Will a Dana 35 axle handle 33 inch tires?

A Super 35 kit isn't cheap either but it's more than up to 35" tires and it doesn't require that the axle be swapped. Super 35 kits also include a locker. With a Super 35 it'd be more than up to even 35's.

Or for a cheap upgrade replace your Dana 35's axle shafts with aftermarket (like from Yukon) 1541H 27 spline shafts. That'd give you a nice strength upgrade without breaking the bank. If you see 4340 shafts don't go that way, they're inappropriate for a Dana 35.
So without too much research a super 35 is around $1200. possible other option is this link.
https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-19399212-dana-44-tj-rear-bolt-in-axle-assembly-30-spline.html
But as I am not an expert on good or bad drivetrain parts/manufacturers, maybe you could look at this and tell me what you think? Not trying to put you to work,,, and if you don't have the time, or just plain don't want to... your not going to hurt my feelings. My wife tells me I have none anyway. 😢

my bigger concern would be breaking it on the road. We've all read stories where people claim they broke a shaft in their Dana 35 'backing out of the driveway' or 'driving normally down the street'. Now, I don't know if there's any truth to those claims but to the extent it's possible I'd hate to be in the Jeep that's just driving normally down the highway when it decides to let go maybe after hitting a pothole or something given the C-clip.

I suspect that perhaps the shafts in those stories were already compromised from prior overuse or abuse & were ready to break when they did, though from a metallurgical standpoint I'm not sure if that's possible. Either way, and particularly for a TJ you bought used with no knowledge of prior use/abuse on those shafts, if those tales are true I wouldn't be crazy about leaving them in for any purposes with the larger tires.

I think you hit the nail on the head here.
I have seen a Dana 35 on 31" tires break stock shafts and the spider gears on 31" tires. But I also wheeled my TJ on 33" tires for a short time. Then I found a Warn Full Floater kit and ran that with 33" and then 35" tires.
The breakage on Dana 35's I think come from repeated abuse. And when you buy a used Jeep you have no idea what was done to it before you bought it unless it comes from family or a close friend. Some of the internet myths about the Dana 35 have been proven wrong by people like Blaine and Jerry.

Also consider the type of wheeling being done. Dry rock and technical wheeling is a lot different to say here in the PNW where it is wet some times and dry other times. Going from loose wet to firm traction is also what snaps axles. I watched a guy break a Ford 9" axle shaft once when he bounced over a tree root. Had to do 2 full winch line pulls to get him off that hill.

I hate being the person who breaks and either holds up the group or makes them have to turn around. I would rather beef it up first as much as I can. Now in saying that ANYTHING can break. I am proof of that. I broke a Dana 60 high pinion rear axle gear set on 35" tires.

So without too much research a super 35 is around $1200. possible other option is this link.
https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-19399212-dana-44-tj-rear-bolt-in-axle-assembly-30-spline.html
But as I am not an expert on good or bad drivetrain parts/manufacturers, maybe you could look at this and tell me what you think? Not trying to put you to work,,, and if you don't have the time, or just plain don't want to... your not going to hurt my feelings. My wife tells me I have none anyway. 😢
Keep in mind that Dana 44 needs to have a locker added at a cost of an extra $580 to $875 plus the cost of the gears. A Super 35 from Revolution Gear can be had from 4LowParts for $1100 that includes a Detroit Locker. https://www.4lowparts.com/shop/super-35-rear-axle-kit-detroit-locker-revolution/ or with an ARB Air Locker for $1470 at https://www.4lowparts.com/shop/super-35-rear-axle-kit-arb-air-locker-Dana 35-30spl/

A Super 35 includes 1541H 30 spline shafts that are slightly stronger than the OE carbon steel 30 spline Dana 44 shafts.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that Dana 44 needs to have a locker added at a cost of an extra $580 to $875. A Super 35 from Revolution Gear can be had from 4LowParts for $1100 that includes a Detroit Locker. https://www.4lowparts.com/shop/super-35-rear-axle-kit-detroit-locker-revolution/ or with an ARB Air Locker for $1470 at https://www.4lowparts.com/shop/super-35-rear-axle-kit-arb-air-locker-Dana 35-30spl/

A Super 35 includes 1541H 30 spline shafts that are slightly stronger than the OE carbon steel 30 spline Dana 44 shafts.
Thanks for your time and info Jerry, is highly appreciated!

Reactions: Jerry Bransford

That Dana 44 you linked is just a starting price. As Jerry said add in the locker and cost of gears if you are not regearing your Dana 35. Now yes you can swap your brakes & lines over to the Dana 44 but that is about it. As people like Jerry keep saying, if the choice of lockers available for the Super 35 kits fit what you are wanting to do it is a great choice up to 35" tires.
If you are going larger than 35" tires then you need to start looking at other options like Dana 60's. There is a fine point where a Dana 44 will work but at 37" tires you are right there where anything larger and you need larger axles. I went thru this as I was trying to decide what to build. And am going thru it again on my kids TJ. It is hard to part with those hard earned dollars.

After much, much research, I kept my Dana 35 and went with a Super 35. My final setup ended like this.

3" lift
33" tires
Revolution Gear 1541H 30 spline shafts, rear, stock Dana 30 front
Revolution Gear 4.88 gears
Superior Axle rear axle truss
ARB lockers front and rear

I am quite confident that I have a setup that is very strong. I have wheeled my Jeep hard in many places and have never been let down.

I want to go up to 35's, but I do believe my automatic and 4.88 gears would not be optimal. 5.18 would probably be better.

That Dana 44 you linked is just a starting price. As Jerry said add in the locker and cost of gears if you are not regearing your Dana 35. Now yes you can swap your brakes & lines over to the Dana 44 but that is about it. As people like Jerry keep saying, if the choice of lockers available for the Super 35 kits fit what you are wanting to do it is a great choice up to 35" tires.
If you are going larger than 35" tires then you need to start looking at other options like Dana 60's. There is a fine point where a Dana 44 will work but at 37" tires you are right there where anything larger and you need larger axles. I went thru this as I was trying to decide what to build. And am going thru it again on my kids TJ. It is hard to part with those hard earned dollars.
Yeah I get it. Just blowes me away the prices of some of this crap. When i was a teenager you could walk into a junk yard and buy a 12 bolt posi for a 69 camaro for $75. You wanna buy one today it's $3000. All it did was get older! Shit, you could buy the whole damn car in 69 for that. I'll shutup now,,, must be time for a beer!

Yeah I get it. Just blowes me away the prices of some of this crap. When i was a teenager you could walk into a junk yard and buy a 12 bolt posi for a 69 camaro for $75. You wanna buy one today it's $3000. All it did was get older! Shit, you could buy the whole damn car in 69 for that. I'll shutup now,,, must be time for a beer!

Yep I use to buy cars for $200 and fix them and then sell them for $1,000. You can't find a Dana 44 for a TJ around here for less than $1k unless you get really lucky. It is amazing what used parts sell for now. Try buying a Dana 60 front axle.

Reactions: Hook_62
A Dana 35 normally holds up ok to 33's providing there's no locker and you take it easy on it. Just don't get into a situation where you get the rear-end bouncing trying to get up/over something. I wheeled my previous TJ fairly hard with 33's on its original Dana 35 for several years without issue.
Can I get away with a Trutrac or is that asking for trouble as well?

Can I get away with a Trutrac or is that asking for trouble as well?
That’s the set up that I have. I’ve also upgraded to Ten Factory chromoly axles so I’m wondering as well. I’ve also never heard any reference to Ten Factory axles & gears on this forum. The guy that installed mine said that they were fine. ‘Any opinions out there?