Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

At ride height that tire will probably look almost centered in the wheel well. Do you have a pic with the tire and flare on at assumed ride height? Departure angle looks good. I’m glad you bumped the axle slightly forward to make it work cleanly.

I'll drop it down after I eat and take a picture.

It shouldn't center in the wheel well at full articulation, it should be rubbing the rear part.

Yes sometimes I type before I think.

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
If that is what is needed to position the brackets, then do it. I don't think you need the center gusset or even the plate. Just gusset the bracket.

Becasue if I do the bracket to help support the air bag adapter then I have something to bolt it to and that will make life WAY easier when and if I have to change a air bag. I could just weld the adapter to the frame but then it would take me a long time to unbolt the air bag.

The support isn't adding anything in height to the adapter so I don't see a problem with it.

Becasue if I do the bracket to help support the air bag adapter then I have something to bolt it to and that will make life WAY easier when and if I have to change a air bag. I could just weld the adapter to the frame but then it would take me a long time to unbolt the air bag.

The support isn't adding anything in height to the adapter so I don't see a problem with it.

Add just enough to support the bracket (adapter). Keep it simple.

Reactions: Wildman
BBR,
So I jumped the gun in saying it wasn't centered. Well it still isn't but it does look dang nab good.

20200604_150736.jpg

20200604_150740.jpg

I am going to have to remeasure things since I removed the upper spring buckets because I think it is sitting too high right now. Frame height is 23.25" right here. I think it will sit lower than what it is here.

And the flares are going to cover the tires so the PoPo should leave me alone once I add mud flaps.

20200604_151005.jpg

BBR,
So I jumped the gun in saying it wasn't centered. Well it still isn't but it does look dang nab good.

View attachment 167472

View attachment 167473

I am going to have to remeasure things since I removed the upper spring buckets because I think it is sitting too high right now. Frame height is 23.25" right here. I think it will sit lower than what it is here.

And the flares are going to cover the tires so the PoPo should leave me alone once I add mud flaps.

View attachment 167475
I’ll give Metalcloak one thing, they know how to make a wide flare look good. Haven’t see any other legal flares for wide tires that look nice.

Actually the adapter is needed needed as far I can figure with what I have. You have to have some stand off for the air fitting which is dead center of the airbag.

36x13.5x16.5 IROCK & Tera-Low CRD60 axle.

Just put a hole in the middle of the bracket and position the bag so the fitting is not against the frame. Most semi trucks just have a hole in the frame for the fitting to pass through. Less parts and easier to change later.

Just put a hole in the middle of the bracket and position the bag so the fitting is not against the frame. Most semi trucks just have a hole in the frame for the fitting to pass through. Less parts and easier to change later.
That’s exactly what I was thinking. And how often does a bag need replaced? So what if it takes an hour or so when it’s not often at all. I drew up a rough image of the same idea earlier in the thread. A ratcheting flex wrench that fits those nuts could be added to the trail kit easily.

Right now the bag is coming up almost right in the middle of the frame. So if I made a bracket it would still have to be the height of the air fitting. Most semis have a C channel frame not a boxed frame. I'm not sure I understand what the problem is with this adapter? It isn't making the bag sit farther away from the frame than if I built my own bracket.

That’s exactly what I was thinking. And how often does a bag need replaced? So what if it takes an hour or so when it’s not often at all. I drew up a rough image of the same idea earlier in the thread. A ratcheting flex wrench that fits those nuts could be added to the trail kit easily.

I guess I am just not seeing how this is going to make things any better? How is what you are suggesting going to make the bag any closer to the frame?

1591320967183.png

I'll cut something out of cardboard tomorrow and then see what it looks like.

Had to quit early today since that sore on my leg was bad so I need to get off it.

Right now the bag is coming up almost right in the middle of the frame. So if I made a bracket it would still have to be the height of the air fitting. Most semis have a C channel frame not a boxed frame. I'm not sure I understand what the problem is with this adapter? It isn't making the bag sit farther away from the frame than if I built my own bracket.

