Will I be disappointed with Currie Antirock for on-road driving?

It is indeed the optimal setting for me.....more articulation equates to offroad performance.

Optimal based on what? How much front shock travel does yours have? At what setting does the AR start to restrict your shock travel during articulation?

Here is the same moment on mine. ~11" travel front shocks with the AR on the middle setting. The shocks are positioned to use nearly all of their travel. The low tire was hanging from the extended shock. The stuffed side was fractions of an inch from fully compressing the jounce into the cup.
IMG-5019.jpg
688AC200-50EA-4370-B11C-062E17E7059A.jpeg

I strongly believe mine could go even stiffer and still do what it does without restriction. And the Jeep would be even more stable in it's movements.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Impressive in a pose but overall travel will be greater rolling down the trail in the softest setting.

You're saying the Antirock will overpower the shocks ability to control the movement?

Have you tried the stiffer settings?

You're saying the Antirock will overpower the shocks ability to control the movement?

Have you tried the stiffer settings?

I decided on the softest before I installed from my experience from running back and forth to trails with swaybar disconnected......I liked the way it felt.

Why does the AR have several different settings if nothing physically happens ?
Are you say the stiffest setting feels exactly like the softest offroad ?

I think what he is getting at is that we (AR owners) have collectively decided that a sway bar is better than no sway bar so long as it doesn't limit travel.

Now the question becomes how stiff of a sway bar do we want. KOH race cars run sway bars so there must be a benefit to some sway control even offroad. So, how much do we want?

Reactions: jjvw

Why does the AR have several different settings if nothing physically happens ?
Are you say the stiffest setting feels exactly like the softest offroad ?

Where did I say nothing physically happens? My argument has always been that the AR doesn't begin to restrict movement anywhere near where most seem to think it will with our typical amounts of shock travel. Those who do leave their AR's looser than necessary (mistakingly believing they are preserving flex) are sacrificing the very stability they have the AR for in the first place. Set it to be stiff and enjoy the stability. Don't set it stiff enough to restrict the shock travel. That is all.

I will ask my usual question. Why did Currie make the AR tunable if you guys are correct that loosest is bestest?

If the flex on mine is not being restricted by the AR, it won't magically do so on a TJ with less shock travel.

Last edited:
Reactions: billiebob
I could see how it could make a single tire impact feel harder than if it were looser. IE 10mph on rock riddled trail left front hits rock, right front still on smooth surface. Stiffer sway bar would try and squat the front more than a looser bar.

I guess the question could be framed like this: Do we want the stiffest sway bar that doesn't limit overall wheel travel or do we want the softest sway bar that is liveable on road? Or something in the middle?

The best I have come up with is to balance the front and rear. Meaning the front and rear opposite corners should reach full flex at about the same point. That is about where mine is with my shock travels being a bit more than most here. I have entertained the idea of a stiffer than stock rear. At that point, I would want to made the front stiffer to match.

Reactions: billiebob
I could see how it could make a single tire impact feel harder than if it were looser. IE 10mph on rock riddled trail left front hits rock, right front still on smooth surface. Stiffer sway bar would try and squat the front more than a looser bar.

Those of us who have run disconnected should all agree that a rough gravel road is smoother when disconnected compared to the factory front. With an Antirock, the stiffer it is the closer it will resemble the factory sway bar. But not quite because the front AR can't be set as stiff as factory.

I like that concept. I bolted mine on the first day on the second loosest setting. Got used to it there and have never moved it since. Maybe one of these days I'll try the middle setting and see if I can tell a difference. I wouldn't mind slightly stiffer but I don't have trouble keeping up with most passenger cars on twisty roads as it sits. I even followed a Z car down the wrong mountain road one day because I was having fun matching his pace. Was slightly embarrased when it was a dead end and I had to drive past him on my way back out to head to the campsite.

Reactions: ejay
I drove my TJR with a broken sway bar link. I noticed a slight hesitation entering corners at speed which added a "twitch" to my driving style. I never noticed the change until we replaced the link and the "twitch" disappeared.

I learned to drive when sway bars were optional on Camaros. Not a 4x4 in the world came with sway bars. They are a great feature.... but hardly needed on an off roader.

The OP asked " will I be disappointed with AR for on-road driving "
And I responded.......having no issues with AR on softest setting.

I installed new shocks and coils and simply don't experience roll to the degree of being dissatisfied.

The OP asked " will I be disappointed with AR for on-road driving "
And I responded.......having no issues with AR on softest setting.

I installed new shocks and coils and simply don't experience roll to the degree of being dissatisfied.
I see jivw's point but I'm not taking my Antirock off its loosest setting. It works well for me as it is and I don't feel any stability issues.

Reactions: Bird and xxdabroxx
... They are a great feature.... but hardly needed on an off roader.

Leafs are not immune to the benefits of antisway bars. The only reasons we don't see them very often is because most leaf sprung suspensions are not as flexy as links/coils often are, leafs are typically slower to move compared to links/coils, and the world has become more sophisticated in its suspension designs - leaving leafs behind.

Reactions: Bird
I drove my TJR with a broken sway bar link. I noticed a slight hesitation entering corners at speed which added a "twitch" to my driving style. I never noticed the change until we replaced the link and the "twitch" disappeared.

I learned to drive when sway bars were optional on Camaros. Not a 4x4 in the world came with sway bars. They are a great feature.... but hardly needed on an off roader.

My Old's has no sway bar, 4.5" wide front tires, 12.5" wide rear tires and a spool. It's great at going in a straight line. A little sketchy passing a car at speed though and certainly sketchy if you get the fat rears spinning too fast and a little too sideways. But it's great for traction on a flat drag strip. It's also a lot lower to the ground than the TJ.

I've only driven my jeep a few times without the front sway bar before I got the AR so I don't have much to pull from memory as to the feeling of no sway bar.