supplied me with the centers and ordered 4 new rims.

IMG_2048_zpsreh9o4yt.jpg

IMG_2046_zpsd7kqobzj.jpg

IMG_2050_zpse2g5ckja.jpg

So I'll post up some more tomorrow or the next day. Got a doctor appointment tomorrow.

• Wow
Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt