Will a non-vented tailgate from a 97 TJ fit my 04 TJ?

From what I've heard a few times, the vent in the tailgate is crucial. Apparently you can blow out a window (on a hardtop) if you shut the tailgate too hard without anywhere for the air to escape. This might be bullshit but it's what I've been told.

From what I've heard a few times, the vent in the tailgate is crucial. Apparently you can blow out a window (on a hardtop) if you shut the tailgate too hard without anywhere for the air to escape. This might be bullshit but it's what I've been told.
I've read about that too but I think blowing out a window is an exaggeration. Of course the non-vented tailgate does make it harder to close the last door with the windows up and a non-vented hard top on.

I've read about that too but I think blowing out a window is an exaggeration. Of course the non-vented tailgate does make it harder to close the last door with the windows up and a non-vented hard top on.
Yeah, it's obviously going to be a rare situation but I can imagine it could happen if you slammed it shut.

I currently have the 03-06 hardtop with no vents, but plan on switching to a soft top this spring so it sounds like I'll be fine. The reason I'm buying it is the price is half the price that I normally see these go for. Thanks for the replies.

I had a ‘97 tailgate on my 05 Rubicon for a few years with hardtop and various soft tops. Never had an issue with the windows.
I think breaking the window is one of those things that technically is possible but doesn’t occur enough to worry about.
Kind of like how dangerous using a traditional winch hook is now that other hooks are available, yeah, an old school hook could come off but how often do you hear about it actually happening?

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm wondering if I can remove the vent from my 04 tailgate and install in the 97 tailgate?

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm wondering if I can remove the vent from my 04 tailgate and install in the 97 tailgate?

That may be possible but I bet it's more work than it's worth. Beyond any drilling, cutting and fitting you may need to add something to keep its strength. Then you definitely have to prime/paint to protect everything from rusting which would probably be the easiest part of the job.

Wont make any difference with the soft top, but as is always the story with mods interfering with other things, since changing to a drop down tailgate with a full skin, I've obviously covered up the vents.

You will notice the doors don't like closing. I just kind of close it and then bump it again to "seal" it

I changed my damaged tailgate on my 2004 with one without the vent. We had enough hassle removing the hinges because the guy had cut the hinges off his Jeep. Then we changed the lock from the vented one to the other one.

I have a 99 with a non-vented tailgate and an 03 and up hardtop. only issues I have run into is the doors take a little extra force to close. I've been using the hardtop since October and that has been my only issue