Will a hardtop from a 97-02 fit an 03-06 windshield frame?

Furness

I need to replace the top & windshield frame on my '06 TJ. It seems there was some kind of design change - at least in the windshield - in 2003. Does anyone have any info on this? Will a hardtop from a 97-02 fit an 03-06 windshield frame?

There was no change at all to the windshield frame as far as mounting a hardtop is concerned. A 97-02 hard top will fit a 03-06 and vice versa. No issues whatsoever, period.

There was no change at all to the windshield frame as far as mounting a hardtop is concerned. A 97-02 hard top will fit a 03-06 and vice versa. No issues whatsoever, period.
Thanks. Was there any change in the windshield frame design - other than plastic trim on the interior? Seems like I am hearing conflicting info.

The only difference is the front clamps. The older TJ's front top clamps are a tad wider than the slots in the 2003 and newer windshield frame and you may need to grind a small amount off the width of the clamp hooks where they insert into the slots. No big deal and easily done.

The only difference is the front clamps. The older TJ's front top clamps are a tad wider than the slots in the 2003 and newer windshield frame and you may need to grind a small amount off the width of the clamp hooks where they insert into the slots. No big deal and easily done.

Really? I was able to fit a 97-02 hardtop on a 03-06 TJ without any issue whatsoever. Is this all of them or just some of them?

Strange

Really? I was able to fit a 97-02 hardtop on a 03-06 TJ without any issue whatsoever. Is this all of them or just some of them?

Strange
Maybe it's just the older soft top's clamps are a tad too wide. They are a similar design but not exactly the same.

Thanks! I was at the wrecking yard and may have scored a used frame in the same color, but the yard owner started talking about differences between 02 & 03 and had me concerned. No change in hinges, I assume? Sheesh. I've always owned CJ's and they were the same for decades!

There are significant differences between 2002 and 2003, but I can't say if that includes enough difference in the windshield frame to allow it to be mounted without problem or not. @mrblaine probably knows if it'll bolt up ok.

There are significant differences between 2002 and 2003, but I can't say if that includes enough difference in the windshield frame to allow it to be mounted without problem or not. @mrblaine probably knows if it'll bolt up ok.
Bolts up just fine forward or backward compatible. There are some minor differences in how the header gasket is shaped though.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Bolts up just fine forward or backward compatible. There are some minor differences in how the header gasket is shaped though.
Thanks. I'm working on getting a replacement windshield frame that is right color. Most likely it will be pre-2003 and it's likely the top will be that era too. All to be installed on a 2006. I'm guessing the the older frame & the older top will mate up just fine.

If you want rear defrost & wipers to work, be prepared to modify the pig tail harness.

hard top pins.jpg

I've heard the 2003+ windshield frames are more prone to rotting out. Anyone know if this is true?

Only thing to be aware of is the newer tops aren’t vented, the vents were moved to the tailgate.

Only thing to be aware of is the newer tops aren’t vented, the vents were moved to the tailgate.
Yes, I’m very aware of this 👍 won’t do any harm though. Might just make the doors a bit harder to shut.

I've heard the 2003+ windshield frames are more prone to rotting out. Anyone know if this is true?
Very true all the 03 to 06 windshield frames were worse then mine. So rather than trying to find a windshield frame silver, adapting a older frame, or buying a non chinese one for huge 💰. Then painting, and putting the glass in, I cut the rust off then put a replacement piece on:

IMG_20201113_134012321.jpg

IMG_20201113_134007195.jpg

panel.jpg

I got the new piece on ebay for under 70 bucks.

Last edited: