Will 0-2" lift Rancho RS5000X shocks work with no lift until I install a 2" lift?

Cal

TJ Enthusiast
So my plan is to eventually get 2” Pro Comp coils paired with Rancho RS5000X shocks but I was wondering if the shocks were the type that Fit 0-2” of lift or they’d only fit if I had the 2” coils on. I plan on adding a winch and .75” spacer up front and just want to go ahead and get shocks now since my tires still have a good amount of tread left on them and I didn’t want to do the 2” lift until a later date. Thanks and sorry if I’m not making any sense. Haha

The 5000x is 0 lift, 2.5" or 3.5" of lift. I have run the 0 and now the 2.5" spec. The 0 can handle up to 1.5" over stock. The 55241/55239 need a solid 2.5" lift as they run a tad long. I am at or close to 3" in front and the 55239 almost exactly 50/50, 5" up and 4.5 down.

The 5000x is 0 lift, 2.5" or 3.5" of lift. I have run the 0 and now the 2.5" spec. The 0 can handle up to 1.5" over stock. The 55241/55239 need a solid 2.5" lift as they run a tad long. I am at or close to 3" in front and the 55239 almost exactly 50/50, 5" up and 4.5 down.
Ok so you basically spoke Chinese to me but I’m going to attempt to break this down. Haha. So what you’re saying is that the 5000x WILL be good to get for now when I have no lift and will still work with 2” coils? Sorry for the ignorance.

Ok so you basically spoke Chinese to me but I’m going to attempt to break this down. Haha. So what you’re saying is that the 5000x WILL be good to get for now when I have no lift and will still work with 2” coils? Sorry for the ignorance.

The 5000x model 55239 & 55241, will be too long on a stock TJ. In order to keep them from bottoming out, you will have to extend your bump stops significantly. If your plan is 2"coils, don't buy shocks until then. If you need new shocks for other reasons, buy some generic cheapies in the interim.

Reactions: Cal and KCsTJ
Both the larger tires and the longer shocks will need bump stop extension in order to prevent damage.

Reactions: Rob5589
When @Cal gets his 2" springs, will the Ranchos 55241/55239 be too long?

When @Cal gets his 2" springs, will the Ranchos 55241/55239 be too long?
Yes and no. Like I said, they really need a solid 2.5" of lift to put them in the middle of their stroke at ride height. So in that regard, yes they are probably too long. But, you can add bump stop to avoid bottoming the shock. So in that regard, they will work but not ideally. You would lose up travel and increase down travel. The issue then becomes bind at various points and possibly unseating the spring badly.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I had the 55241 and 55239 and Pro Comp 2" spring combo. On my 2005 TJ, I needed a 0.6" bump stop extension in the rear, and 1.75" for the front, just for shock protection. I had zero tire contact at full stuff with 31s and 3.25" wheel backspace.

Pro-Comps have fairly thick wire diameter, which allow very little sag, especially with my light Jeep. It has a soft top, no winch, spar tire, rear seats, or aftermarket bumpers. Before I fixed my fuel over-flow problem, it seldom had a full tank also. Up travel was abundant on the rear, the front was about 40%. I added a .75" spacer to the front Pro-Comp (15.25" from spring seat to spring seat, insulator included), which increased available compression stroke from 3.75" to 4.5" roughly . I re-installed a hitch carrier that did next to nothing to rear height. A full tank of fuel didn't lower the rear much either. Adding a wheel to the carrier, and putting a load in the rear, set resting height about middle of rear shock travel. I don't carry that weight normally, so I momentarily moved up to the RS55256 with 24.688" extended, and 15.063" compressed measurements. The current rear shock is a RockSport with an extended length of 24.5", and collapsed at 14.6".

Ok so since the Rancho shock doesn’t seem to fit ideally with the 2” Pro Comp springs what shocks would y’all suggest?

Well, 55241 and 55239 models fit very well with Pro Comp 2" springs. Follow your original plan of adding a .75 spacer to the fronts, and if you carry a spare and have rear seats, they're ideal length.

Reactions: KCsTJ and Cal
Ok so since the Rancho shock doesn’t seem to fit ideally with the 2” Pro Comp springs what shocks would y’all suggest?
If you run the springs with a spacer to level the front, which most of us do, they will work. As with anything, make sure you bump stop as needed.

If you run the springs with a spacer to level the front, which most of us do, they will work. As with anything, make sure you bump stop as needed.
Thanks for the knowledge guys. The bumpstops are a whole other subject I’m clueless on. Nothing like this forum to remind you how much of a novis you truly are. Haha

Reactions: KCsTJ and Alex01
The 5000x model 55239 & 55241, will be too long on a stock TJ. In order to keep them from bottoming out, you will have to extend your bump stops significantly. If your plan is 2"coils, don't buy shocks until then. If you need new shocks for other reasons, buy some generic cheapies in the interim.

When I ordered my 5000X's a while back, they (can't recall if it was Rancho or 4 wheel parts) gave me a choice of 0 to 2" lift or higher lift shocks. Since I have stock suspension with 31 tires, and a 1 inch body lift, I never even thought about bump stops. After install, I added a .75 front spacer to level out. Everything seems to be working fine, But.....

Now, with this new thought, I'm going to have to check my bump stops in order to play it safe.....Great info, Thanks

Ray

Reactions: KCsTJ and Cal
Im fixin to install my 2" lift, im still a nooB jeeper of less than a year. I get the overall concept, but like so many said, it will become clear to you once you cycle the suspension, thenthe light comes on..... I hope...
This is a great thread of info for 2" lift with ProComp springs.

Reactions: Cal
Im fixin to install my 2" lift, im still a nooB jeeper of less than a year. I get the overall concept, but like so many said, it will become clear to you once you cycle the suspension, thenthe light comes on..... I hope...
This is a great thread of info for 2" lift with ProComp springs.
What lift are you doing and what size/kind of tires are you going to run?