I guess I am just not seeing how this is going to make things any better? How is what you are suggesting going to make the bag any closer to the frame?

View attachment 167495

Had to quit early today since that sore on my leg was bad so I need to get off it.
Imagine that the air fitting is your limiter, with that picture, the air fitting would be right up against the frame. How far from the the frame is the air fitting now? In my head I was thinking of cutting the extra threads off those bolts. The plate in the picture would be welded to the frame and the bag removed with a wrench on the two nuts.

View attachment 167495

That leg makes it tough man. What’s your % disability right now? Fucked my back a few years back and got 20%. I imagine they give you significantly more?

Last edited:

View attachment 167495

If the adapter works then use it. I would just turn the bag if possible so the the mounting studs and the air fitting run parallel just inside the frame. It would gain you an extra inch of up space if you need it.

Imagine that the air fitting is your limiter, with that picture, the air fitting would be right up against the frame. How far from the the frame is the air fitting now? In my head I was thinking of cutting the extra threads off those bolts. The plate in the picture would be welded to the frame and the bag removed with a wrench on the two nuts.

Yes the air fitting is going to be the limiting factor for how close I can get to the frame. I pretty much understand how you were suggesting that the plate would work. It might gain a 1/2" of up travel with the way the adapter fits against the frame right now. Not saying it isn't a good idea but is the amount of work worth the expenditure if all I gain is 1/2" of up travel?

That leg makes it tough man. What’s your % disability right now? Fucked my back a few years back and got 20%. I imagine they give you significantly more?

Army rated me at 60% disabled when I was discharged. VA started off at 80% and I've had to fight with them for every % after that. I'm 95% right now but I'm Individually Unemployable which bumps me to 100%. Even after I had my leg amputated they wouldn't raise me to 100% disabled. Said I'd already been rated for lose of use of my leg so having it amputated didn't rate a increased rating.
Things like this ingrown hair don't happen often but when they do it really sucks. Trying to describe how it feels to a non-amputee is hard.

I've got a fucked up back also.

If the adapter works then use it. I would just turn the bag if possible so the the mounting studs and the air fitting run parallel just inside the frame. It would gain you an extra inch of up space if you need it.

I'll look at it more tomorrow and see if it'll gain me enough up travel to warrant trying to fab something up.

I'll look at it more tomorrow and see if it'll gain me enough up travel to warrant trying to fab something up.

Just my intuition on how this is coming together, the more up you can capture the more useable overall travel you will get. We still don't know how the driveshaft is going to play into limiting droop.

Yes the air fitting is going to be the limiting factor for how close I can get to the frame. I pretty much understand how you were suggesting that the plate would work. It might gain a 1/2" of up travel with the way the adapter fits against the frame right now. Not saying it isn't a good idea but is the amount of work worth the expenditure if all I gain is 1/2" of up travel?

Army rated me at 60% disabled when I was discharged. VA started off at 80% and I've had to fight with them for every % after that. I'm 95% right now but I'm Individually Unemployable which bumps me to 100%. Even after I had my leg amputated they wouldn't raise me to 100% disabled. Said I'd already been rated for lose of use of my leg so having it amputated didn't rate a increased rating.
Things like this ingrown hair don't happen often but when they do it really sucks. Trying to describe how it feels to a non-amputee is hard.

I've got a fucked up back also.
Even out the fight never ends brother. Keep pushing, we got your back.

Just my intuition on how this is coming together, the more up you can capture the more useable overall travel you will get. We still don't know how the driveshaft is going to play into limiting droop.
With a center limiting strap (like yours) he can get 14” right? That’s what the bags allow.

Yes and with 1350 joints I can't get as much angle. That bridge we'll cross later.

With a center limiting strap (like yours) he can get 14” right? That’s what the bags allow.

That is the plan if I need one. Before with the Nth Degree I never needed one but I only had 10'" shocks.
I'll be happy if I can package 12" shocks back there.