Will a super 35 on 35's make it thru the Rubicon trail?

I haven't seen a documented failure of the super35. Be smart when wheeling and avoid wheel hop

Reactions: DrDmoney
Of course it will, as long as you don't drive like an asshole (i.e. someone who always thinks more throttle is the answer). Stupid driving can break even the strongest Dana 60.

Great my goal is to run the Rubicon trail and similar. Trying to figure out if the super 35 will hold up or if I needed the Dana 44 and it's EXPENSIVE!!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

No problem, the Super 35 with 35's was tested in Johnson Valley which is far tougher than the Rubicon Trail. There are very few documented failures of the Super 35.

Reactions: StG58
As @mrblaine says, loosely quoted, if you are replacing axles, lockers and gears... the difference in price is the cost of the housing. The 44 will hold the axle better in case of a broken axle.

As @mrblaine says, loosely quoted, if you are replacing axles, lockers and gears... the difference in price is the cost of the housing. The 44 will hold the axle better in case of a broken axle.
The Super 35's 1541H 30 spline axle shaft is slightly stronger than the carbon steel 30 spline axle shaft in a Dana 44. Odds of an axle shaft breakage are less likely with a Super 35 than with a Dana 44 where shaft retention could be an issue.

Last edited:
Very true for most. Sadly, finding a 44 generally runs around a grand if you can find one which makes it a pretty expensive difference since you'll likely toss most of the innards anyway.

Axle retention is a poor metric to base an axle choice on though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Imapepper and Chris
I'll pass on c-clip axles for anything performance oriented. Somebody posted a pic of a Jeep with a high lift jack holding a wheel on with a broken c-clip axle. I have broken a 9" axle on a car and limped it home about 10 miles. Is a rigged external wheel retainer ever needed to limp a 44 or 9" off the trail? Is the wedding ring and bearing plate strong enough to hold the wheel on with a broken axle off road?

Like this

dana35tree2_zps9f864141.jpg

Dana35.jpeg

I'll pass on c-clip axles for anything performance oriented. Somebody posted a pic of a Jeep with a high lift jack holding a wheel on with a broken c-clip axle. I have broken a 9" axle on a car and limped it home about 10 miles. Is a rigged external wheel retainer ever needed to limp a 44 or 9" off the trail? Is the wedding ring and bearing plate strong enough to hold the wheel on with a broken axle off road?
Yes, the retainer and shaft collar will retain the axle. They do not prevent damage to the internals and we've had more than one locker ruined by driving on a broken axle to get off the trail and or back to camp. Same in the front.

These discussions should at some point mature enough so that the knowledge about how stuff works gets be to common and group knowledge progresses. The Super 35 kit will easily handle the Rubicon since we have few to no issues with it in JV. In perspective, if the Rubicon is a 10 on some difficulty scale, the average trail in JV would be a 20.

Thanks for the heads up on locker damage. Is there a good way to get off the trail short of a replacement axle? Thanks for sharing your experience.
All depends and where and how it is broken. If the ends are at an angle and inside the locker side gear, you'll destroy the locker getting even a short distance. Outside of the side gears, you may get some distance, expect collateral damage on the housing end and the bearing and seal. Without the axle in the locker, the end of it flops around inside the tube and that isn't good for anything.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I have experienced the same disparity in trail ratings in Tennessee. Trail ratings from park to park can get you in trouble.
It isn't a disparity since the JV trails are not under the same rating system if rated even at all. They are just difficult with no bypasses.

Tennessee has no shortage of rocks or difficult to impossible trails. We have JV with trees and wet rocks. There is a reason why we have rock bouncers, Utah has spiders etc. They go places nothing else can.