Will a super 35 on 35's make it thru the Rubicon trail?

When rock crawling; will an MT large lug tire be more likely to cause damage than an AT type, which would probably just spin?
Currently running ATs, Was planning on getting some MTs. Not a fan of mud, but sometimes it's unavoidable. (I try not to go off the designated trail.) I really liked my Interco Trxus tires that I ran on a previous Jeep.

15-TRXUS_MT_600x600.png

When rock crawling; will an MT large lug tire be more likely to cause damage than an AT type, which would probably just spin?
Currently running ATs, Was planning on getting some MTs. Not a fan of mud, but sometimes it's unavoidable. (I try not to go off the designated trail.) I really liked my Interco Trxus tires that I ran on a previous Jeep.

View attachment 115139
Not sure what you mean by " more likely to cause damage than an AT type " damage ?

Say, you're between a rock and a hard place, If the tire can't slip (and the jeep doesn't want to move), then somethings going to break. Just wondering if those with more experience sees a higher percentage of breakdowns due to more aggressive tires?

View attachment 115139
Throttle breaks stuff.

Reactions: Plumber1
I'll pass on c-clip axles for anything performance oriented. Somebody posted a pic of a Jeep with a high lift jack holding a wheel on with a broken c-clip axle. I have broken a 9" axle on a car and limped it home about 10 miles. Is a rigged external wheel retainer ever needed to limp a 44 or 9" off the trail? Is the wedding ring and bearing plate strong enough to hold the wheel on with a broken axle off road?
That an axle is a C-clip type has no bearing on its strength. Zero, nada. The C-clip is not the issue at all and it does NOT reduce the axle shaft's strength. The only issue to be concerned with is the axle shaft itself strong enough regardless of if it is a C-clip design or not. For one example, the Ford 8.8 axle is a C-clip axle and I sure don't see people talking about the 8.8 showing any concern for that. Why? Because it has 31 spline axle shafts, not the smaller diameter 27 spline shafts like a stock Dana 35 comes with from the factory.

The Super 35 kit comes with 1541H 30 spline axle shafts which are slightly stronger than a Dana 44's carbon steel 30 spline shafts and probably roughly on a par strength-wise with the 8.8's carbon steel 31 spline axle shafts.

As I said a couple times above, a quality Super 35 kit with 30 spline shafts like from Revolution Gear will have absolutely zero issues with 35's on the Rubicon Trail.

That an axle is a C-clip type has no bearing on its strength. Zero, nada. The C-clip is not the issue at all and it does NOT reduce the axle shaft's strength. The only issue to be concerned with is the axle shaft itself strong enough regardless of if it is a C-clip design or not. For one example, the Ford 8.8 axle is a C-clip axle and I sure don't see people talking about the 8.8 showing any concern for that. Why? Because it has 31 spline axle shafts, not the smaller diameter 27 spline shafts like a stock Dana 35 comes with from the factory.

The Super 35 kit comes with 1541H 30 spline axle shafts which are slightly stronger than a Dana 44's carbon steel 30 spline shafts and probably roughly on a par strength-wise with the 8.8's carbon steel 31 spline axle shafts.

As I said a couple times above, a quality Super 35 kit with 30 spline shafts like from Revolution Gear will have absolutely zero issues with 35's on the Rubicon Trail.

Jerry,

A little off from the OP, but I am thinking of up grading my 05 Rubicon Dana 44 rear axle. Any suggestions on what's some of the better Chrom replacement shafts

Thanks

Jerry,

A little off from the OP, but I am thinking of up grading my 05 Rubicon Dana 44 rear axle. Any suggestions on what's some of the better Chrom replacement shafts

Thanks
Revolution Gear makes some nice 4140 (corrected) direct replacement alloy shafts for your Rubicon axles, that's what I'm running in the rear. https://www.4lowparts.com/shop/dana-44-rear-axle-kit-jeep-jk-rak50/ . That link is for their USA made lifetime warranty shafts, they have another line of less expensive imported shafts that are available too. Ricky at that website can steer you to what you need. :)

Last edited:
Revolution Gear makes some nice 4340 direct replacement alloy shafts for your Rubicon axles, that's what I'm running in the rear. :)

What's the difference between 4140 and 4340 ?

This is from there website

Note sure of the differences in these two kits ? Unless it's the second one is US made and a lifetime warranty vs a 10 year warranty and $250.00

SKU: DC-Dana 44-TJ-1
BRAND:
Revolution Gear and Axle
CATEGORY:
Axles
Discovery Series
Dana Discovery Series Rear Axle Shafts
PRICE: $317.80

Dana 44, 4140 Chromoly Discovery series 30 Spline Rear Axle Kit for 1987-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ/LJ Rubicon and Non-Rubicon With Disc Brakes. All Revolution Rear Axle Kits come with the Bearings seals and retainers 100 Percent pressed together and ready to install and are backed by a 10 year warranty. (Note: wheel studs are included in kit but not installed into the axles . Install studs using red Loctite and torque to 90Ft-Lbs).

SKU: RAK44-1
BRAND:
Revolution Gear and Axle
CATEGORY:
Axles
American made
Dana USA Made Rear Axle Shafts
PRICE: $564.29

Revolution Gear and Axle Dana 44, 4140 Chromoly US Made 30 Spline Rear Axle Kit for 1987-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ/LJ Rubicon and Non-Rubicon With Disc Brakes , No Locker included. All Revolution Rear Axle Kits come with the Bearings seals and retainers 100 Percent pressed together and ready to install and are backed by a comprehensive lifetime warranty that covers all failures including bent shafts. Revolution Gear and AxleРІР‚в„ўs US Made axles utilize 4140 Chromoly for maximum strength and a lifetime of trouble free performance. Our US Made axles are induction hardened with rolled splines. THIS BATCH IS PRESS IN STUDS. READY TO INSTALL!

What's the difference between 4140 and 4340 ?
My error, I zoned out typing 4340 where their axles are concerned. The strength is similar though the 4340 has a bit more 'give'. Their 4140 shafts will be fine. The cost difference stems from the US made shafts being made/forged by Foote Foundry in Los Angeles and coming with a lifetime warranty, the other shafts being imported but with similar specs. Either would be fine.

My error, I zoned out typing 4340 where their axles are concerned. The strength is similar though the 4340 has a bit more 'give'. Their 4140 shafts will be fine. The cost difference stems from the US made shafts being made/forged by Foote Foundry in Los Angeles and coming with a lifetime warranty, the other shafts being imported but with similar specs. Either would be fine.
Thanks for the advice