Will a 2 inch spacer lift with bump stops require new shocks or shock extensions?

Fishtaco

TJ Expert
So OK I didnt even know they existed lol, So will a 2 inch spacer lift with bump stops require new shocks or shock extensions? Factoring in I will only ever 4X4 on sand tracks and the beach with a few corrugated tracks and most important to the mall and back :)

Cheers

Should have been Shock "Extensions" But seems nobody here does it other than for levelling a factory rake with smaller spacers.

Yes, you need longer shocks for 2" spacer lift.

Depends upon IF you have replaced your shocks recently with after market shocks....
You might want to check what the fully extended and compressed lengths are for the shocks and then measure how much of the shock stem is exposed to see if you will need new shocks or if the existing ones are long enough.

Reactions: Fishtaco
But can I use shock extensions? I am happy with my stock shock ride or is it a JK and above thing?
I don’t know what shock extensions are. All I know is several years ago I added a 1.75” spacer and a longer shock kit.

So OK I didnt even know they existed lol, So will a 2 inch spacer lift with bump stops require new shocks or shock extensions? Factoring in I will only ever 4X4 on sand tracks and the beach with a few corrugated tracks and most important to the mall and back :)

Cheers
But can I use shock extensions? I am happy with my stock shock ride or is it a JK and above thing?

Some things to consider.

1) A 2" spacer might not give you the full flex that springs for a 2" lift will give you, since it does not compress.
2) Shocks are needed for a 2 inch spacer. It is the same exactly thing as installing longer springs. Keeping you stock shocks will set your shocks in a different up travel / down travel ratio. It will give you a very minimal down travel. That's why we buy longer shocks. To set this ratio as close to 50 50 as possible, but also to increase the articulation.
3) You say that you like your stock shock ride. IF you change the ride height (spacers/springs), the stock shocks ratio (that I explain above) will change, so the ride will not be the same.
4) Bump stops are required for new shocks, not for the spacers.
5) Spacers might be a good budget option for you instead of 2" springs, especially if you don't need a lot of articulation. But, longer shocks in my opinion are a must.
6) I don't know what shock extensions are, so I don't know if it's a solution to this problem. I am pretty sure that is not common at all in TJs though.

Cheers
I knew you were going to lift it!!! (y) Years ago, People ran BPE's and a BB with stock shocks. For the price of them, longer shocks is a much better option.

Last edited:
have you found anything similar for TJs? What is the price range?
No I just came across an old wrangler thread that mentioned spring spacers and shock extensions and thought easy on easy off if you dont like it! Only requires an alignment after fitting.

Reactions: TJim
Thanks.

Is there any reason to install those other than budget?
Mall crawling! lol
Easy fit on and back off without changing shocks and buying new springs, would have been a good choice for you in the interim when you first got the 31,s so you could source springs and shocks more suited to European supply/costs.

Reactions: TJim
Mall crawling! lol
Easy fit on and back off without changing shocks and buying new springs, would have been a good choice for you in the interim when you first got the 31,s so you could source springs and shocks more suited to European supply/costs.
With stock springs there is no reason to install them.