Will 315/70r17 tires fit with 4" lift?

Jacob_Wooding

I was wondering if i could clear 315/70R17 with 4" lift and 1" wheel spacers on my 02 tj? I don't do any serious rock crawling, but it does go through lots of mud and sand. I read that they are equivalent to a 34.4". Would i need a body lift or something else? I am currently running 33x12.50's and the front has plenty of clearance my biggest concern is the rear.

That tire size is around 34.4". You can fit that with a 4" lift, yes. The key here is going to be having your bump stop set correctly otherwise you might destroy fenders if you hit any huge bumps or do any off-roading.

I would suggest adding a 1" body lift for some extra clearance at a very minimal cost, just to be safe!

I would argue for a 1.25" body lift. Suspension travel matters just as much on the road as it does off.

Reactions: Rob5589
Is there absolutely anything else that i would need to do?
We are assuming that your suspension, steering and drive lines are setup correctly. How is your axle gearing. Better brakes are strongly recommend.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob5589
A 1.25 bl is recommended. It is incorrect to assume that you only need the correct lift height/clearance if you are "rock crawling." Large dips or potholes on the highway can cause the tires to crash into the fenders in a much more damaging way than the slow movement while "rock crawling." That and if you go mashing through a mud hole and hit an unseen hole/dip, same damage.

Reactions: jjvw
Better brake pads, try Black Magic Brakes. That bigger tire is harder to slow down! If you’re going to run a 35” spare, then an Exogate tire carrier. 1-1.25” Body Lift to accommodate that tire size.

This is assuming you’ve done everything proper for your current 4” lift

I've already got a disc brake conversion for the rear. And as far as everything else I had the lift professionally installed because i don't have time to do it myself. Oh and I'm running 4.11's

Discs in rear are not what they are talking about. Seeing as 70-80% of your braking is done from the fronts. Look into black magic brakes

4.11 gears probably won't work out so well with 35s either. I'm running 32's with 4.10s and I need more torque for long grades... It does ok... Wouldn't really want to go any bigger on tires at this point.

I run 32's with my 4.10's and it runs good. I've debated installing 33's but I don't think I would without a regear. So no way would I run 35's with 4.10 gears, it would just be too much of a pig for my taste.