Will an AX15 transmission from a 97 TJ fit into a 93 YJ?

JEEP GC

Would anyone know if a 1997 TJ 4.0l 5spd transmission fit into a 93 YJ. If so are there any modifications that need to be made. Thanks

The 93 yj will probably be internal slave so that will need to be addressed. They do interchange as long as engine size stays the same. If the yj is a 2.5 then you add headaches but still doable

Yes, it will fit then. The only thing you may need I believe is a different pilot bearing.

Correct. Somewhere around 92/93 (I dont remember) the pilot bearing size changed from .59" to .75". Your transmission will have .75" tip. Measure the pilot bearing size in the YJ. If it is of the smaller variety, you will need to utilize part number PB77. Its a pilot bushing from a CJ with the 304. It will have the correct OD for the 4.0 and ID for the large transmission tip.

Reactions: Chris
Correct. Somewhere around 92/93 (I dont remember) the pilot bearing size changed from .59" to .75". Your transmission will have .75" tip. Measure the pilot bearing size in the YJ. If it is of the smaller variety, you will need to utilize part number PB77. Its a pilot bushing from a CJ with the 304. It will have the correct OD for the 4.0 and ID for the large transmission tip.

As far as I am aware the 0.75 pilot bearing is 92+ and the 0.59 pilot bearing is 91 and older. The 91 and older engines also used a different pilot bearing outer diameter so that would correlate with the transmission change.

Pretty certain 92-93 were 0.75 and of course internal slave, and then 94+ became the new version with the continued 0.75 tip and the external slave design. And the same trans was used from 94-95 YJ to 97-99 TJ as well except with a different shifter stick design.

PB77 will fit the OD of the older engine and the ID of the .75" tip, if that is required. If the cut off date (for pilot bearing switch) is 1992, he should be good to go on the swap.

Reactions: machoheadgames