Will a Jeep start or run without an airbag control module?

Jmac00

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
FINALLY, found a junk yard that had a couple scrapped Jeeps, one was 2001, and couple rows over was a 1999.

the 2001 was a standard, so no real help, just grabbed a couple little things off it. but I spotted a 99, automatic, I scored the interlock shift cable, the floor light sockets, the gear shift bezel, and the ACM, withabout 24" of wire harness.
My plan was to put all the electronics back together, throw the battery in it and see if it would start, but after talking to a couple people, they were saying the Jeep won;t run without the ACM? to clarify, Im not going to put the scrap ACM in unless I absolutely have to
Is the airbag control module, the main ECM for the jeep, or is that a separate thing?
I figured I'd ask before I put the entire dash back in and then NOT have it start....

opinions?

The Air Bag Control module is generally located on top of the transmission hump just beneath the Climate Controls.
The PCM (ECU) controls the vehicle operations and is located in the engine compartment on the passenger side firewall behind the battery.
AFAIK.... the Air Bag Control Module will place a red indicator on the lower Instrument Cluster display and does not interrupt the start of the engine.

• Love
Reactions: Jmac00
OOOH thank you so much, another question, should I decide to install the ACM, does it have to be "programed" from a '99 to a '2000?

I did manage to grab the one from the junk yard with 18/24" of the harness, and Im fairly certain it was protected under the dash even from rain? but is a '99 compatible with a '00

There are differences in communications between '99 and '00 PCMs.

UPDATE: I looked up the PNs for 99 and 00 ACMs; they are the same 56010 105AD.

I got the wiring harness back together, the steering wheel wiring all back in and new battery cables installed and fired the old wobbly jalopy up. She fired right, no smoke, no flames, Im a very happy camper,

THANK YOU FOR THE HELP, I really appreciate the help