Will 3” lift shocks work for a 2.5” lift?

RiJeeper

I have a 2000 jeep tj with a 2.5 inch lift I need to find cheap shocks that work well, I found pro comp shocks, but they don’t have an opinion for 2.5 inches of lift, it’s only 0-2 inches or 3-4 inches or something like that, will the shocks for a 3inch lift work for my 2.5 inch lift?

I have a 2000 jeep tj with a 2.5 inch lift I need to find cheap shocks that work well, I found pro comp shocks, but they don’t have an opinion for 2.5 inches of lift, it’s only 0-2 inches or 3-4 inches or something like that, will the shocks for a 3inch lift work for my 2.5 inch lift?
I meant option

ProComp shocks are rarely a good choice, especially their ES-3000 model which is valved way too stiffly for a Wrangler.

Shock models said to be for a taller suspension lift height are generally going to be too long for a shorter lift. That means they are likely to bottom out which can damage both the shock and the shock mount.

Better to remove the springs and fully cycle the suspension and measure the available space when compressed and fully extended.

Reactions: RiJeeper
ProComp shocks are rarely a good choice, especially their ES-3000 model which is valved way too stiffly for a Wrangler.

Shock models said to be for a taller suspension lift height are generally going to be too long for a shorter lift. That means they are likely to bottom out which can damage both the shock and the shock mount.

Better to remove the springs and fully cycle the suspension and measure the available space when compressed and fully extended.
What would you recommend for a good shock for a decent price? And will last long off-roading and daily driving?

What would you recommend for a good shock for a decent price? And will last long off-roading and daily driving?
For a moderately priced shock it's real hard to beat Rancho's newer gas-charged RS5000x, not to be confused with the older and too stiff hydraulic RS5000. I ran it and was pretty amazed how good of a shock it is for its price, both onroad and offroad..

Reactions: RiJeeper
As usual Jerry is spot on, his jeep knowledge far exceeds mine, I have used his advise myself a few times as I tend to tinker with a wide array of vehicles and equipment LOL. My only add here is you should be able to contact your lift supplier and get their recommendations on shock extended and collapse lengths, they may even have something they recommend as a starting point. You then can call the shock company tech line and also confirm with them as well as I usually don't take just one person's input.