Will 32RH transmission from 93 Wrangler YJ be a direct swap into my 97 Wrangler TJ?

Silverback

hello I’m looking at buying a new 32 RH automatic transmission from a 93 wrangler which has a torque converter solenoid does anyone know if this would be a direct swop into my 97 Sahara 4.0 with a 32RH ?
Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. Thanks

That should be a direct swap, at least I can't think of anything swap-related that would cause significant problems. Hopefully it includes a good torque converter.

Thank you Jerry,
I’m wondering about the wiring to the torque converter the 93 calls for a different solenoid I’m not sure if it is a big deal but it could be ?

That should be a direct swap, at least I can't think of anything swap-related that would cause significant problems. Hopefully it includes a good torque converter.
Does good torque converter = Mopar?

And @Jerry Bransford, Do you know of any equivalent or high performance aftermarket torque converters for our automatic TJs?

On the YJ-era 32rh's, does the torque converter lock up signal come from the computer?

The reason I ask is because in the back of my head, I have the idea of putting a 32rh in my late-TJ, but there isn't an '03 PCM available that sends the lock up signal.

I wanted to reply to this thread even though it is rather old. I searched and searched for info on how to do this swap and was not able to get any answers. So here is my solution to deal with installing a 1993 YJ 32rh into a 1997 TJ. I am not big on long writeups so ill keep it simple.

1. The transmission will bolt up.
2. You will need to use a 1993 torque converter. The 1993 32rh trans has a different input shaft and the 1997 TC did not fit.
3. The 1993 torque converter has a different bolt pattern. Three holes will bolt up to the 1997 flex plate but the fourth is about a quarter of an inch off. You will have to elongate the hole to fit the 1993 TC.
4. The torque converter lockup solenoid is a single wire solenoid in the 1993 YJ transmission. The solenoid will lock up when it sees 12v from ecu. The 1997 uses a two wire where the solenoid gets constant 12v from accessory and locks up when it sees ground. You will have to wire up a relay to send 12v to the 1993 solenoid in your trans when the 1997+ ecu closes ground. See the diagram below.
5. You will need to buy a spare 1997 solenoid to use as a dummy and just sit outside the transmission so that the ECU does not throw a check engine light. I guess it goes through a check to see if the solenoid is there and if it does not see it it will throw a code. I just mounted one with the relay. I am sure you can measure the resistance of the 1997 solenoid and then figure out how to trick the ecu with some kind of a resistor, but the dummy approach was easier for me to do. If someone smarter than me figures out the resistor route please let me know. Again, see the diagram.

Good luck.

I wanted to reply to this thread even though it is rather old. I searched and searched for info on how to do this swap and was not able to get any answers. So here is my solution to deal with installing a 1993 YJ 32rh into a 1997 TJ. I am not big on long writeups so ill keep it simple.

2. You will need to use a 1993 torque converter. The 1993 32rh trans has a different input shaft and the 1997 TC did not fit.
3. The 1993 torque converter has a different bolt pattern. Three holes will bolt up to the 1997 flex plate but the fourth is about a quarter of an inch off. You will have to elongate the hole to fit the 1993 TC.
4. The torque converter lockup solenoid is a single wire solenoid in the 1993 YJ transmission. The solenoid will lock up when it sees 12v from ecu. The 1997 uses a two wire where the solenoid gets constant 12v from accessory and locks up when it sees ground. You will have to wire up a relay to send 12v to the 1993 solenoid in your trans when the 1997+ ecu closes ground. See the diagram below.
5. You will need to buy a spare 1997 solenoid to use as a dummy and just sit outside the transmission so that the ECU does not throw a check engine light. I guess it goes through a check to see if the solenoid is there and if it does not see it it will throw a code. I just mounted one with the relay. I am sure you can measure the resistance of the 1997 solenoid and then figure out how to trick the ecu with some kind of a resistor, but the dummy approach was easier for me to do. If someone smarter than me figures out the resistor route please let me know. Again, see the diagram.

Good luck.

View attachment 97939

Very helpful info, thanks for sharing this. I'm 100% certain this is going to help someone in the future.

Good luck.

View attachment 97939
What about the sensor in the bell housing.

Hello , im on the way to put a 94 yj tranny on my 1998 TJ i read this post and i got 2 main question that was not asked there , about the crank sensor , do its still the same , and the flywheel , if i put the one from the 4.0L YJ engine with the starter that come with it , do it will all fit correctly on the back of my present 4.0L TJ engine ? Thanks