Will factory length shocks on a 4 inch lift cause a bad ride?

GBSB

Supporting Member
I have a 1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2.5 L 5 Speed. I have read that the way to tell if I have a lift is to measure the length of the springs. Factory front springs are 12 inches and rear are 8 inches. anything over 12 inches is how much lift I have. My front is 16 inches so if this is correct, I have a 4-inch lift. After i got the Jeep, I put new shocks on it. not knowing it was lifted I put stock shocks on. Question will this cause a really bad ride? also cause steering to be jerky or to wander a little. I have a rattle in the back that sounds like the shocks are loose, but they are not. Thanks in advance for any help, I am new to Jeeps and have no idea what to expect. they definitely drive a lot different than my old Corvette.

Your shocks are too short and (corrected) very likely could be the cause of your bad rid. Some shocks ride great, other shocks are so stiff and jarring they'll shake your fillings out. What brand and model shock absorber did you install?

Steering wander while on a smooth road is alignment related, either insufficient caster angle or a bad toe-in angle. Steering wander/jerking back & forth while driving over bumps and dips is called bump steer. Fortunately bump steer is usually easily fixed since it is most commonly caused by someone having installed a dropped Pitman arm which screws up the steering geometry which causes bump steer. Replacing a dropped pitman arm is pretty easy, you just need a factory Pitman arm to replace it if you're actually experiencing what I described as bump steer. It is common to see a dropped Pitman arm with a 4" suspension lift, though they seldom should have one installed.

Pitman arms.jpg

FrontEnd.jpg

If the shocks are sufficiently too short or too long for the ride height, that can absolutely result in a poor ride quality resulting from the suspension regularly running out of travel on one end of the shock stroke.

I have a standard pitman arm. I replaced it and the steering box together. If I get shocks that are for a 3 1/2-4 inch lift that should do the trick Am I correct ? Not saying that will fix everything but should help with the ride . Not expecting a ride like a Cadillac but better than a buckboard.

I have a standard pitman arm. I replaced it and the steering box together. If I get shocks that are for a 3 1/2-4 inch lift that should do the trick Am I correct ? Not saying that will fix everything but should help with the ride . Not expecting a ride like a Cadillac but better than a buckboard.

Choosing a shock based on lift height is no guarantee that a shock is the appropriate length for a given setup. You want shocks where the travel stroke is closely divided in half at the normal ride height. That allows the valving to work as well as it can. At that point, you are at the mercy of the shock tune to create a desirable ride quality.

Better riding appropriate length shocks will fix your ride, Rancho's gas charged RS5000x would be a great choice. Note the x at the end of that. The older hydraulic RS5000 is way too stiff riding. I used to run the RS5000x and they're tied for my 1st place for the best ride. What they tied with is no longer made.

Thanks I very seldom get of road. Dirt roads and back roads yes. This old girl is a daily driver that doubles as a pull behind for our truck camper when we go somewhere. Replaced everything on it but the motor and the paint. Both of those are in fair shape.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Thanks I very seldom get of road. Dirt roads and back roads yes. This old girl is a daily driver that doubles as a pull behind for our truck camper when we go somewhere. Replaced everything on it but the motor and the paint. Both of those are in fair shape.

Almost anything that gets discussed here regarding proper setup and adjustment is as applicable for on road travel as it is for off road. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Better riding shocks will fix your ride, Rancho's gas charged RS5000x would be a great choice. Note the x at the end of that. The older hydraulic RS5000 is way too stiff riding. I used to run the RS5000x and they're tied for my 1st place for the best ride. What they tied with is no longer made.

You should be getting comp’d from Rancho but an online retailer is missing the boat here too. Then it would be where is the best place to buy these highly recommended shocks, use PROMO code JBransford at check out! Do it all above board- Buyer saves 5% and you get a little something -something every month. To both support the habit/and keep you well in your retirement👍.

Your shocks are too short but that won't cause a bad ride which is caused simply by the shock choice. Some shocks ride great, other shocks are so stiff and jarring they'll shake your fillings out. What brand and model shock absorber did you install?

Steering wander while on a smooth road is alignment related, either insufficient caster angle or a bad toe-in angle. Steering wander/jerking back & forth while driving over bumps and dips is called bump steer. Fortunately bump steer is usually easily fixed since it is most commonly caused by someone having installed a dropped Pitman arm which screws up the steering geometry which causes bump steer. Replacing a dropped pitman arm is pretty easy, you just need a factory Pitman arm to replace it if you're actually experiencing what I described as bump steer. It is common to see a dropped Pitman arm with a 4" suspension lift, though they seldom should have one installed.

View attachment 405078

View attachment 405079

If he has a 4" lift on stock shock length that probably puts him close to if not at 0" downtravel. You don't think that will make it ride like ass regardless of who made them?

If he has a 4" lift on stock shock length that probably puts him close to if not at 0" downtravel. You don't think that will make it ride like ass regardless of who made them?
That very well could be, I wasn't considering a lack of downtravel at the time.

🤣

I can't help it.

🤣🤣

You should be getting comp’d from Rancho but an online retailer is missing the boat here too. Then it would be where is the best place to buy these highly recommended shocks, use PROMO code JBransford at check out! Do it all above board- Buyer saves 5% and you get a little something -something every month. To both support the habit/and keep you well in your retirement👍.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he was given a free set of Rancho Shocks to Raffle off at a Clean Up Event.

Look around Social Media these days and what people will do or say to receive free products.
Especially feel sorry for the folks that pimp shitty products like Milestar tires to their followers
and never apologize that they lead them down the wrong path.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he was given a free set of Rancho Shocks to Raffle off at a Clean Up Event.
Yes Rancho was one of the sponsors and gave a free set of shocks for a Friends of Calico desert cleanup event I participated in that was given away to a cleanup participant. Do you have a problem with that? Mrblaine was another one of the sponsors there, do you have a problem with that too?

Yes Rancho was one of the sponsors and gave a free set of shocks for a Friends of Calico desert cleanup event I participated in that was given away to a cleanup participant. Do you have a problem with that? Mrblaine was another one of the sponsors there, do you have a problem with that too?

No problem at all I appreciate what you and other's have done out at Calico. Off Road enthusiasts here on the west coast are fortunate to have public lands to recreate on but everyday groups are fighting to keep our land open. People should buy products from companies that support or sport and Rancho and BMB did that and good for them.
It's just my opinion but you go way overboard promoting certain products and your posts seem like advertisements. I don't know your motivation behind that guessing only because your expecting some sort of compensation or free merchandise. Lastly I don't think I've every read a post where BMB promted his business other than answering questions and giving guidance.

• Face Palm
Reactions: NashvilleTJ
I recommend products that work well for ME and I don't recommend products that don't. They are my personal opinions which is what these forums are all about. I loved the ride of the RS5000x, for example, which is based on having installed a half-dozen other brands that were not nearly as good overall to ME. And there are Rancho shocks, for example, that I recommend against like the RS5000 and have said I wish I had not gone to the stiffer riding Rancho RS9000xl I'm currently running. Not to mention some REALLY shitty shocks, like the Rubicon Express Monotubes, ProComps, etc. that I have installed since 1996 when I bought my TJ which makes other shocks seem great in comparison.

So if you don't like my posts, place me on ignore right now. Plain and simple.

My stuff doesn't make your rig ride like ass, so there is that. That and most of my sponsorship stuff over the years was consumed on site since I supplied more food and refreshments than anything else.