Will a grille from a 97 TJ fit on a 06 TJ?

MaxCollins

I was planning to swap out the grill on my 06 LJ when I install the BL and MML so I picked one up for cheap on CL. I should have looked at it closer before I bought it but at the time I thought that all the grills 97-06 were the same. Since then I found a post on here mentioning some of the differences.

The first thing I should have noticed right off is that this used grill (primer gray) has the latch mechanism bolted to the grill instead of attached to the hood like my 06 (white). From looking at the FSMs it seems this was the normal latch in 97 and 98?

930M.jpg

729M.jpg

What I can't see in the FSM is what did that old-style latch latch on to on the hood side? Is there loop or something that I can bolt onto my hood to make it work? The FSM doesn't show any part numbers that I see. If anyone has a pic of the underside of the 97-98 hood that matches this grill that would be helpful. The other option is to cut a hole in the used grill and use my existing hood latch. That might be easiest route....

The used grill also has different style grommets for the headlight trim rings. Does anybody have a source for these grommets? The old ones were dry rotted and broken and i need to find replacements if I go forward with this swap.

649M.jpg

708M.jpg

The used grill does not have the tabs in front of the radiator for mounting the two temp? sensors but that doesn't seem to be a big deal. I think I can fab something to mount them.

703M.jpg

714M.jpg

That's the only differences I've noticed so far, but as you can see I have not yet removed the 06 grill so there may be other differences I cannot see. Before I go to all that trouble is there any reason why this grill will not fit my 06?

Thanks for any help

Thanks Chris. Yes, I had seen that thread - that's what prompted me to go take a closer look at the used grill I bought. I guess to clarify my questions -

1) are there any other differences between 97 and 06 grilles that I need to know about? Is there anything that would prevent this 97 grill from being installed in my 06?

2) assuming the grill fits, what is the easiest way to modify the latch configuration? Cut a hole in the 97 grill to match the 06 latch, or modify the 06 hood to fit the 97 latch? I don't have any idea what the underside of the 97 hood looks like and the parts diagram is not helpful.

Thanks for the help.

Hey, this is an old thread, but are you still working on it? If so, I can take some pics of my 97 hood and grille.

Thanks, but I've already got it done. Everything fit fine and I didn't run into any other problems.

I ended up cutting a slot in the top of the 97 grill and bending the tab down so my existing 06 hood latch would catch on it. Not as pretty as a factory job, but it works.

Thanks, but I've already got it done. Everything fit fine and I didn't run into any other problems.

I ended up cutting a slot in the top of the 97 grill and bending the tab down so my existing 06 hood latch would catch on it. Not as pretty as a factory job, but it works.

And do you know if this was a 97-thing, or more of a pre-2003 thing, like so many other differences I've come across.

And do you know if this was a 97-thing, or more of a pre-2003 thing, like so many other differences I've come across.
It’s a ‘97 thing for sure. I changed my ‘97 grille and hood out for the newer versions…

Reactions: SSTJ