Will 4.88 gears handle 35s on a 4-cylinder?

machina1212

Got my first Jeep. It’s a 97 TJ. 4 banger. Has 4.10 gears with 15” rims and 33” tires. If I want to go to 17 rims and 35 tires, will a 4.88 gear handle it or will it be too much for the 4 cylinder?

That will be way too much for the 4 cylinder unless you plan to only use it off-road at slow speeds.

35s on a 4 cylinder for on-road driving is going to be one of the most miserable experiences of your life.

Reactions: Ron505
Auto or manual? The gear recommendations will be very different between the two.

It's very hard to run 35" tires with a a 4.0 and make everything work well...$10,000 dollars hard.

They just are too much tire for a motor that small, regardless of how it is geared, and the money to gear it would be better spent to get one with a 4.0.

The bigger issue is the Dana 35 rear axle, its factory axle shafts are simply not strong enough for 35's.

And with the 2.5 engine, 4.88 is not enough gear for 35's with the 5-speed transmission. 4.88 is the usual recommendation for 33's with the 5-speed transmission. If the axle shafts were replaced with stronger replacements I'd regear to 5.13 if you absolutely gotta have 35's

And there's more to running 35's than what we're talking about.

Personally I'd stick with 33's with the 2.5 engine unless you have some really deep pockets.

Reactions: Ron505
I ran 33" and then 35" tires on my 97 TJ SE. When I swapping in 4.88 gears with the 33" tires I could finally use 5th gear again unless I was going up a steep hill. It still was never a speed demon but did okay on the street. Not long after that I had picked up a 4.1 TeraLo for my transfer case so off-road it was great.
When I returned from Iraq I then decided I needed bigger tires and swapped on 35" Toyo M/T's and ran them for about 18 months. I again lost use of 5th gear but it was still drivable. As others have said it isn't the best idea.

And as pointed out your Dana 35 rear axle unless beefed up with a Super 35 kit won't handle 35" tires. Back when I had done my Jeep there wasn't the S35 available but there was the Warn full floater axle kit. I also had installed a Detroit locker & a Superior axle truss. I never had any issues with axle breakage but then after looking at other options to try and get more power out of my 2.5 I ended up doing a V-8 swap along with stronger axles.

So the short answer is YES you can run 35" tires with the 2.5 but you won't be going anywhere fast. You are better to stay with 33" tires and you'll enjoy your TJ a lot more.

The other thing is if I remember right 17" rims and tires are heavier than 15" rims and tires. I should say SOME are.

Last edited:
That will be way too much for the 4 cylinder unless you plan to only use it off-road at slow speeds.

35s on a 4 cylinder for on-road driving is going to be one of the most miserable experiences of your life.
X2 to that! I took off my 35’s and went to 31’s. What a difference. It’s so much nicer to drive , gas mileage is way up and now I can get in the f’n thing!

X2 to that! I took off my 35’s and went to 31’s. What a difference. It’s so much nicer to drive , gas mileage is way up and now I can get in the f’n thing!

Yep, I agree! My thought is that 35s really only belong on a TJ if it's primarily driven off-road. For on-road driving, they can become tiresome very quickly.

thank you all for the replies! I will just stick with 33s. Sucks but it is what it is.
You know you can still do a lot of trails and have a great time, this is my YJ w/ 33's and a 4 cyl and 4:88's

DSC00411.jpg

IMG_2141 (1).JPG

deep.jpg

Reactions: EzPeezy and J R
Personally, I would go 5.13s on the 4 cyl regardless of 33s or 35s. You could do 35x12.5, but freeway speeds will suck. Narrow 35s (or even narrow 33s) would be significantly better than wide tires.

Reactions: Wildman
I’ll stick with the 33s. I wish I could at least do 17” rims but I think it would look odd. I wish they didn’t put a 6” lift kit. 4” would have been better suited but it’s my first Jeep and I have plenty of time to make it how I want it

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Here is a 4 cyl on 35's.

S4300085_zpshoovjaop.jpg

And yes you can even wheel it.

IMG001271.jpg

But as I said before I really think you will be happier sticking with 33" tires. The BIGGEST performance mod you can do to your TJ is to try and cut down on it's weight. If you wheel it a lot think about adding a inertia ring to your flywheel when it's time to replace the clutch.

http://www.tricountygear.com/products/inertia-ring
It allows you to lug the engine down to 500-600 RPM's without stalling the engine.

Just to give you the idea of what driving your TJ with 4.88 gears would be like it's like driving in 4th right now but that will be in 5th gear with the 4.88 gears.

Screenshot (29).png

Screenshot (30).png

This is from GrimmJeepers gear calculator .

Notice how the RPM's with 4.10 gears in 4th are about the same as in 5th with 4.88 gears.